Devils refuse to pull goalie to stop Ovechkin from milestone

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I'm all for competitive spirit and not giving things easy to the opponent. But instead of allowing their players to practice a possible playoff scenario (down 2 goals) they keep the goalie in net and concede the game so Ovechkin doesn't reach his milestone.

There is no saying that Ovi would even score, but what's with the Devils coach taking this approach?

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I'm all for competitive spirit and not giving things easy to the opponent. But instead of allowing their players to practice a possible playoff scenario (down 2 goals) they keep the goalie in net and concede the game so Ovechkin doesn't reach his milestone.

There is no saying that Ovi would even score, but what's with the Devils coach taking this approach?

Hear me out, because I know it's going to sound weird. Ovechkin could have just scored on the goaltender to reach his milestone.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
So they were supposed to pull their goalie to help a player on a other team? That isn’t going to happen. I don’t get the need to have to find something to complain about.

devilos

Jun 18, 2012
Arlington, VA
The Devils didn't even have the sustained offensive zone time at game's end to try and even pull Schneider. There was no approach or trying to deny Ovie anything. Holy conspiracies around here in the last 24 hours...

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017

Oilers should have also let each Sedin score a goal in there last game. How dare they play competitively.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
So they were supposed to pull their goalie to help a player on a other team? That isn’t going to happen. I don’t get the need to have to find something to complain about.
Not to help, but because that's how teams normally come back from 2 goals to force overtime.

Their focus wasn't on forcing overtime.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The Caps seemed to maintain O zone possession for the last what, minute and a half?

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Not to help, but because that's how teams normally come back from 2 goals to force overtime.

Their focus wasn't on forcing overtime.
Did they have control of the puck in the offensive zone to make it happen? Not really. You’re complaining to complain.

Reactions: Jacob

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Hear me out, because I know it's going to sound weird. Ovechkin could have just scored on the goaltender to reach his milestone.
Yes. And they should make it as hard as possible for him not to. However their focus should have been on forcing OT, not conceding the game to preserve their Ego so that Ovi wouldn't tally 50 on their watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad