Confirmed with Link: Devils Sign John Moore, 3 years, $1.6M AAV

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kelly, Scarlett and Burlon are simply not NHL calibre, Scarlett may eventually get there but he's still a long way away. No idea about Mozik but i get the impression he's not going to be NHL ready for quite a while either, probably needs at least one entire season in the AHL to adjust to playing over here.

We may have something in Hrabarenka and Helgeson, but one has 0 NHL games under his belt and Helgeson looked nothing more than steady his short stint this season. Neither are sure things to contribute meaningfully this season.

Moores has 230 NHL games, he's proven he can handle the rigors of the NHL even if it's just performing at the level of a bottom pairing guy. That's pretty impressive considering he's just 24 and still has just as much room to develop and grow as guys like Helgeson/Hrabarenka do.

For such a small financial cost there's nothing to dislike about this deal, if one of our youngsters eventually comes through and displaces him from the lineup we can easily trade him for a late round pick. Far worse players on far worse contracts get traded for peanuts every year to deeps suffering from injuries/depth issues heading into the playoffs, it's not like this contract is an anchor to us.
Hrabarenka actually did play one NHL game. I was there too. I think it was that game in TB at the end of the season. Then he was sent back to Albany before the finale in Sunrise. I don't remember much about that night though. Just wanting to locate Mike Foligno and personally express my rage to him, for our PK giving up 3 PP goals that night. And his excessive use of Mark Fraser on the PK, who was even worse that game than his usual awful and abomination self.
Is Harrold officially gone?

Shero didn't close the door, just said he was going to let him look around. Same for Bernier, though he officially completely close the door on Gomez.

I'm gonna say he is though.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Greene - Severson
Gelinas - Larsson
Moore - Merrill
Helgeson

Kelly - Hrbarenka
Burlon - Mozik
TBD - Scarlett

I don't think that's blocking anyone. Helgeson and Hrbarenka will compete for the 7th spot. Injuries will inevitably occur. Everyone will get a chance.

Merrill hasn't done very well on the right side in the past

And the notion of Gelinas playing up minutes over anyone is even more strange.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I think the writing is on the wall for Gelinas personally, wouldn't be surprised to see him gone.

Greene - Larsson
Merrill - Severson
Moore - Hrabarenka/Mozik
Helgeson

Something like that.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Because he's no better than Fraser, Burlon, Dan Kelly brah.

I never said he was no better than Burlon or Kelly.... I said he and Fraser had identical numbers last year and anyone can play those 14 5v5 minutes a game. It didn't make sense to add another 14 minute 6th dman when we can rotate a bunch of players to do that job.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Not necessarily. It depends on who and what spot.

Where else would a good vet who can anchor a pairing play? I don't think you can find a guy like that to play 14 mpg.

Not to mention that would still leave the 2nd pairing with 2 young players.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You don't sign Moore to trade a guy like Gelinas or Merrill. You sign Oduya or Martin to trade a guy like Gelinas or Merrill.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
You don't sign Moore to trade a guy like Gelinas or Merrill. You sign Oduya or Martin to trade a guy like Gelinas or Merrill.

Well I think that logic would suggest the Moore signing means Gelinas gets the boot.

An Oduya signing would indicate Merrill.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ

Bingo. Some of the "feelings" that I've read over the past season on this forum have had no basis in reality.

John Moore is not a replacement to Gelinas or Merrill. He's supplementing what we already have. We lost 3 veterans today, 4 if we include Zidlicky. We were almost always going to bring on at least one more with NHL experience. We got one cheap that can be easily replaced if he's outplayed by a prospect or if hes garbage. Its the definition of a flexible signing in every respect.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Where else would a good vet who can anchor a pairing play? I don't think you can find a guy like that to play 14 mpg.

Not to mention that would still leave the 2nd pairing with 2 young players.

You can have a 3rd pairing guy easily get 18 to 20 minutes , whether it be Merrill or a vet. You go with more evenly disturbed minutes 5v5...and the differences comes from special teams.

A veteran Stay at home guy playing 15 to 16 5v5 minutes and #1 PK is going to come in close to/around 19/20 minutes a night...Volchenkov was 12 minutes 5v5 and coming around 16 minutes a game with PK.

That makes more sense to me.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Merrill hasn't done very well on the right side in the past

And the notion of Gelinas playing up minutes over anyone is even more strange.

Gelinas and Larsson were a solid pairing in the past, and I figured Merrill could stabilized Moore's erratic play. Switch him and Moore if you must.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF

didnt mean it in relation to the Moore signing. just saying.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
We had 5 NHL defensemen. Now we have 6. How does that indicate one of the other 6 is on the move? The leaps in logic around here...

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Whatever the plan, like the mozik Kalinin and Blandisi, we are adding young pieces to the mix while not sacrificing any of the pieces we already held. All at very reasonable contracts.

I'm all for it.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
We had 5 NHL defensemen. Now we have 6. How does that indicate one of the other 6 is on the move? The leaps in logic around here...

I don't think it is too big a leap to think that the further addition of defensive talent might indicate a current player could be on the move.

If not immediately then perhaps down the line a bit when a Santini, a Jacobs, a Mozik, or Helg etc are ready to play in the league.

Edit: Especially when 4 of the 6 are lefties.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think it is too big a leap to think that the further addition of defensive talent might indicate a current player could be on the move.

If not immediately then perhaps down the line a bit when a Santini, a Jacobs, a Mozik, or Helg etc are ready to play in the league.

Edit: Especially when 4 of the 6 are lefties.

Eventually there probably will be a move regardless of whether they'd signed anyone or not today when the Santinis, Jacobs and whoever else start becoming NHL-ready.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
And that is another thing who is the 2nd unit PK?

Looking at the numbers it doesn't look like Moore has ever been a PKer....which is another reason this is a head scratcher.

Really none of the things we needed were addressed by this signing. It seems even more odd than I initially thought it was.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It is going to be interesting to see how the pairings shake out. Merrill looks like he might have to be the responsible half of a pairing again.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
PK - Greene/Larsson, Merrill/Severson
PP - Gelinas/Larsson, Moore/Severson

Is my guess atm

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00