Low Effort GDT Devils @ Senators - 7PM - TSN5/RDS2 - Devils wear Varada

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Stutzle passing Raymond in points gives me all sorts of petty happiness. I was actually a huge Raymond stan in that draft but all the subsequent praise at Tim's expense by a select few on Twitter has made me pretty petty rn. Tim looks amazing, such a huge development this year.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
of course forget to note that other losing teams usually also have bad attendance and this is hardly an Ottawa phenomenon - Buffalo, Arizona and San Jose are at the bottom of the league attendance in 2021/22. I guess they all have bad fans too.
with the exception of one season, Toronto missed the playoffs for ten years. Just sayin' Ottawa fans need to support this young up and coming team. Angry fans want max spending on payroll but refuse to fill the building.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
with the exception of one season, Toronto missed the playoffs for ten years. Just sayin' Ottawa fans need to support this young up and coming team. Angry fans want max spending on payroll but refuse to fill the building.
They did support the team.

There wasn't a cap back then for a good chunk of that 10 year, 16,000+ fans yearly stretch, but we certainly were not one of the bigger spending teams.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Why don't you go and check out Chicago's attendance under Bill Wurtz? Here's a clue, they were filling their rink at worse rate (percenatge wise) than we are now. Original 6 franchise, 3x our population, and no pandemic. This is not unique to Ottawa, as much as you and others wish it to be true.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Found this article after a few hours of searching. It’s hard getting through all the TSN articles and ‘stories’ about Auston’s 53rd empty net goal.

Actually pretty surprised they didn't lead with it being Nolan Foote's first career multi-goal game

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
We get steamrolled on a nightly basis.
I don't agree with that, I think for the most part the Sens have been pretty competitive in every game they played this year, you just prefer to focus on the negative, the kids just need to learn to play with the lead, this year the Sens have wins against Carolina, Florida, Tampa Bay, Colorado ect... with all the injuries we had and covid I think it was a pretty good season for the Sens, a lot too look forward too.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
What? Detroit’s trajectory is amazing with the help of their front office and drafting. And a competent GM that isn’t handicapped by their owner is the forefront of their so far successful rebuild.

They’ve added blue chip prospects and prospects that are already making an impact in the league without going full scorched earth at every position.

Seider, Raymond, Edvinsson, Cossa, and a bunch of b-level prospects such as Wallinder, Sebrango, Berggren, etc without having to give away players such as Vrana, Larkin, Bertuzzi.

They are on par with our rebuild, which correct me if I’m wrong started later than ours (even if I am wrong, point still remains), without having the benefit of getting trade capital from players like Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, Dzingel, Hoffman (lol) and more.
Detroit is doing well so far, but we have better players at every single position to compare.

The guys they kept in Larkin Varna and Bert are a step down from Batherson, Norris, and Brady.

Then of course we have Chabot over Seider, Stu over Raymond, Sanderson over Ed, and on and on down the list.

If their trajectory is amazing, our is premium amazing.

They have enjoyed 5 years of futility and draft lottery failure the same as us.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
The GTA also has 5x the population of Ottawa-Gatineau
Most of the people in the GTA don't give a flying f*** about the Leafs. I'd say there's probably more Raptors fans in the GTA now than Leafs fans, especially Markham, Mississauga, Scarborough, Brampton, etc. Look at the demographic splits in those areas and look at the makeup of the average fan in Jurassic Park, I don't think those guys really care about hockey. Toronto is obviously a much larger city than Ottawa but the idea that 5x the population is available to the Leafs is very misleading.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Most of the people in the GTA don't give a flying f*** about the Leafs. I'd say there's probably more Raptors fans in the GTA now than Leafs fans, especially Markham, Mississauga, Scarborough, Brampton, etc. Look at the demographic splits in those areas and look at the makeup of the average fan in Jurassic Park, I don't think those guys really care about hockey. Toronto is obviously a much larger city than Ottawa but the idea that 5x the population is available to the Leafs is very misleading.

Its as misleading as comparing our market to theirs, or us against any large market though.

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
What is your actual proposed solution? For the team to throw at the end of the year?

Surely that Batherson overtime winner had to be worth the single point it "cost" us

It has nothing to do with the wins. It has everything to do with fans being lulled into a sense of accomplishment at the end of the season, and thus not putting team management and ownership's feet to the fire demanding better results.

At the end of every season there is this undeserved glow of progress like something great is just about to happen. Then we go through the same exact off season, and the same exact regular season.

As has been said many times on this board, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results. In those terms, this franchise and many fans on this board are certifiable insane.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Doesn't the "Ottawa has bad fans" crowd ever get tired of repeating the same easily disproven garbage?

The Athletic quoted a study the Sens themselves commissioned that literally said that the brand was destroyed and that was impacting the team:

In a summary of findings written in August 2019 and labeled “The Bitter Truth,” Level5 concluded:
  • The Senators as a brand, a business, and a hockey team are facing an existential crisis that threatens the club
  • The business will not improve if it continues to operate in a way it is operating today; substantial change is required in order to accomplish a substantial turnaround
  • Currently, the Senators have no brand; the Eugene Melnyk brand is overwhelming the Senators brand and it is negatively impacting the organization
People in the Ottawa community wanted nothing to do with the Sens because of Melnyk and this negatively impacted attendance. This is provably not an "HFSens thing".

Of course losing affects attendance too, but people pretending that this is only about losing are a) being disingenuous and b) of course forget to note that other losing teams usually also have bad attendance and this is hardly an Ottawa phenomenon - Buffalo, Arizona and San Jose are at the bottom of the league attendance in 2021/22. I guess they all have bad fans too.
Well Melnyk isn't here anymore so next seasons attendance will be telling

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Well Melnyk isn't here anymore so next seasons attendance will be telling

I’m sure new ownership will have some type of refreshing investment strategy but I doubt it means losing $30 million like Viola. We lost $20 the last two years so the wiggle room may not be as “strong” as many would like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad