Confirmed with Link: Devils Sign John Moore, 3 years, $1.6M AAV

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
A 1.6 million dollar contract is the price of a 3rd pairing D. I rather we signed Paul Martin, but whatever.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
PK - Greene/Larsson, Merrill/Severson
PP - Gelinas/Larsson, Moore/Severson

Is my guess atm

What about Zajac?:sarcasm:

I might go Moore Lars and Gelinas Sev's. Maybe.

I think there plenty of PP options. Greene and Merrill could certainly both play PP.

But we do look limited in terms of PK, if this is our 6.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What about Zajac?:sarcasm:

I might go Moore Lars and Gelinas Sev's. Maybe.

I think there plenty of PP options. Greene and Merrill could certainly both play PP.

But we do look limited in terms of PK, if this is our 6.

I'd flip my **** if we had to deal with Zajac on the point again :laugh:

Merrill and Greene can obviously play the PP but that's the point where you want to get a couple of the big four a few shifts off if possible.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
We have cap space and needed a LH good enough to play with Larsson/Severson.

Great deal by SJS.

Bruns/Martin
Braun/Vlasic

Is a great top 6.

But Martin would totally squeeze Merrill out. Unless that's the plan, but i don't see how that is beneficial right now. Already selling low, then take away leverage.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
But Martin would totally squeeze Merrill out. Unless that's the plan, but i don't see how that is beneficial right now. Already selling low, then take away leverage.

Well it squeezes him out for the next 2 years. Martin could be a 3rd pairing the final 2 years of his deal if Merrill really improves.

Doesn't matter - Shero clearly wants a very young team with this signing.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Was kinda meh on this signing when I first heard of it going down. Now that I'm home and actually looked at it a bit more, like it quite a bit. Really low cost/risk signing on a young LHD that can skate well. I remember liking his game in Columbus, not sure how he played with the Rags and Yotes but I think he'll be fine with us.

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT
I just remember Moore skating like a bat out of hell against us whenever we played the Rangers. So we are going all young on D, fine with me.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Our Average Age on Defense going into the season: 24.33
Our Average Age on Offense going into the season: 29.33

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

The defense and the offense should be reversed.

I think you've discovered our rebuild timeline maxtrix...When the ages cross our team will be rebuilt :)

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

I like it. A lot of fossils coming off the shelves next off-season as well. The youth movement is on, now it's just a case of if they're ready.

Last edited:

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I don't think it is too big a leap to think that the further addition of defensive talent might indicate a current player could be on the move.

If not immediately then perhaps down the line a bit when a Santini, a Jacobs, a Mozik, or Helg etc are ready to play in the league.

Edit: Especially when 4 of the 6 are lefties.

That's what makes people think Gelly is on the move - the amount of LHDs.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Time for someone to kick the door down. We have a lot of kids. Just a matter of finding a few who will stick.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a few new, young faces at the beginning of the season make the team out of camp. Guys like Coleman and Zacha (not much of a surprise, but still) could be primed to take a spot. Exciting stuff really, might make watching this team bearable again.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Wouldn't be surprised to see a few new, young faces at the beginning of the season make the team out of camp. Guys like Coleman and Zacha (not much of a surprise, but still) could be primed to take a spot. Exciting stuff really, might make watching this team bearable again.

Lots of teams have an unknown or two break out and become NHLers.

Idea is to see if we can fill a spot or two with our own kids.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I like the Moore signing, but it feels like people didn't pay attention to him last year / have overly high expectations.

Moore couldn't win the 6D job with the Rangers vs. Matt Hunwick. Moore made so many poor decisions he went from a key part of Gaborik deal to benched / a throw-in on the Yandle deal to not being qualified by the Coyotes (!). Again, Moore was on a 1 year, $850k contract and wasn't qualified. I think that's a poor front office decision by the Coyotes, but still, penciling Moore into any sort of regular role with the Devils seems way premature.

I see this signing as bottom pair competition. If Moore is more than a rotating #6, I'll be thrilled.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That's what makes people think Gelly is on the move - the amount of LHDs.

Gelly played better on the right side last year though so I don't see that as a big deal yet. Especially when most of our prospect D are also RH'ers. There's no evidence the new staff's going to be as anal as the old staff about restricting handedness to the same side.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Our bottom pairing will be a rotation of Gelinas, Moore, Mozik, and Hraberenka. I like the sound of that. Lots of goals will be scored by both teams.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 27s27 seconds ago

Shero said John Moore played really well for U.S. at world championships. Didn't know he'd be available until Coyotes didn't give hin QO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad