Low Effort GDT Devils @ Senators - 7PM - TSN5/RDS2 - Devils wear Varada

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Yes .... We should get a written list of conditions that must be met in order to buy hockey tickets

Hot water
Highway upgrades
Upgraded in arena entertainment
Lower beer prices
Shorter concession lines

The list goes on...
It wouldn't matter according to some. Ottawa citizens are bad fans and won't go to games unless they are free - (historic) yearly attendance stats be damned.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He was referring to Dorion, nobody cares about the daughters.

And since you made it clear that you knew Melnyk was not the problem, then why are you putting so much weight into the debates you had with maybe 10 different people? They do not represent the whole fanbase, nor do they reflect the reason why attendance has been low the past 5 years.

The fans will come back, Senators fans who used to spend money to attend games did not just vanish, this team was a top tier team in attendance for many years in the league and it coincided with having a good and exciting team on the ice.
Because they jumped on the excuse bandwagon lol. And the excuse is that people just don’t want to go. Lazy. Cheap. Yes ten different people. Only ten people said that they would return to games when melnyk was gone.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It wouldn't matter according to some. Ottawa citizens are bad fans and won't go to games unless they are free - (historic) yearly attendance stats be damned.
Well pretty easy to prove those some wrong.

No one is expecting sellouts game in game out.

I think the perfect situation is needed for fans to attend our games. One of which is they have to be near 99% certain they will witness a win. Very insecure Fanbase.

Sorry but still at ending games even when we are bad is simply part of the f***ing deal lol. That’s being a fan.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

And since you made it clear that you knew Melnyk was not the problem, then why are you putting so much weight into the debates you had with maybe 10 different people? They do not represent the whole fanbase, nor do they reflect the reason why attendance has been low the past 5 years.

The fans will come back, Senators fans who used to spend money to attend games did not just vanish, this team was a top tier team in attendance for many years in the league and it coincided with having a good and exciting team on the ice.
Dorion is still being controlled by Melnyk from beyond the grave

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If my reason is an owner. And that owner is no longer there. Then…..

Again. Sell outs , no. The gulf between 7000 people and a sellout. Is huge. But there should be more than what we’ve been getting.

Yes. Dude. I KNOW the real reason isn’t melnyk lol. I’ve been saying that this enttiiiirrewww time for the past several years. It was here that I was told you wait and see when melnyk is gone. Lol. No. Melnyk was just the new fad excuse that the same people who weren’t going to go anyway used. (Those same people still won’t be there next year).
If you used to go to 5 games a year then decided to no longer go because of the owner, and he passes with 8 home games left in a lost season, how many of those games are you obligated to go to in your mind?

The whole idea that it would be instant was always a lame troll attempt with no rational thought behind it, even for those who did refuse to go because of Melnyk, the reasonable expectation should never have been that they instantly pick up tickets to all remaining games.

Nobody ever said it will instantly change when he passed away or sold, that was the strawman set up by those like yourself, congratulations on being right about your strawman argument.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
It was never about Melnyk. The obsession with Melnyk is a HFSens thing. The reason the building is half full is because Ottawa only supports winning teams. As soon as the rebuild began, attendance plummeted.

Reactions: The Expert

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If you used to go to 5 games a year then decided to no longer go because of the owner, and he passes with 8 home games left in a lost season, how many of those games are you obligated to go to in your mind?

The whole idea that it would be instant was always a lame troll attempt with no rational thought behind it, even for those who did refuse to go because of Melnyk, the reasonable expectation should never have been that they instantly pick up tickets to all remaining games.

Nobody ever said it will instantly change when he passed away or sold, that was the strawman set up by those like yourself, congratulations on being right about your strawman argument.
OBLIGATED? Zero. It’s a free country

I think I would try to go to 3. 3 of the 8. Which isn’t that pricey since I’ve been Taken part of the noble boycott for several years now.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

I think the perfect situation is needed for fans to attend our games. One of which is they have to be near 99% certain they will witness a win. Very insecure Fanbase.

Sorry but still at ending games even when we are bad is simply part of the f***ing deal lol. That’s being a fan.
So what happened between 1997 and 2017 then when yearly attendance was over 16,000/game?

Were (16,000 +) fans assured they would witness a win then? I guess so according to the "bad fan" mantra/narrative.

The Senators have always had a strong walk-up market for buying tickets. So, winning sure helps, not only in Ottawa, but in many/most markets. Look at Panthers as an example. But, its pretty counter intuitive to think that they were 16,000 (or nearly 16,000) fans just walking up and purchasing tickets over a 42 game season for ten years and thinking that almost all of the fans were certain that Ottawa would win all of those games.

BTW - not sure what you said in your 1st & last sentences.

Last edited:

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

And being a fan is not some sort of civic duty. Life happens and there is no shame in people being careful with how they spend their money.

Sports is an entertainment, and I do not blame fans of a team that do not want to spend their hard earned money on a product that is going to leave them bored, frustrated and depressed after attending a game.

Sure some fans are capable of handling that type of fluctuation during their fandom years, but the last thing anyone should care about in life, especially with everything that is going on right now, is whether or not they get labeled a "lazy, cheap" fan.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
So what happened between 1997 and 2017 then when yearly attendance was over 16,000/game?

Were (16,000 +) fans assured they would witness a win then? I guess so according to the "bad fan" mantra/narrative.

The team just needs to win, and the fans will come. If the building is in Kanata or downtown.

If they start of next season with a little winning streak I think we see a spike in attendance.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Back to last night's game, where I was sitting in Sec 113:

Good news - our best guys continue to be our best guys, which is what you want to see. The growth of Stutzle over the second half of the season has been an absolute treat to watch - he has taken his game to another level. He reminds me an awful lot of Pavel Bure in the way he can take over a game when he gets on the ice. He doesn't quite have Bure's raw speed (pretty close, though), but I think he's a better playmaker than Bure was. Still, the electrifying skill part is very reminiscent of Bure in his prime.

Brady also continues to take his game to another level. His skills with the puck have improved, and he is now the King of Board Battles in this league. I believe he'll push 40 goals next year.

Red flag - good God, our defensive zone coverage is awful. I've heard DJ's excuses - it's late in the year, games tend to get sloppy, dog ate my homework, etc., but I'm not buying it. This has been an issue around here for too long, and I wonder if DJ has the ability to fix it. Sutter sure as heck fixed it in Calgary, and that team is now in first place. This needs to get addressed and be a point of emphasis on this team. It's not just the defensemen either - Batherson blew the zone early on one NJ goal like a kid in Peewee A looking for his hat trick goal. No bueno.

Thursday will be tougher - Florida will want the win to get the President's Trophy, getting them home ice throughout and getting I believe a $500,000 bonus to be split amongst the team. That will give us a better sense of where we are a team playing against the big boys as opposed to teams like NJ and the Habs.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Back to last night's game, where I was sitting in Sec 113:

Good news - our best guys continue to be our best guys, which is what you want to see. The growth of Stutzle over the second half of the season has been an absolute treat to watch - he has taken his game to another level. He reminds me an awful lot of Pavel Bure in the way he can take over a game when he gets on the ice. He doesn't quite have Bure's raw speed (pretty close, though), but I think he's a better playmaker than Bure was. Still, the electrifying skill part is very reminiscent of Bure in his prime.

Brady also continues to take his game to another level. His skills with the puck have improved, and he is now the King of Board Battles in this league. I believe he'll push 40 goals next year.

Red flag - good God, our defensive zone coverage is awful. I've heard DJ's excuses - it's late in the year, games tend to get sloppy, dog ate my homework, etc., but I'm not buying it. This has been an issue around here for too long, and I wonder if DJ has the ability to fix it. Sutter sure as heck fixed it in Calgary, and that team is now in first place. This needs to get addressed and be a point of emphasis on this team. It's not just the defensemen either - Batherson blew the zone early on one NJ goal like a kid in Peewee A looking for his hat trick goal. No bueno.

Thursday will be tougher - Florida will want the win to get the President's Trophy, getting them home ice throughout and getting I believe a $500,000 bonus to be split amongst the team. That will give us a better sense of where we are a team playing against the big boys as opposed to teams like NJ and the Habs.
Agree totally. Defensive zone play is bad. Forwards are watching the puck instead of taking their man. It seems that the only coaching tactic being used is forwards must get back to the D zone . Coverage is an after-thought.

Reactions: Emrasie

DDT

Aug 18, 2008
The arena only sits 20000 lol. I would think that yes. Some of the people that said they wanted melnyk out before supporting the team, would attend games when he no longer owns the team. Did I expect too much? I mean obviously I always do. Sell outs? I don’t think consistent sellouts are a possibility in this city. But more than last night? f*** lol I hope so.
Since you've stated earlier in the thread that you've taken part in the boycott in the past, aren't you complaining about other people doing the exact same thing you're doing?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yes .... We should get a written list of conditions that must be met in order to buy hockey tickets

Hot water
Highway upgrades
Upgraded in arena entertainment
Lower beer prices
Shorter concession lines

The list goes on...
And I want them to bring back the Tim Horton's small cup of coffee, I don't need a gallon of coffee to drink while I'm there, I'm not playing. Add that to the list please .... thank you .... thank you very much.

P.S. - winning will bring back fans, winning, making the playoffs & challenging the top teams to unseat them. Once they start winning the flags on cars start to show up, people start wearing their apparel again & the brand becomes visible again around town & ticket sales pick up. It's likely to take a couple winning seasons, but it starts with making the playoffs. They have a good young team & this coming season is the time to start making the big push forward but they also need to have some luck on their side next yr.

Last edited:

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

OH… the GM is the reason to boycott….

Then when PD is sidelined, it will be the coach sucks…. And then we will go back to bad players… bad trades, and cycle continues.

It is the insecurity of those who can’t get over the loss of EK, KT, and MS. I think that is more of the bigger issue, IMHO.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
And being a fan is not some sort of civic duty. Life happens and there is no shame in people being careful with how they spend their money.

Sports is an entertainment, and I do not blame fans of a team that do not want to spend their hard earned money on a product that is going to leave them bored, frustrated and depressed after attending a game.

Sure some fans are capable of handling that type of fluctuation during their fandom years, but the last thing anyone should care about in life, especially with everything that is going on right now, is whether or not they get labeled a "lazy, cheap" fan.
I think supporting a local sports team is a civic duty. I treat as such. Because if you don’t. They leave. It’s not like it’s some massive 80 thousand seater we need to fill lol. It’s 20 thousand. Don’t even expect it to be filled.

I didn’t label them lazy cheap fans. I labeled them lazy cheap people. Notoriously waspy Ottawa.

Never said they should care about being labeled as such.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

The Senators have always had a strong walk-up market for buying tickets. So, winning sure helps, not only in Ottawa, but in many/most markets. Look at Panthers as an example. But, its pretty counter intuitive to think that they were 16,000 (or nearly 16,000) fans just walking up and purchasing tickets over a 42 game season for ten years and thinking that almost all of the fans were certain that Ottawa would win all of those games.

BTW - not sure what you said in your 1st & last sentences.
Yeah I’m those days. No reason why it shouldn’t have been sold out every night. These days. Well I would expect the 16000 number. In the 2000s we were essentially the best show on ice.

ksens

Mar 8, 2006
It was never about Melnyk. The obsession with Melnyk is a HFSens thing. The reason the building is half full is because Ottawa only supports winning teams. As soon as the rebuild began, attendance plummeted.
OH… the GM is the reason to boycott….

Then when PD is sidelined, it will be the coach sucks…. And then we will go back to bad players… bad trades, and cycle continues.

It is the insecurity of those who can’t get over the loss of EK, KT, and MS. I think that is more of the bigger issue, IMHO.

Doesn't the "Ottawa has bad fans" crowd ever get tired of repeating the same easily disproven garbage?

The Athletic quoted a study the Sens themselves commissioned that literally said that the brand was destroyed and that was impacting the team:

In a summary of findings written in August 2019 and labeled “The Bitter Truth,” Level5 concluded:
  • The Senators as a brand, a business, and a hockey team are facing an existential crisis that threatens the club
  • The business will not improve if it continues to operate in a way it is operating today; substantial change is required in order to accomplish a substantial turnaround
  • Currently, the Senators have no brand; the Eugene Melnyk brand is overwhelming the Senators brand and it is negatively impacting the organization
People in the Ottawa community wanted nothing to do with the Sens because of Melnyk and this negatively impacted attendance. This is provably not an "HFSens thing".

Of course losing affects attendance too, but people pretending that this is only about losing are a) being disingenuous and b) of course forget to note that other losing teams usually also have bad attendance and this is hardly an Ottawa phenomenon - Buffalo, Arizona and San Jose are at the bottom of the league attendance in 2021/22. I guess they all have bad fans too.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Yeah I’m those days. No reason why it shouldn’t have been sold out every night. These days. Well I would expect the 16000 number. In the 2000s we were essentially the best show on ice.
Well, if you looked at the info, you'll see the attendance was close to sell out. Your 1st sentence was unintelligible (a trend).

16,000 now a few weeks after the owner passing away, etc. (the other relevant factors) - very unrealistic expectation.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Doesn't the "Ottawa has bad fans" crowd ever get tired of repeating the same easily disproven garbage?

The Athletic quoted a study the Sens themselves commissioned that literally said that the brand was destroyed and that was impacting the team:

In a summary of findings written in August 2019 and labeled “The Bitter Truth,” Level5 concluded:
  • The Senators as a brand, a business, and a hockey team are facing an existential crisis that threatens the club
  • The business will not improve if it continues to operate in a way it is operating today; substantial change is required in order to accomplish a substantial turnaround
  • Currently, the Senators have no brand; the Eugene Melnyk brand is overwhelming the Senators brand and it is negatively impacting the organization
People in the Ottawa community wanted nothing to do with the Sens because of Melnyk and this negatively impacted attendance. This is provably not an "HFSens thing".

Of course losing affects attendance too, but people pretending that this is only about losing are a) being disingenuous and b) of course forget to note that other losing teams usually also have bad attendance and this is hardly an Ottawa phenomenon - Buffalo, Arizona and San Jose are at the bottom of the league attendance in 2021/22. I guess they all have bad fans too.
Be bigger than that. You control the destiny.

I :heart: your username

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Ohhhh so now the team has to be out of the Melnyk family completely oh ok ok I did not know.
uh? No one knows whats happening with the ownership group. The same group is owning the team.

I would say wait till the dust settles before jumping to conclusions?

Dreger confirmed that the daughters won't decide till May. I suspect the NHL will push them to be a minority owner at best

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad