GDT: Devils Revolution will NOT be televised PART 2! Devils Vs Islanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
C'mon guys. Severson is playing in his, what, 5th professional game.

Chill out!

I think my biggest takeaway from this preseason is that you can see exactly why Severson is going to be great, but you can also see why he should definitely start in Albany. I don't worry that he's being held down too long. That's what I was trying to get at, at least.

If there is one thing I've learned about hockey fans it's that they fear change, flip out at nearly any change, but then get used to it and stop complaining.. Even 2 years ago when they announced jersey numbers on the front of helmets it started this huge debate
i think its more so the forum boards.. anything for people to ***** about is what it is people like complaining about anything they can

I don't usually like to go out of my way to complain about the in game experience. Goal song, construction, food, whatever --- but this was particularly grating to me.
It just looked like piss stains and I couldn't stop feeling like I was supposed to be smelling pee. During the play, it was easy to forget about... but then play stops and bleck it's there again.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
If Severson really has the greatest potential of all our young D (from what I've heard people say before) and looks somewhat green right now...I really really hope they keep him in the A for the entire year.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
If Severson is already on Gelinas' level that is great news. Gelinas spent two years in Albany plus last year shuffling back and forth.

They're different players, of course. Severson looks like he's playing hungry, more than I've seen out of most of the other young d as they've come up and battled spots.

There's not A LOT you can get out of preseason, but I just see them running into the same problems, that are fixable of course.
One of the most jarring differences between the AHL and the NHL is not only how much space, but how much time a guy has to make a play.
Even in the playoffs this season, against the Ice Caps who made it to the Final, players had nearly all day to make decisions with the puck.

So for Gelinas and Severson, guys who like to make plays and shoot the puck, they run into some hot water under pressure because they run out of room real quick.
Gelinas is slowly but surely working on that, but Severson doesn't too far behind.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
If Severson really has the greatest potential of all our young D (from what I've heard people say before) and looks somewhat green right now...I really really hope they keep him in the A for the entire year.

I got the impression that Merrill and Santini had the highest potential. Agreed on him spending the whole season in the AHL though.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I got the impression that Merrill and Santini had the highest potential. Agreed on him spending the whole season in the AHL though.

Not sure why anybody thinks Santini has such great potential. He's still a very one-dimensional player.

Severson, Merrill and Larrson all have very high potential though.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Zajack's the only one who lifts the puck, what? I can't say I get a lot of confidence for like one for four or one for five.

I agree, but instead I've taken confidence in Schneider's performance in the shootout and by his post-game comments it's not a coincidence he posted a shutout in it as he's been improving on that side of the game.

As for Severson I don't think there's any reason to believe he won't be the AHL this season. My only concern is how high Lou and Pete have him in the call-up rankings. I'd prefer if he stayed the whole season down there instead of bouncing up and down due to inevitable injuries.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think Helgeson can possibly replace Salvador right now. Liked what I saw from him.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Not sure why anybody thinks Santini has such great potential. He's still a very one-dimensional player.

Severson, Merrill and Larrson all have very high potential though.

Have you seen him play? If you have you probably would understand the hype we're giving him. The guy was one of the best defensive defensemen as a freshman in the NCAA and one of the best defensemen on the USA World Juniors and was only in his first year of eligibility.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Have you seen him play? If you have you probably would understand the hype we're giving him. The guy was one of the best defensive defensemen as a freshman in the NCAA and one of the best defensemen on the USA World Juniors and was only in his first year of eligibility.

I have seen him play. Like you said, he's a defensive defenseman. The others all have the potential to be three-zone contributors. All really elite D's are three-zone contributors. Santini will likely be a pure shut-down guy.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
What doctors cleared Clowe to play last night?

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
I have seen him play. Like you said, he's a defensive defenseman. The others all have the potential to be three-zone contributors. All really elite D's are three-zone contributors. Santini will likely be a pure shut-down guy.

Kind of wrong.. He isnt your typical defensive Defenseman... His passing, specifically his breakout passing and skating are much better then your expected Defensive Dman.... Hes a stud, one of the best Dman in the NCAA as a Freshman and will only continue to get better

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Kind of wrong.. He isnt your typical defensive Defenseman... His passing, specifically his breakout passing and skating are much better then your expected Defensive Dman.... Hes a stud, one of the best Dman in the NCAA as a Freshman and will only continue to get better

I don't know what I like more about Santini: his Defensive Positioning, his skating, his physicality, or his breakout passes.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
With a defenseman from the younger generation, it's hard to be completely without offense.

I don't think of Vlasic or Hjalmarsson as purely defensive guys, even if the numbers say that's what they are.

As we unfortunately know firsthand, good defense includes the ability to start a clean breakout. These days, few young guys will make it to the NHL playing the "up and off the glass"-game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad