Confirmed with Link: Devils Sign RW Wayne Simmonds (1 Yr., $5,000,000)

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Even in his worst season, he scored 17??? While shooting his lowest % ever in reality???

That's likely to be within the top 5-6 goal scorers on this team, worst case scenario.
he wasn't brought in to score 30 goals.. the team is trying to add muscle and toughness to a lineup of mostly undersized skill guys.. simmonds and howden(sp) are examples. bastian and mcleod. also add that type of play so they can start to cycle the puck and get trash in front

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
he wasn't brought in to score 30 goals.. the team is trying to add muscle and toughness to a lineup of mostly undersized skill guys.. simmonds and howden(sp) are examples. bastian and mcleod. also add that type of play so they can start to cycle the puck and get trash in front
I have it as:
Hall: 30 goals
Palmieri: 30
Nico: 20-25
Bratt: 18-22
Hughes: 15-20
Coleman: 15-20
Wood: 15-20
Simmonds: 15-20
Zajac: 10-15
Zacha: 10-15

I expect NJ to have at least ten 10 goal scorers.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Hynes played Bratt, Hischier, and Butcher major minutes as rookies. He gave Blackwood a lot of games last year.

if rookies earn their time, they will play.

Bratt should have played more, Nico is (obviously) a special case, Butcher had #4'ish minutes which I guess is about right, Blackwood as if there was a choice.

I just dont think Hynes trusts young players as much as lots of other coaches do.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Bratt should have played more, Nico is (obviously) a special case, Butcher had #4'ish minutes which I guess is about right, Blackwood as if there was a choice.

I just dont think Hynes trusts young players as much as lots of other coaches do.
Bratt crashed late in the season most likely due to fatigue.

Reactions: Missionhockey

haak84

Oct 18, 2017

Bratt was averaging 17+ minutes in his final 11 games. Hynes was playing him more as he was playing better

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
If there is one criticism that I do not have with Hynes is his handling of ice time and situations with young players. I think he does an exceptional job in that realm. World's better than DeBoer.

Reactions: R8NJD and Triumph

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
True, just my initial feel on the signing. Did anyone try to build lines with him yet? Hypothetically if nothing else changed?

This maybe moot anyway as there's still half an off season to go, who the hell knows who signs or gets dished out before October.
Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Zacha-Hughes-Palms
Coleman-Zajac-Simmonds
Wood/Boqvist-Rooney/Mcleod-Anderson/Wood

Smith-Subban
Butcher-Sevs
Greene-Vats
Mueller

1A Cory-1B MBW

Is what I hope and believe we're looking at if the season started tomorrow.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I think he’ll be a third-liner. I could see a line of Coleman - Zajac - Simmonds being very effective. All of those guys can chip in 30-40 points and bring a nice mixture of grit and intensity, plus Coleman & Zajac can cover up Simmonds’ defensive shortcomings.

Top six right now should be Hall, Hischier, Hughes, Palmieri & Bratt with one wing spot open for competition; be it another addition or the internal competition between Boqvist, Zacha, Wood & Anderson. The rest of those guys can form a skilled 4th line that can play sheltered minutes and offer a change of pace on nights where one of the other lines is struggling.

Rooney & Hayden are probably the 13th & 14th forwards, two veteran guys who can play in a pinch and bring another dimension to the table if we need a heavier/grindier lineup against certain teams.

McLeod, Bastian and others (maybe even Anderson) should be in Bingo unless they legitimately earn themselves a spot. There’s no point them being extras in the NHL when we have guys like Rooney & Hayden to fill that role and play 30-40 games each throughout the season.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I have it as:
Hall: 30 goals
Palmieri: 30
Nico: 20-25
Bratt: 18-22
Hughes: 15-20
Coleman: 15-20
Wood: 15-20
Simmonds: 15-20
Zajac: 10-15
Zacha: 10-15

I expect NJ to have at least ten 10 goal scorers.
You think we're going to score less than 225 goals next year?

That's not even a bubble team.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
you forgot about the DMen...

he also only listed 10 forwards
Whoops.

But I did toss an extra 20 goals on to the total and went with the high number for most of his guesses.

Regardless, I think it's low.

For example I think the Devils are in real trouble if Hall puts up 30, Zajac 13, Zacha 13, Hughes 17 and Nico 20.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

You don't pay attention to other teams then. Every educated fan base laments its coach's use of young players. Hynes is better than most with this - a lot of coaches would not have had any patience with a player like Bratt, who makes the high risk play.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If there is one criticism that I do not have with Hynes is his handling of ice time and situations with young players. I think he does an exceptional job in that realm. World's better than DeBoer.

I don't think it is really fair to compare to the two coaches use of young players...Their objectives and situations were both opposite ends of the spectrum. One was trying to win and the other has been a rebuilding coach for the last 4 years.

But I also think that is a bit of a false narrative too.

First there weren't many good young players while DeBoer was here...Besides Severson and Larsson just about every single "young" player that was here during DeBoer's time is out of the league today...In that regard, DeBoer handled those players appropriately in my opinion.

I personally thought DeBoer handled Severson very well. DeBoer also gave Adam Larsson tons of opportunity his rookie year and allowed him to play in most situations. Capable players got their fair shot under DeBoer.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I don't think it is really fair to compare to the two coaches use of young players...Their objectives and situations were both opposite ends of the spectrum. One was trying to win and the other has been a rebuilding coach for the last 4 years.

But I also think that is a bit of a false narrative too.

First there weren't many good young players while DeBoer was here...Besides Severson and Larsson just about every single "young" player that was here during DeBoer's time is out of the league today...In that regard, DeBoer handled those players appropriately in my opinion.

I personally thought DeBoer handled Severson very well. DeBoer also gave Adam Larsson tons of opportunity his rookie year and allowed him to play in most situations. Capable players got their fair shot under DeBoer.

While that may be true here, Panthers fans had the same general perception of DeBoer's handling of younger players during his time in Florida as well.

Larsson was the one that our fans seem to never really forgive him for.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Sharks fans have the same perception now. And I don't think it's limited to DeBoer at all - it's just a leaguewide thing.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
While that may be true here, Panthers fans had the same general perception of DeBoer's handling of younger players during his time in Florida as well.

Larsson was the one that our fans seem to never really forgive him for.
Most of our fans refused to admit how bad Larsson was far long stretches also.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad