Speculation: Devils Rentals

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Don't see any reason why Sami Vatanen, Wayne Simmonds and Andy Greene (if waives NTC) would not be dealt by Devils for futures prior to deadline. The Hall trade and NJ's place in the standings indicates that this is not a win now or even a win tomorrow situation. Win at some point down the most optimistic scenario.

What can NJ expect for these players? Any offers from HF?

I'm thinking Vatanen could possibly draw a very late 1 - possibly a Conditional 2 that becomes 1 if team advances in playoffs. Thinking Zuccarello deal last year a good base, but I think conditions maybe even less to get that 1.

Simmonds and Greene I think 2's are reasonable in both cases being will likely be bottom of Round 2 based on potential acquiring teams.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Vatanen for a 1st and B prospect
Simmonds full retention. I'm thinking basically the same type of trade that happened for him last year.
3rd or 4th and a lower line roster player
Greene if he waves a 3rd and a lower prospect.

I could all off.

Reactions: devils29

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
A lot of Devils fans want to re-sign these players, in particular Vatanen. I think Vatanen will be traded though, Shero won't give him 4+ years I don't think and he deserves at least that. A 1st and B prospect sounds fair to me.

The other two might not be moved just due to the fact that the team needs players for the rest of the year and the offers won't be worth it.

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Vatanen 1st +conditional 3rd that becomes a 2nd if team wins a round or resigns him (zuc deal), Simmonds 3rd + 5th with retention, Greene 3rd + C prospect (Lovejoy deal)

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Vatanen 1st +conditional 3rd that becomes a 2nd if team wins a round or resigns him (zuc deal), Simmonds 3rd + 5th with retention, Greene 3rd + C prospect (Lovejoy deal)

Happy with all these... would prefer a straight 2 over a 3+5 for Simmonds tho

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
A lot of Devils fans want to re-sign these players, in particular Vatanen. I think Vatanen will be traded though, Shero won't give him 4+ years I don't think and he deserves at least that. A 1st and B prospect sounds fair to me.

The other two might not be moved just due to the fact that the team needs players for the rest of the year and the offers won't be worth it.

Goodness, why on earth?

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
They need to sign someone on defense. Simmonds is your standard fan favorite vet despite not producing.

They can sign someone on defense. Nothing stopping them. I would rather they collect assets and then sign someone to fill the role in July, then re-sign players who are already proven to be not working and get no future capital for it.

Brian Boyle was also a fan favorite. This team needs future assets desperately. Again, you can try to sign Simmonds, Vatanen back in July if you really love them, but need the assets. Greene as captain I think we all agree has run its course and its past the point where that needs to end.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
What's the feeling about Palmieri? Would New Jersey be willing to move him this season or does the team want to keep him around? Perhaps Palmieri even prefers to stay put.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Taylor Hall essentially just returned a 1st and a B prospect. Why do Devils fans think Vatanen is going to return nearly as much as Hall did?

Few reasons: 1) Shero butchered the Hall deal and his value was actually greater than what was received 2) Teams pay for dmen at the deadline 3) Lower salary number on Vatanen 4) Vatanen is actually having a very good year

All that said I agree and would be happy with a straight 1st rounder alone with no prospect added.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Few reasons: 1) Shero butchered the Hall deal and his value was actually greater than what was received.

I’m so tired of reading this.

I have no idea why one would assume that a 50 game rental, who might play less then 50 games if he gets re-injured, would bring back a massive return.

We got a solid prospect, a 1st from a team that isn’t certain to make the playoffs like Colorado, Boston, etc and a conditional pick.

I would like to know what you expected from a guy who scored 6 goals in 30 games, with 2 of them being empty net goals?

Last edited:

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
I’m so tired of reading.

I have no idea why one would assume that a 50 game rental, who might play less then 50 games if he gets re-injured, would bring back a massive return.

We got a solid prospect, a 1st from a team that isn’t certain to make the playoffs like Colorado, Boston, etc and a conditional pick.

I would like to know what you expected from a guy who scored 6 goals in 30 games, with 2 of them being empty net goals?

Guy asked why some devils fans expect a package for vatanen similar to what they got for Hall. I speculated on several, including the idea that if you think Hall was undersold, you may believe Vatanen at proper value can come close.

I think the whole Hall thing was butchered by the Devils and Ray Shero, but not being in the conversations I can't say what the value was or wasnt.

Reactions: Smitty426

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Vatanen may be worth a 1st in a generic sense, but which team is going to give that up this year? Looking at the Top 10 teams as of this post, Washington, St. Louis, Boston, New York, Carolina, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia have no real need for him, at least at that price level. Arizona just dropped up to 2 1sts on Hall. Vegas probably should sit this one out considering what it gave up for Tatar, Pacioretty and Stone over the past 2 years. That leaves Colorado, whose fans are not too happy with Johnson atm. However, I also see them clamoring for a center. Who knows what Colorado's FO is prioritizing and if they even want to buy at the price level?

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Vatanen is easily our best defender and trading him would leave a massive hole on our back end. Personally, I would like to extend Vatanen... that is unless the Devils receive an offer they can't refuse

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Vatanen is easily our best defender and trading him would leave a massive hole on our back end. Personally, I would like to extend Vatanen... that is unless the Devils receive an offer they can't refuse
Precisely. Don't know if he's interested but they sure as hell have to try keeping him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad