Devils refuse to pull goalie to stop Ovechkin from milestone

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
When he scored his second i thought to myslef watch the devils not pull their goalie at the end. And thats what happened. Not going to get into the consipiracy theories on why they did what they did. All im going to say is this is the first game i have seen all my life where a team was down 1-2 goals at the end of the third and not pull their goalie.

Is this you first month watching hockey? Welcome to the sport, it's fun

Reactions: Bleedred and Owenay

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I wonder if Stamkos, Kunitz or Callahan have some obscure milestone they're about to hit. Cooper could just keep them out for the last 10 minutes of every game they have a lead in and Hynes' autism will kick in and have the Devils go into a 5 man turtle to stop it from happening.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
I wonder if Stamkos, Kunitz or Callahan have some obscure milestone they're about to hit. Cooper could just keep them out for the last 10 minutes of every game they have a lead in and Hynes' autism will kick in and have the Devils go into a 5 man turtle to stop it from happening.
You aren’t trying hard enough.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Why would they? Years ago when I think it was favre took a sack on purpose to that Giants lineman to get him the sack record it was gross and so would this be. I don't think ovie would even want it that way.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Why would they? Years ago when I think it was favre took a sack on purpose to that Giants lineman to get him the sack record it was gross and so would this be. I don't think ovie would even want it that way.

This would be more like Favre taking a knee every down while his team is behind to avoid giving up the sack record.

They shouldn't give him the goal but playing shutdown while behind is not a standard move at that point of the game.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
This would be more like Favre taking a knee every down while his team is behind to avoid giving up the sack record.

They shouldn't give him the goal but playing shutdown while behind is not a standard move at that point of the game.

I can't believe this is still going on :laugh:

They couldn't even get the puck to be able to pull their goalie!

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Yeah this is professional sports, no one should be laying down to give anyone a goal. This isn't Sunday beer league. If Ovie wants 50 goals, then he should have to score 50 goals, not 49.

Reactions: GeeoffBrown

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Yeah this is professional sports, no one should be laying down to give anyone a goal. This isn't Sunday beer league. If Ovie wants 50 goals, then he should have to score 50 goals, not 49.

Yeah, what a bum to only get two goals in the game. ;)

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Give me an example of teams not bothering to even try to come back in the game? when was the last game that you it happen?
Teams don’t pull their goalie when the other team has the puck. Do you think in the entire history of hockey that the leading team has never held possession for the final 1:00-2:00 of a game?

Reactions: SlimCharles

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Thread title of this type isn't changed by the moderators and more importantly, thread of this type isn't already closed for being started on an inaccurate premise.

But I get it. It's like 4am on the east coast.. right?

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Ovechkin played 21 minutes in a meaningless game because he was chasing 50 goals. How ******* stupid is that ?

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Give me an example of teams not bothering to even try to come back in the game? when was the last game that you it happen?

It happens a bunch with a two goal lead... i want to say one of tge games the Pens had within the last couple weeks when Malkin was still challenging for the Art ross, the Pens had possession too much near the end to allow the other team to pull their goalie... it happens a bunch so people don't really pay attention unless its tied to some individual feat like this one here

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
The Devils pulling the goalie so he could achieve 50 goals, would mean it wasn’t much of an achievement. Daft OP.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Ovechkin played 21 minutes in a meaningless game because he was chasing 50 goals. How ******* stupid is that ?
Quite. He should be focusing on preparing for the playoffs not individual achievement. However his coach should never have allowed him to play so much regardless of what he wanted to do. It’s gives a bad message.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad