Post-Game Talk: Devils run ends, lose in 5 to Carolina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Can do both. Only have 6 of 9 top 9 spots locked down. Hughes, Hischier, Meier, Bratt, Mercer, Palat.

3 more spots between Holtz, Sharangovich(no), Tatar, Haula, and any UFA or trade additions. Would personally like to keep Tatar if it’s like 1 or 2 years at 3M.

I am assuming Haula will be re-signed, and I'm expecting Boqvist to stick on the third line. The first assumption might be more solid than the second.

In any case, the cap might force us to go with the cheaper option in Holtz. It depends on what Bratt and Meier's contracts end up being, and whether we make any other trades that reduce salary.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Holtz, Foote and Clarke deserve their shots to make the roster. You also have Sharangovich and Boqvist who were scratches for much of the playoffs.

You can probably afford to walk away from Tatar (as much as it pains me) and not be hurt too badly by it.
If the price is decent we can also afford to bring him back which would be benenficial and still give those guys a shot at making the roster.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I am assuming Haula will be re-signed, and I'm expecting Boqvist to stick on the third line. The first assumption might be more solid than the second.

In any case, the cap might force us to go with the cheaper option in Holtz. It depends on what Bratt and Meier's contracts end up being, and whether we make any other trades that reduce salary.
I don’t think the cap will force us to. We’re fine cap wise especially with goaltending pretty well set and defense for the most part as well. Wouldn’t count on Boqvist being on the third line especially with injuries.

We should have the money to resign Tatar at 3M if he’s willing and I think he’s someone we should really try to keep around. I think he’s more important than Haula.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Holtz, Foote and Clarke deserve their shots to make the roster. You also have Sharangovich and Boqvist who were scratches for much of the playoffs.

You can probably afford to walk away from Tatar (as much as it pains me) and not be hurt too badly by it.
Would be great if Foote and Clarke can be an upgrade over Bastian and McLeod.

Edit: Bastian and Wood*, not McLeod.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clam Jensen

TF1970

May 9, 2021
Gonna suck to lose Severson, but in all honesty, I am ready for Graves to move along. Too slow on a backend that already has a couple other guys lacking footspeed. He was a soldier this season & had some great moments throughout, but all things considered, time to move on from him.

captainscott12

Jul 13, 2022
Dougie just finished 4th in Norris voting and you have people wanting to get rid of him ??

WTH is wrong with you.
Because he can’t defend. Yes he had a great year but watching him in the playoffs he was a liability. Or at least a guy you may not want to have 9 million per year tied up. You have to actually watch the players play the game and not rely on who got votes for Norris. Yes he is a good piece but he is not a good defenseman defensively. Thankfully the offensive output this year helped you overlook it. Answer this. If one guy between Marino and hamilton has to go who would you pick. ? His contract is gonna be an anchor.

captainscott12

Jul 13, 2022

Yeah and we need some right shots up front to boot. Here is my take :

Gone :

Bratt. Can’t afford him and Meir I don’t think
Tatar Ufa

Graves ufa

Severson Ufa. This one will hurt. For all the guff he takes he is a good player on the whole.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Because he can’t defend. Yes he had a great year but watching him in the playoffs he was a liability. Or at least a guy you may not want to have 9 million per year tied up. You have to actually watch the players play the game and not rely on who got votes for Norris. Yes he is a good piece but he is not a good defenseman defensively. Thankfully the offensive output this year helped you overlook it. Answer this. If one guy between Marino and hamilton has to go who would you pick. ? His contract is gonna be an anchor.
He was solid defensively all season and wasn’t that bad in the playoffs. I watched and he was well worth his contract all season and one of our lesser issues in the playoffs although him and Siegenthaler were pissing me off with their continuous defaulting to just throwing the puck along the boards or something.

Bratt. Can’t afford him and Meir I don’t think
Come on. I thought it was just delusional people from other fanbases saying this out of annoyance. You can literally look at our cap situation for 5 minutes and figure it out. We can more than afford to resign them both. Like the cap space is fully there.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Really get New York (football) Giants vibe from this season.

Season was a lot of fun and it restored some respect to the franchise.

But there is a huge gap still between the Devils and legitimately competing for a Stanley Cup.

Maybe like the Maple Leafs three years ago.
I dunno about huge gap but there’s a gap. I think if they win last night it goes to 7.

Reactions: Devs3cups

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Holtz for sure stays and gets a long look, but the latter two I'd dangle to Tampa for Ross Colton, who'd be an automatic fan favorite as a spark plug local kid.

Colton and McLeod on a line together in the playoffs would be electric.

If you don’t like Bratt’s defense and think he’s soft, you haven’t seen anything yet with Connor.
I didn't say anything about Bratt's toughness or two-way play?

I'm just spit-balling. I love Bratt, but I don't think anything should be off the table.

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
Really get New York (football) Giants vibe from this season.

Season was a lot of fun and it restored some respect to the franchise.

But there is a huge gap still between the Devils and legitimately competing for a Stanley Cup.

Maybe like the Maple Leafs three years ago.

This Devils team is simply much better than last years Giants team - while I was happy to see an end to the horrible loses and I have great faith in this new regime they were still outscored this season and were lucky to have made the playoffs. The Devils were an excellent team this year and were much closer to a true contender than the Giants were last year.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
Just to rehash what others have said, I was very impressed with McLeod and Haula, I hope both remain with the Devils longer term.

Bratt was poor. Did not like his game at all, and at this point if I have to choose between resigning Bratt or Meier I choose Meier who carried play even though he was snakebit. Loved the snarl he played with and he was driving Rags fans absolutely apeshit.

Severson was very good, and absolutely thrived with the lesser role but will cost too much to keep unless he wants to take a big discount. His occasional lack of effort and/or concentration on D was not nearly as noticeable.

Sick of Graves. Sick of wood though he did play a bit better at times later in the po's.

Already looking forward to next year, LGD!

Reactions: StevensRocks

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
If any of you Devils fans feel like consoling yourselves by getting a small meaningless win, may I suggest a few more of you find your way to the polls section and vote for your logo as the best in the league?

poll

I know most teams have a lot of posters that only really read their home board. Maybe some of you have missed the poll series, but could now tip the scales? The Devils' logo is currently behind by one vote to the Coyotes logo, which I feel is one of the all-time worst.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Man, there are some posters that when I see their name, I just know to keep scrolling past.

The block feature makes them go away completely lol

If any of you Devils fans feel like consoling yourselves by getting a small meaningless win, may I suggest a few more of you find your way to the polls section and vote for your logo as the best in the league?

poll

I know most teams have a lot of posters that only really read their home board. Maybe some of you have missed the poll series, but could now tip the scales? The Devils' logo is currently behind by one vote to the Coyotes logo, which I feel is one of the all-time worst.

Voted, ridiculous that it's even this close, that coyotes logo is absolutely awful

Reactions: banks

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

poll

We’re in the finals! Everyone go vote

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Still good luck with that. They were about as good a fourth line as you could find. I don’t anticipate foote having much success at the NHL level

I think Foote can indeed be better than what Bastian and Wood. He is a more cerebral player and can score from distance.

Clarke is still an unknown at the NHL level so we will have to see there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad