Confirmed with Link: Devils Sign John Moore, 3 years, $1.6M AAV

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
He has been sheltered his whole career...That is indicative of 6th Dman

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1464

He is 24 years old. He hasn't gotten the chance but he shows he has some very good tools.

Plus he fits with what Shero wants out of our team. He's going to be in a system that seems to fit very well to his game -- that being the fast, attacking, and supportive mantra Shero has been talking about.

Realistically, only one of Mozik, Hrabrenka, or Helgeson would have been on the team this year. This does not change that. Instead of adding Beauchemin or Oduya or Martin, Shero decides to add a young 24 year old for a lot cheaper.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
We still could use 1 more tough/physical veteran defenseman on the roster.

I think Shero can get one via UFA or trade before Sept camp.
Maybe to be a 7th dman.

I think our current group of defensemen could get pushed around a little.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
With this signing we now have three 2009 1st round picks playing for us.

20th-JJ
21st-John Moore
26th-Palmieri

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Maybe this makes Merrill expendable.

Not really...I don't get why people think this makes anyone expendable. We needed another d-man to fill out the starting lineup unless you wanted to hand Hulk or Hraberenka a spot. Neither one of them really has to play everyday. If one forces his way into the lineup you can always have Moore as the #7 ftm.

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone
Yeah we probably needed a young cheap 6/7 dman we don't have any of that.

Reece Scarlett 21 year old D
Raman Hrabarenka 22 years old D
Vojtech Mozik 22 years old D
Seth Helgeson 23 years old D
Brandon Burlon 24 years old D
Dan Kelly 25 years old D

What's really funny is that in addition to incorrectly blabbering about how Moore is older then Helgeson (which he isn't and it literally took 20 seconds to confirm that) is that Moore has been in the NHL for 4 seasons now.

Helgeson has 22 NHL games to his name but evidently he's more deserving of the spot then the guy who's already been in the league for 4 years.

You crack me up Jim, you really do. Sometimes I wonder if you say dumb things just to piss people off on here.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
What's the problem with this signing?

The problem is some would rather start a scrub like Mark Fraser or guys like Dan Kelly and Brandon Burlon as the 6/7 defenseman than John Moore. I get the desire for a defensive physical defenseman like Helgeson, but Helgeson didn't look too great last year and Moore has proven he's an NHL caliber defenseman. But again, Dan Kelly should've gotten a look first. Plus his huge 1.6 million a year dead will kill us as we went from 21 mil under the cap to 19.3 under the cap. That's gonna be a tough pill to swallow.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Realistically, only one of Mozik, Hrabrenka, or Helgeson would have been on the team this year. This does not change that. Instead of adding Beauchemin or Oduya or Martin, Shero decides to add a young 24 year old for a lot cheaper.
First, you or anyone else have no idea who realistically has a chance...we have some very good skating Dmen and Burlon is 100% one of them...not a single one of us know what the new staff will be looking for or how they will establish roles.

Second if you consider Helgeson to realistically have a chance he was just knocked down the depth chart on the left side Assuming Greene-Merrill and Moore are the left side.

As I said in my first post, I don't have a problem with any of this, it just doesn't make any sense and I see it as largely unnecessary.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I'd rather have Oduya than Moore. Don't mind spending the extra two million.

Zero chance that Oduya was coming here for $3.6MM – he’ll probably cash in over $4MM with a contender. Aside from familiarity with the organization, there was no reason Oduya was ever a realistic option for the Devils unless they wanted to throw a ton of cash to him.

Not really...I don't get why people think this makes anyone expendable. We needed another d-man to fill out the starting lineup unless you wanted to hand Hulk or Hraberenka a spot. Neither one of them really has to play everyday. If one forces his way into the lineup you can always have Moore as the #7 ftm.

Exactly, the only way someone becomes expendable is because one of the younger guys steps up and takes a spot like Severson did last year, which wouldn’t be the worst problem to have. Nobody is expendable at this point though. I just hope Moore is coming in without the expectation that he’s guaranteed a spot in the lineup every night just because of his salary.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Complaining about Moore over Burlon, Dan Kelly, Fraser and other scrubs, is like the outrage over the Urbom waiving.

Actually it's even more ridiculous IMO.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
First, you or anyone else have no idea who realistically has a chance...we have some very good skating Dmen and Burlon is 100% one of them...not a single one of us know what the new staff will be looking for or how they will establish roles.

Second if you consider Helgeson to realistically have a chance he was just knocked down the depth chart on the left side Assuming Greene-Merrill and Moore are the left side.

As I said in my first post, I don't have a problem with any of this, it just doesn't make any sense and I see it as largely unnecessary.

We still needed one more NHL defenseman. Moore is a fine option and still young.

He fits right into the age of our team and he has some upside. I personally believed that there was one spot open for the current AHL guys and Mozik and this does not change that.

Greene, Larsson, Merrill, Moore, Gelinas, and Severson. There is still one more spot for one of our young guys to earn a spot.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We still needed one more NHL defenseman. Moore is a fine option and still young.

He fits right into the age of our team and he has some upside. I personally believed that there was one spot open for the current AHL guys and Mozik and this does not change that.

Greene, Larsson, Merrill, Moore, Gelinas, and Severson. There is still one more spot for one of our young guys to earn a spot.

There is no question we needed another Dman...I don't get adding another bottom pairing guy...anyone we already have can give a solid 14 minutes 5v5.

We needed a more steady and established Dman to help with our young players....Moore is not that. He is exactly the opposite. He is another Dman that NEEDS the anchor....

I don't get this at all. Sorry. It doesn't make one bit of sense to me.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
There should be no complaint over the Moore signing at all. We were never going to go into camp with only 5 guys with NHL experience making up our defense. Never.

Moore is young, a good skater, and it was cheap. The absolute worst case scenario is he's waived and sent to Albany, dumped for a bag of pucks, or bought out. Its 1.6M for a young player that can be inserted in the defensive corps without having to throw a kid directly into the fire and if a kid outplays him, the same situation arises. Its no risk.

Complaining about this signing is complaining for the sake of complaining and nitpicking at its worst.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Yeah we probably needed a young cheap 6/7 dman we don't have any of that.

Reece Scarlett 21 year old D
Raman Hrabarenka 22 years old D
Vojtech Mozik 22 years old D
Seth Helgeson 23 years old D
Brandon Burlon 24 years old D
Dan Kelly 25 years old D

Kelly, Scarlett and Burlon are simply not NHL calibre, Scarlett may eventually get there but he's still a long way away. No idea about Mozik but i get the impression he's not going to be NHL ready for quite a while either, probably needs at least one entire season in the AHL to adjust to playing over here.

We may have something in Hrabarenka and Helgeson, but one has 0 NHL games under his belt and Helgeson looked nothing more than steady his short stint this season. Neither are sure things to contribute meaningfully this season.

Moores has 230 NHL games, he's proven he can handle the rigors of the NHL even if it's just performing at the level of a bottom pairing guy. That's pretty impressive considering he's just 24 and still has just as much room to develop and grow as guys like Helgeson/Hrabarenka do.

For such a small financial cost there's nothing to dislike about this deal, if one of our youngsters eventually comes through and displaces him from the lineup we can easily trade him for a late round pick. Far worse players on far worse contracts get traded for peanuts every year to deeps suffering from injuries/depth issues heading into the playoffs, it's not like this contract is an anchor to us.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
There is no question we needed another Dman...I don't get adding another bottom pairing guy...anyone we already have can give a solid 14 minutes 5v5.

We needed a more steady and established Dman to help with our young players.
...Moore is not that. He is exactly the opposite. He is another Dman that NEEDS the anchor....

I don't get this at all. Sorry. It doesn't make one bit of sense to me.

Problem here is a good vet d-man who can anchor a pairing would drastically cut Merrill's minutes. Why would we want that?

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Greene - Severson
Gelinas - Larsson
Moore - Merrill
Helgeson

Kelly - Hrbarenka
Burlon - Mozik
TBD - Scarlett

I don't think that's blocking anyone. Helgeson and Hrbarenka will compete for the 7th spot. Injuries will inevitably occur. Everyone will get a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad