Low Effort GDT Devils @ Senators - 7PM - TSN5/RDS2 - Devils wear Varada

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We don’t have a new owner yet

Way too early for fans to come back. It doesn’t even seem like melnyk daughter seem to know what they want to do according to insiders
Ohhhh so now the team has to be out of the Melnyk family completely oh ok ok I did not know.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
Not that much of a crap shoot when you're talking between picking top-3 or 7-10. Chances of drafting a real stud go down real fast past the 6 or 7 top guys. Love watching the kids score but people are right when they say winning down the stretch when already long out of the playoff race is bad for the future.
I don't believe that only losers think like that, winning is the name of the game baby. I'm proud of the boys they always play to win, that's the attitude you need to build a winner! Not that losing bs so we have a better pick in the draft.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I don't believe that only losers think like that, winning is the name of the game baby. I'm proud of the boys they always play to win, that's the attitude you need to build a winner! Not that losing bs so we have a better pick in the draft.

I heard the exact same speech for the past 3 years and we still suck and are bottom 10, so yeah.

In this league building through the draft is huge, especially for a team like us

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
What's the season ticket numbers this year? I remember it was rumored to be 4k? A sellout is what? 18,500? You need 14500 fans to purchase tickets every homegame to sell out.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
What are these wins doing atm exactly?

Bigger picture man. We said the same thing last year and ended up with a Boucher instead of a better player. I wanna see this team succeed but im tired of seeing them go 4-15 to start the year then covid and injuries making better decisions than this coach making them earn meaningless wins at the end

I wanna see playoffs again someday. I like the guys getting to nice stats but these wins are worth nothing.

Batherson goal was nice and Stutzle is so damn good
You don't end up with "a Boucher" because you won a few late-season games. You get Boucher by going wildly off the board on some kind of hunch instead of making a safer pick.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
You don't end up with "a Boucher" because you won a few late-season games. You get Boucher by going wildly off the board on some kind of hunch instead of making a safer pick.

Wouldnt reach like that if he did finish lower. Two years in a row DJ starts making winning decisions when we’re completely out of it. Dont know how some argue that stuff.

Again this year, kept playing pylons like J Brown, wanted to start Tierney in the top 6, put Tkachuk before Batherson in the SO, could go on and on and on.

Frustrating, anyway, done arguing over that, its been that way for 2-3 years and we dont improve. Some players do improve, but as a team we still suck.

Dorion could package some of our picks and move up who knows

Reactions: Emrasie

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
That building was maaaaaayyybe half full. Crazy I thought once melnyk was gone legions upon legions of fans were going to flood the CTC

This is such a weird comment and a pretty weak shot at the fans considering Melnyk just left us and we're well out of the playoffs, playing a very meaningless tuesday night game against a team no one likes. Whatever change Melnyk's passing will have one way or another will come into effect next season.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
That building was maaaaaayyybe half full. Crazy I thought once melnyk was gone legions upon legions of fans were going to flood the CTC
Nobody said that. But now there's at least a chance to right the ship. As for this game, what would you expect with most of a bad season gone, an unappealing opponent in town, nothing changed in the fan experience and COVID still hanging around?

Reactions: DrEasy and Duncstar

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Wouldnt reach like that if he did finish lower. Two years in a row DJ starts making winning decisions when we’re completely out of it. Dont know how some argue that stuff.

Again this year, kept playing pylons like J Brown, wanted to start Tierney in the top 6, put Tkachuk before Batherson in the SO, could go on and on and on.

Frustrating, anyway, done arguing over that, its been that way for 2-3 years and we dont improve. Some players do improve, but as a team we still suck.

Dorion could package some of our picks and move up who knows
I can't tell whether you wanted to win or lose.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Ohhhh so now the team has to be out of the Melnyk family completely oh ok ok I did not know.

No, that is not it. Eugene Melnyk not being the anymore is definitely a step in the right direction but not the solution, and whoever told you that previously was just making excuses.

What this fanbase needs is hope moving forward, hope with a new, stable owner willing to spend to the cap, hope that the new ownership will finally pay for a proper management team, whether it means a new more experienced G M with pedigree or simply imposing a proper hierarchy of hockey people with Presidents, Vice presidents, G.M's, and other departments like scouting, analytics, media relations, etc.

Most fans stopped going to games not because Melnyk was the owner but because the team was being run like a trash organization with improper spending.

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
No, that is not it. Eugene Melnyk not being the anymore is definitely a step in the right direction but not the solution, and whoever told you that previously was just making excuses.

