GDT: Devils Revolution will NOT be televised PART 2! Devils Vs Islanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Well think of it this way...

It's all to get more money from the advertisements. Would you rather yellow boards or advertisements on jerseys? I'll take the yellow boards.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They're going to have yellow boards all year? I thought it was just a preseason thing. Yikes, I hope it isn't as much of an eyesore as the bright orange Mercedes-Benz ad at the CAA.

What happens with all the sponsors that buy up space on the boards if their ads can't be seen at the arena?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
@SherryDarlingNJ: Among #njdevils Fs tonight, liked Cammalleri and (even before the shootout) Zajac. Josefson didn't help his cause much.

Everyone seems to think Merrill was excellent tonight too.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They're going to have yellow boards all year? I thought it was just a preseason thing. Yikes, I hope it isn't as much of an eyesore as the bright orange Mercedes-Benz ad at the CAA.

What happens with all the sponsors that buy up space on the boards if their ads can't be seen at the arena?

They are only paying to be seen in person apparently.

This was only a test though. Might not be implemented this year if it looks bad.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well think of it this way...

It's all to get more money from the advertisements. Would you rather yellow boards or advertisements on jerseys? I'll take the yellow boards.

If you ask people that are soccer fans they've probably been desensitized to ads on jerseys. You associate the Fly Emirates jerseys with Arsenal more than their actual logo, for example.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
If you ask people that are soccer fans they've probably been desensitized to ads on jerseys. You associate the Fly Emirates jerseys with Arsenal more than their actual logo, for example.

Yep.... You get used to it very quickly

Instead of argue about whether or not ads should be on the shirt.... They argue about who the sponsor is.... Manchester United fans argue that they dont like the sponsor on the shirt...... (Chevrolet) .... I see nothing wrong with ads on jerseys. Also kind of helps that in our case we get like 200 million dollars per year from our shirt alone.... (120 million from Adidas per year / 80 million per year from Chevy) Im sure that would make fans happier with the ads, when it helps the team bring top end talent/ make arena improvements etc

That certainly helps... I will take Ads on a shirt 10 times out of 10 over yellow piss on the boards

Last edited:

kiwidevil

I think the yellow boards may have hurt Josefsons' concentration levels. He needs a real chance to prove himself, not this crap.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
For what's it's worth Pete apparently wasn't to pleased with this game.

Outside of finally winning a shootout. He only liked Cory, Merrill, and Camm scoring. He also was happy Clowe didn't hurt himself.

Other then that not much.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 1m1 minute ago

Schneider said he talked with goalie coach Chris Terreri that shootouts were "one area of my game, especially, that I could improve upon."

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 41s42 seconds ago

Schneider on shootouts: "I made a few adjustments and I think it paid off tonight."

He got that right. Definitely needed to work/still needs to work on that.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Oh, here's what I took in tonight, if anyone's interested:

(Before the odd 3rd period lines)
Ruutu-Josefson-Brunner
I don't care who the center is, I'm still loving how Ruutu & Brunner work together. Brunner might have been the best forward on the ice tonight. Noticed him every shift, making things happen.
Not his fault that the rest of the forwards were pretty lack luster.

Camm-Zajac-Jagr
Jagr definitely has the foot off the pedal a bit and Camm is still getting used to how Zajac & Jagr work. I'm still withholding judgement but Zajac has been looking really good, really confident regardless. Hope it can carry over.

Clowe-Henrique-Ryder
I all of a sudden remember why I never liked Henrique & Ryder together.
Clowe was alright, maybe a bit slow at first, but it wasn't him. I just don't think you'll find too many instances where the other 2 click.

Tootoo-Carter-Janssen
Janssen can just **** right off. That's all I have to say about that.

As for the defensemen, each and every single one of them was playing above their head in some capacity and I kind of liked what I saw.

Larsson was just alright. I don't think he was bad, but I think this was a game for him to outshine the rest and he didn't.

Gelinas was good. His defense is still iffy at best, but I think it has shown marked signs of improvement. Which is good. Maybe it's because he knows both he and Severson want the puck, and that makes him more patient with his decision making. But he wasn't a jumpy overexcited puppy on the puck too much tonight.

Severson showed flashes of greatness - but he runs into some of the same problems that Gelinas does. He plays the puck, completely forgetting that there are 5 other guys on the ice that want to break up that play. A bunch of errant plays that kept the team hemmed in.

Helgeson.. I can see why we'll never be able to rely on him for offense. He can fire the puck, but it's always right into the middle of traffic where nothing can be made of it. He's also still defending out of desperation -- but a 3rd pairing dman isn't a ceiling too far out of his reach.

Merrill was great tonight. Nothing flashy, but he was wearing #7 and was kind of playing like a former #7.

Harrold, you all will be happy to know, was a bit of a trainwreck. He played the 2nd least of all the dmen and deservedly so. He was the vet out there but looked like a 1st game rookie. And I'm not even that big of a hater.

Also, I think Schneider got a few more tips than just on the shootout. He looked a bit more aggressive, coming out to challenge more than I remember.

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
Since Ruutu & Brunner seem to have something going, and Tootoo + Ruutu would be hilarious, I would like to see a 4th line of Tootoo-Ruutu-Brunner. The Bruutoo.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ

Ruutu-Josefson-Brunner
I don't care who the center is, I'm still loving how Ruutu & Brunner work together. Brunner might have been the best forward on the ice tonight. Noticed him every shift, making things happen.

Camm-Zajac-Jagr
Jagr definitely has the foot off the pedal a bit and Camm is still getting used to how Zajac & Jagr work. I'm still withholding judgement but Zajac has been looking really good, really confident regardless. Hope it can carry over.

Clowe-Henrique-Ryder
Clowe was alright, maybe a bit slow at first, but it wasn't him. I just don't think you'll find too many instances where the other 2 click.

Tootoo-Carter-Janssen

As for the defensemen, each and every single one of them was playing above their head in some capacity and I kind of liked what I saw.

Larsson was just alright. I don't think he was bad, but I think this was a game for him to outshine the rest and he didn't.

Gelinas was good. His defense is still iffy at best, but I think it has shown marked signs of improvement. Which is good. Maybe it's because he knows both he and Severson want the puck, and that makes him more patient with his decision making. But he wasn't a jumpy overexcited puppy on the puck too much tonight.

Severson showed flashes of greatness - but he runs into some of the same problems that Gelinas does. He plays the puck, completely forgetting that there are 5 other guys on the ice that want to break up that play. A bunch of errant plays that kept the team hemmed in.

Helgeson.. I can see why we'll never be able to rely on him for offense. He can fire the puck, but it's always right into the middle of traffic where nothing can be made of it. He's also still defending out of desperation -- but a 3rd pairing dman isn't a ceiling too far out of his reach.

Merrill was great tonight. Nothing flashy, but he was wearing #7 and was kind of playing like a former #7.

Harrold, you all will be happy to know, was a bit of a trainwreck. He played the 2nd least of all the dmen and deservedly so. He was the vet out there but looked like a 1st game rookie. And I'm not even that big of a hater.

Also, I think Schneider got a few more tips than just on the shootout. He looked a bit more aggressive, coming out to challenge more than I remember.

Were we watching the same game? Severson was awful. Taking penalty after penalty, passing to opposing players and other nonsense. How he got the 2nd star was mind-boggling.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

Ruutu-Josefson-Brunner

Camm-Zajac-Jagr

Clowe-Henrique-Ryder

Tootoo-Carter-Janssen

-------->Merrill was great tonight. Nothing flashy, but he was wearing #7 and was kind of playing like a former #7.

--------> are you refering to that footnote in devils history paul charmin?

:rant:

Last edited:

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Were we watching the same game? Severson was awful. Taking penalty after penalty, passing to opposing players and other nonsense. How he got the 2nd star was mind-boggling.

"flashes"

and if you actually continued reading.. "problems"

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey

:dunno:

--------> are you refering to that footnote in devils history paul charmin?

:rant:

A more recently departed #7 than that :laugh:

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
If there is one thing I've learned about hockey fans it's that they fear change, flip out at nearly any change, but then get used to it and stop complaining.. Even 2 years ago when they announced jersey numbers on the front of helmets it started this huge debate

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Severson was actually 3rd star (Strome 2nd, Cammy 1st). Ithought he played well although I saw him running around a little bit at times and he did take2 penalties. Overall, the young D did pretty well considering we went through a 30 minutes stretch (entire 2nd and 1/2 of 3rd) where we had a total of only 3 shots. Despite the lack of possession by the forward lines, we did not cave. Corey was solid but didn't have to stand on his head.

Jagr is definitely costing in the preseason and that's why I'm not passing any judgement on the 1st line - although Cammy looks pretty good and can fly out there. I think Clowe was understandably cautious out there and I sort of noticed he didn't position himself too close to the boards where he could get drilled. Still think Ryder/Henrique would be better with Boucher. Brunner was skating well and making things happen. There were a bunch of scouts there last night (Chi, VAN, Nsh, Minn, Phi, Pitt) so maybe showcasing some players too...

TG posted the yellow boards was a one-time trial last night and aren't planned for the next games.

Sik02gt

Mar 4, 2013
If there is one thing I've learned about hockey fans it's that they fear change, flip out at nearly any change, but then get used to it and stop complaining.. Even 2 years ago when they announced jersey numbers on the front of helmets it started this huge debate

i think its more so the forum boards.. anything for people to ***** about is what it is people like complaining about anything they can

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad