Low Effort GDT Devils @ Senators - 7PM - TSN5/RDS2 - Devils wear Varada

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Jesus the takes on attendance around here... it's not a switch that you can flip on just because Melnyk is gone, it will take time to build back a STH base as that's mostly made up of corporate sales. Smaller partial season packages largely get bought earlier in the season or offseason,

If you are questioning why there wasn't a rush of individual sales to pack the arena you are either not thinking this through or just bad faith attempts to troll, either way give your head a shake.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This is such a weird comment and a pretty weak shot at the fans considering Melnyk just left us and we're well out of the playoffs, playing a very meaningless tuesday night game against a team no one likes. Whatever change Melnyk's passing will have one way or another will come into effect next season.
Okay so fans will come if
A) melnyk is not the owner ( & period of mourning has to have passed?)
B) game is on a night that is not Tuesday
C) have to be in the playoff hunt.

Okay. I think I got it.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yes .... We should get a written list of conditions that must be met in order to buy hockey tickets

Hot water
Highway upgrades
Upgraded in arena entertainment
Lower beer prices
Shorter concession lines

The list goes on...
Some new ones have even listed here already

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
No, that is not it. Eugene Melnyk not being the anymore is definitely a step in the right direction but not the solution, and whoever told you that previously was just making excuses.

What this fanbase needs is hope moving forward, hope with a new, stable owner willing to spend to the cap, hope that the new ownership will finally pay for a proper management team, whether it means a new more experienced G M with pedigree or simply imposing a proper hierarchy of hockey people with Presidents, Vice presidents, G.M's, and other departments like scouting, analytics, media relations, etc.

Most fans stopped going to games not because Melnyk was the owner but because the team was being run like a trash organization with improper spending.
Most fans do not know any of that shit lol. The problem is ottawa and it’s people as I’ve said all along. Melnyk just another excuse. As more excuses will Now come down the pipeline.

I don’t remember the signs saying “melnyk out and also proper hierarchy of hockey people”.

Or “this isn’t about melnyk this is about the team being run poorly and the resources are being allocated poorly” please.

Reactions: The Expert

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
100% accurate. Its amazing how many people on this board have the memories of goldfish. What is happening right now is the same thing that has happened for three straight years. We win some meaningless games at the end of the year and everyone come together for a big circle jock.

Next season rolls around and the team can't put three wins together to save their lives. We get steamrolled on a nightly basis. But wait, at soon as those late season meaningless games roll around those sweet sweet wins come roaring back!

Maybe I will just start watching games post trade deadline and pretend we are world beaters from now on.

Speaking of goldfish, this has not happened 3 straight years. The whole, "THEY DO THIS EVERY YEAR" is straight up bs. They did it last year, and finished last or 2nd last for the 3 seasons before that.

This is normal behaviour. Some teams plummet, others excel. Just like the start of the season when a team defies expectations and wins a bunch, but comes back to earth later. Only difference is it happens at different times

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Okay so fans will come if
A) melnyk is not the owner ( & period of mourning has to have passed?)
B) game is on a night that is not Tuesday
C) have to be in the playoff hunt.

Okay. I think I got it.
Attendance is not a light switch, you can't flip it on and off... give your head a shake.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Attendance is not a light switch, you can't flip it on and off... give your head a shake.
I mean in this case? People cited a very specific reason. Like extreeeeemmeeeellllyyyyyyy specific. That reason came to pass.

But I think now they’re back to the location, traffic, and price of beer. So yes those no one can change in the immediate present

Reactions: GCK

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I mean in this case? People cited a very specific reason. Like extreeeeemmeeeellllyyyyyyy specific. That reason came to pass.

But I think now they’re back to the location, traffic, and price of beer. So yes those no one can change in the immediate present

The community needs to back the team up. Imagine Jimmy Stu talking to his Großvater in Viersen saynig "the arena stands are more than half full on Tuesday nights. I love Ottawa ! I want to play my career here"

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

In every case. It's just such an intellectually dishonest arguement to make that if Melnyk was truly the reason for attendance, we'd be back to selling out the moment he passed. Life doesn't work that way and you should know better.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The community needs to back the team up. Imagine Jimmy Stu talking to his Großvater in Viersen saynig "the arena stands are more than half full on Tuesday nights. I love Ottawa ! I want to play my career here"
Specific conditions must be met for people to even consider going to a game. I mean it’s been said a million times for a million different things but it’s a Govvy town. It’s how we are. Toe attendance into paid sick leave or pension or something lol. Or free slice bread sandwich lunches or something lol.

That joke was always old lol

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Not that much of a crap shoot when you're talking between picking top-3 or 7-10. Chances of drafting a real stud go down real fast past the 6 or 7 top guys. Love watching the kids score but people are right when they say winning down the stretch when already long out of the playoff race is bad for the future
Sure there is a difference between top 3 and where we pick but we were never going to finish that low.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
In every case. It's just such an intellectually dishonest arguement to make that if Melnyk was truly the reason for attendance, we'd be back to selling out the moment he passed. Life doesn't work that way and you should know better.
The arena only sits 20000 lol. I would think that yes. Some of the people that said they wanted melnyk out before supporting the team, would attend games when he no longer owns the team. Did I expect too much? I mean obviously I always do. Sell outs? I don’t think consistent sellouts are a possibility in this city. But more than last night? f*** lol I hope so.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I heard the exact same speech for the past 3 years and we still suck and are bottom 10, so yeah.

In this league building through the draft is huge, especially for a team like us
We have built through the draft. Now it’s time to win.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The arena only sits 20000 lol. I would think that yes. Some of the people that said they wanted melnyk out before supporting the team, would attend games when he no longer owns the team. Did I expect too much? I mean obviously I always do. Sell outs? I don’t think consistent sellouts are a possibility in this city. But more than last night? f*** lol I hope so.
repeat after me, it's not a light switch. It's downright foolish to expect a massive turnaround, for one, you are massively overstating how many people suggested Melnyk specifically was the reason for not attending, turn off twitter and HFboards once and a while, they aren't accurate reflections of society. For the vast majority that's not going to be the driving factor, at best it will have been his actions/how he ran the team. Those actions can't be flipped overnight.

Be patient, it will take some time to build back the season ticket base, which is what will lead to swings in attendance. this offseason's season ticket drive will be important,

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Look at Detroit they have an owner with money there, they have a gm with "pedigree" there, they have everything to be successful there, but they're not. so why is that??? Make the playoffs is extremely hard, you need a lot of luck with injuries and so on and so on, me I'm just happy that Ottawa has a franchise, thanks to Melnyk. It's just a game and I don't stress over it, I just enjoy watching hockey period, and also let Dorion do his job also, I think he's dona a pretty good job. Fans need to realize they are not the coach or the gm, the only power fans have is not spend money on the team period and not go to the games. other then that what they think the coach/gm should do or play doesn't matter one bit! When I was younger I was way more emotional about sports now that I'm older I've learned not to get emotionally invested, I just enjoy watching it win or lose.
Probably because they are starting from the bottom, and the Atlantic is stacked? They are in the same position as us, a mediocre team that is making strides towards being a playoff team in an extremely tight division.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
repeat after me, it's not a light switch. It's downright foolish to expect a massive turnaround, for one, you are massively overstating how many people suggested Melnyk specifically was the reason for not attending, turn off twitter and HFboards once and a while, they aren't accurate reflections of society. For the vast majority that's not going to be the driving factor, at best it will have been his actions/how he ran the team. Those actions can't be flipped overnight.

Be patient, it will take some time to build back the season ticket base, which is what will lead to swings in attendance. this offseason's season ticket drive will be important,
If my reason is an owner. And that owner is no longer there. Then…..

Again. Sell outs , no. The gulf between 7000 people and a sellout. Is huge. But there should be more than what we’ve been getting.

Yes. Dude. I KNOW the real reason isn’t melnyk lol. I’ve been saying that this enttiiiirrewww time for the past several years. It was here that I was told you wait and see when melnyk is gone. Lol. No. Melnyk was just the new fad excuse that the same people who weren’t going to go anyway used. (Those same people still won’t be there next year).

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Omg stop talking ownership it's a dead horse. We need our downtown arena, and I can't wait till we get one. Next year will be the year to watch for attendance.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
If my reason is an owner. And that owner is no longer there. Then…..

Again. Sell outs , no. The gulf between 7000 people and a sellout. Is huge. But there should be more than what we’ve been getting.

Yes. Dude. I KNOW the real reason isn’t melnyk lol. I’ve been saying that this enttiiiirrewww time for the past several years. It was here that I was told you wait and see when melnyk is gone. Lol. No. Melnyk was just the new fad excuse that the same people who weren’t going to go anyway used. (Those same people still won’t be there next year).
EM still owns the team and his puppet is still in charge, so really little has changed. This season is a right off anyway. I wouldn't expect much.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Omg stop talking ownership it's a dead horse. We need our downtown arena, and I can't wait till we get one. Next year will be the year to watch for attendance.
Should be a dead horse but apparently it’s still a problem

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
His puppets you mean. Anna and Olivia? Or…

He was referring to Dorion, nobody cares about the daughters.

And since you made it clear that you knew Melnyk was not the problem, then why are you putting so much weight into the debates you had with maybe 10 different people? They do not represent the whole fanbase, nor do they reflect the reason why attendance has been low the past 5 years.

The fans will come back, Senators fans who used to spend money to attend games did not just vanish, this team was a top tier team in attendance for many years in the league and it coincided with having a good and exciting team on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00