What this fanbase needs is hope moving forward, hope with a new, stable owner willing to spend to the cap, hope that the new ownership will finally pay for a proper management team, whether it means a new more experienced G M with pedigree or simply imposing a proper hierarchy of hockey people with Presidents, Vice presidents, G.M's, and other departments like scouting, analytics, media relations, etc.

Most fans stopped going to games not because Melnyk was the owner but because the team was being run like a trash organization with improper spending.
Look at Detroit they have an owner with money there, they have a gm with "pedigree" there, they have everything to be successful there, but they're not. so why is that??? Make the playoffs is extremely hard, you need a lot of luck with injuries and so on and so on, me I'm just happy that Ottawa has a franchise, thanks to Melnyk. It's just a game and I don't stress over it, I just enjoy watching hockey period, and also let Dorion do his job, I think he's dona a pretty good job. Fans need to realize they are not the coach or the gm, the only power fans have is not spend money on the team period and not go to the games. other then that what they think the coach/gm should do or play doesn't matter one bit! When I was younger I was way more emotional about sports now that I'm older I've learned not to get emotionally invested, I just enjoy watching it win or lose.

Last edited:

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
I heard the exact same speech for the past 3 years and we still suck and are bottom 10, so yeah.

In this league building through the draft is huge, especially for a team like us

100% accurate. Its amazing how many people on this board have the memories of goldfish. What is happening right now is the same thing that has happened for three straight years. We win some meaningless games at the end of the year and everyone come together for a big circle jock.

Next season rolls around and the team can't put three wins together to save their lives. We get steamrolled on a nightly basis. But wait, at soon as those late season meaningless games roll around those sweet sweet wins come roaring back!

Maybe I will just start watching games post trade deadline and pretend we are world beaters from now on.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Look at Detroit they have an owner with money there, they have a gm with "pedigree" there, they have everything to be successful there, but they're not. so why is that??? Make the playoffs is extremely hard, you need a lot of luck with injuries and so on and so on, me I'm just happy that Ottawa has a franchise, thanks to Melnyk. It's just a game and I don't stress over it, I just enjoy watching hockey period, and also let Dorion do his job also, I think he's dona a pretty good job. Fans need to realize they are not the coach or the gm, the only power fans have is not spend money on the team period and not go to the games. other then that what they think the coach/gm should do or play doesn't matter one bit! When I was younger I was way more emotional about sports now that I'm older I've learned not to get emotionally invested, I just enjoy watching it win or lose.

What? Detroit’s trajectory is amazing with the help of their front office and drafting. And a competent GM that isn’t handicapped by their owner is the forefront of their so far successful rebuild.

They’ve added blue chip prospects and prospects that are already making an impact in the league without going full scorched earth at every position.

Seider, Raymond, Edvinsson, Cossa, and a bunch of b-level prospects such as Wallinder, Sebrango, Berggren, etc without having to give away players such as Vrana, Larkin, Bertuzzi.

They are on par with our rebuild, which correct me if I’m wrong started later than ours (even if I am wrong, point still remains), without having the benefit of getting trade capital from players like Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, Dzingel, Hoffman (lol) and more.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
100% accurate. Its amazing how many people on this board have the memories of goldfish. What is happening right now is the same thing that has happened for three straight years. We win some meaningless games at the end of the year and everyone come together for a big circle jock.

Next season rolls around and the team can't put three wins together to save their lives. We get steamrolled on a nightly basis. But wait, at soon as those late season meaningless games roll around those sweet sweet wins come roaring back!

Maybe I will just start watching games post trade deadline and pretend we are world beaters from now on.

What is your actual proposed solution? For the team to throw at the end of the year?

Surely that Batherson overtime winner had to be worth the single point it "cost" us

Reactions: Senovision

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
What is your actual proposed solution? For the team to throw at the end of the year?

Surely that Batherson overtime winner had to be worth the single point it "cost" us
That was amazing! That goal felt like winning the first round of the playoffs.

Kids are happy. This team would have been in or close to the mix if the bad luck wasn’t there in the first half.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yes .... We should get a written list of conditions that must be met in order to buy hockey tickets

Hot water
Highway upgrades
Upgraded in arena entertainment
Lower beer prices
Shorter concession lines

The list goes on...

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Yes .... We should get a written list of conditions that must be met in order to buy hockey tickets

Hot water
Highway upgrades
Upgraded in arena entertainment
Lower beer prices
Shorter concession lines

The list goes on...
Free parking
Refund if team loses

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad