Devils refuse to pull goalie to stop Ovechkin from milestone

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
i know it seems like im coming down on ovie and i am. would love to see the guys name on the cup. it might be a good thing for him to stop worrying about his stats tho.

Connor Hellebuyck started a meaningless game last night to set the all time wins record by an American goaltender.

Him getting hurt ends the Jets season, haven't seen a post about that. He ended up playing 67 games this season.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
Connor Hellebuyck started a meaningless game last night to set the all time wins record by an American goaltender. Him getting hurt ends the Jets season, haven't seen a post about that. He ended up playing 67 games this season.

if there was a post id prolly comment on it. if this post doesnt exist i dont comment.....

it is what it is.

if you are asking me i prolly wouldve rested him and gave the backup a game before shit gets real. but im not a coach. just a guy.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
if there was a post id prolly comment on it. if this post doesnt exist i dont comment either.....

it is what it is.

if you are asking me i prolly wouldve rested him and gave the backup a game before **** gets real. but im not a coach. just a guy.

Just noting it but yeah, 67 games is a lot for a goalie.

As to Ovechkin, he's earned the right, he almost pulled it off, gave the fans a hell of a show as well. Caps are off until Thursday, I'm glad he played.

Reactions: AveryQuietMan

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I'm all for competitive spirit and not giving things easy to the opponent. But instead of allowing their players to practice a possible playoff scenario (down 2 goals) they keep the goalie in net and concede the game so Ovechkin doesn't reach his milestone.

There is no saying that Ovi would even score, but what's with the Devils coach taking this approach?
Devils didnt have sustained pressure in the offensive zone in the final minutes that you need to pull the goalie.

Ovechkin had a breakaway in the 3rd and missed the net. If you are looking for someone to blame, its Ovi himself.

Reactions: Jacob

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
if Ted Leonsis is half teh owner Eugene Melnyk is, he'll hire a team of private investigators and the true intention will be revealed for all
If Leonsis was half the owner Melnyk is, he would hire very cheap investigators that wouldn’t get the job done.

Reactions: ck26

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
When he scored his second i thought to myslef watch the devils not pull their goalie at the end. And thats what happened. Not going to get into the consipiracy theories on why they did what they did. All im going to say is this is the first game i have seen all my life where a team was down 1-2 goals at the end of the third and not pull their goalie.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i'm also mad at kris russell for blocking henrik sedin's shot in overtime last night. how dare you not just let guys fire pucks into open nets for lols.

Reactions: Its a Trap

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Congratulations on not having watched a large number of hockey games, I guess.
Odd thing to congradulate someone for. But thanks anyway buddy. So please educate me. When was the last time you saw a team not make an effort to come back when being down by 1-2 goals with time expring in the third?

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
That's why Caps haven't won jackshit. Ovechkin is selfish, and only cares about his milestone.

That was so easy to do.

Reactions: Bleedred

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Maybe Ovi shouldn’t have missed the net on that breakaway

Screw him and his personal milestones, maybe worry about actually getting past the second round

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
The Devils didn't even have the sustained offensive zone time at game's end to try and even pull Schneider. There was no approach or trying to deny Ovie anything. Holy conspiracies around here in the last 24 hours...
This isnt true. I watched the game and was waiting for them to pull the goalie and was thinking why dont they pull their goalie in many situations 2 goals down inside 3 minutes.
Im not a Devils or Caps fan but it was obvious that Devils either didnt care about trying to tie the game or they didnt wanna pull their goalie for Ovi to get his 50th which is fine by me. But there were plenty of times between 3-1 minutes left of the game where every other team pulls their goalie and Devils didnt.
They didnt have a good chance to pull their goalie the last minute of the game but they had plenty of chances to do it during the 2 previous minutes

Last edited:
Reactions: illpucks

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
zzzzz how is this still a thread? Caps fans still salty that the Devils didn't pull the goalie while the Caps drove play for the last 5 minutes of the game?

Not surprising, judging by the Devils board that was basically their Stanley cup this year lol

What are you even trying to say here?

Glass houses. You've had a real talented team for a while here and have accomplished exactly jack shit in the post season.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
If im the coach im 100% trying not to let Ovechkin get a hat trick for 30 against us, players rested or not.

He achieved that goal so good for him, Go Devils

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad