Confirmed with Link: Devils re-sign Mattias Tedenby

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I don't see the sense in trying to compare Tedenby and Josefson. They're two different players who are used in two completely different situations.

If we're going to go down that path, though..

Both played well enough with their chances in 10-11 and were given their opportunities in 11-12.
Tedenby seemingly regressed while Josefson showed some flashes in between injury stints.

Josefson was given the longer leash to start this season because of what he showed in 11-12.

Regardless, neither impressed and were sent back to Albany.
Both have a lot to prove for 13-14.

They're both young, Swedish and play for the Devils.. but there's really no either/or to be had between the two of them because they are used in different situations and come with different skill sets.

ZadorovNJD*

With Tedenby penciled in for next year we really don't need to draft a forward in the first round like all the "experts" are saying.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
With Tedenby penciled in for next year we really don't need to draft a forward in the first round like all the "experts" are saying.
We're not planning on drafting a forward with the intent of bringing them into the NHL right away. We need blue-chip forward talent in the prospect pool badly.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Didn't Stephen Gionta get one? He played what 12 regular season games and 20 or so playoff games which is quite a bit less than Tedenby. There was no guarantee he'd be on the team. There was a reason he was an AHL player until he was 29.
I think he was riding on the playoff run, but like I said. I could very well be wrong It's a good point though.
The fact that he (in your mind) has averaged a breakaway per every 10 games while playing 8 minutes per game is (would be) pretty damn impressive. Under Deboer he's been bounced around from line to line, relegated to the 4th line at least half the games he played, and benched sporadically for little **** that Larsson and Josefson get a pass for. Can't grow as a player like that.
Yeah 8 minutes per game alright haha that's a good one. He's averaged 11:40 ice time in his career. To be fair It's probably around 10 minutes under Deboer. And yes he did get 10 breakaways. I'll be a little more conservative and say maybe 8 breakaways? Most of them came in 11-12, and he usually would not get a shot off. His opening night breakaway this year against the Isles was shades of that.

As far as Josefson, Tedenby barely has a better PPG average than Josefson over their NHL careers (I know Boulton, Janssen, Barch, Marty St Louis) but Josefson can play good defense to make up for it. Josefson doesn't get nearly as many offensive chances that he botches either. Josefson can also be very useful if he improves his faceoffs as well. It would help on the PK.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ

Draft picks aren't made for today. Our forward prospects are pedestrian at best.

And there's no guarantee Tedenby lasts the season on the big club.

Tedenboozled

Mar 4, 2011
I have no faith in Tedenby producing at all. His conversion rate on breakaways is a joke. Many of the times he hits the glass, and other times he's knocked off the puck by trying to do something fancy before he gets a shot off, and a defender catches up to him. That's my biggest problem with him, I wouldn't be concerned about his defense if he provided offense. He's had at least 10 NHL breakaways, and I don't think he's scored on one of them except for the penalty shot goal against the Caps in 10-11.

His breakaway on opening night when he hit the glass, he had a lot of breakaway opportunities in 11-12 too. I remember it clearly. The same **** would happen too. He gets a lot of breakaways, but fails to even get a shot off most of the time. It happened in Albany a couple times when I watched them during the lockout also.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Alright you got me there!

I was thinking of finding that video of all his 10-11 goals scored, but I didn't remember if he scored on a breakaway. Alright he's 2 for 10 or 11. Those may have been the only two times he's scored on a breakaway and one was a penalty shot.

For some reason I think he may have scored in a shootout once too.

njdss4

Mar 7, 2011
Anaheim

Yes, they do. The Devils have almost no good forward prospects. Just the fact that Tedenby is even still on the team proves that. This is Tedenby's last chance to prove himself, which he hasn't done yet at all. I'd love to see him finally achieve his potential this year, but odds are he'll stay the same and the team will need the next guy to come in and have a go. The #9 overall pick would be a good place to start.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm thinking that it might be a two way deal. It might very well be a one way deal, but I'm gonna wait until the official announcement to believe it. It just doesn't seem like a Lou type deal to give a guy who hasn't been able to become an NHL mainstay for 3 years a one way deal. Unless he feels very strongly that someone will pick him up on waivers.

I remember before Boulton was bought out last year discussing placing him in the minors for his last year, and a lot of people saying ''I doubt we pay Boulton $550k to play in the A'' I'm thinking the same thing here with Tedenby. If it was a two way he'd be making $105k or so in the AHL. And if it is indeed a one way deal, I think it's quite possible that he had a deal on the table in the KHL/SEL/overseas, and wanted one last crack at the NHL.

Is it possible they let Tedenby go overseas if he doesn't make the team out of camp? I dont know if you can still 'hide' money overseas but saw that as speculation elsewhere.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Is it possible they let Tedenby go overseas if he doesn't make the team out of camp? I dont know if you can still 'hide' money overseas but saw that as speculation elsewhere.

Like we did with Pikkawhateverhisnamewas?:laugh:

Or I think we did that with him?

Was the speculation you saw about Tedenby particularly?

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
It's not a question of "hiding" him. We could send him overseas just like we could send him to the AHL. His contract wouldn't count against our cap either way, as he's not making more than $900,000. But I think he would have to go through waivers whether we're sending him to Albany or Djurgårdens.

apice3*

Recent 1st round flops don't clear waivers. Didn't Boychuk get claimed like 4 times before teams finally realized he wasn't good enough?

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Even though he has signed a one way deal, I don't want to see Tedenby penciled in to any Devils lineups next season.

What I am afraid of is that Lou knows that at least one of Clarkson, Zubrus or heaven forbid Elias isn't coming back and that Tedenby is the replacement player in the lineup, when clearly Tedenby hasn't really earned the spot based on his play last season and development to date.

Even acknowledging that Sullivan, D'Agostini and Ponikarovsky won't be back, I think there are better options in free agency than to give Tedenby another chance.

Lord Ned Stark*

Josefson has done absolutely nothing to warrant him being definitively placed ahead of Tedenby. People just love reading his prospect bio and seeing 2-way or defensive forward, and begin spouting off how great his intangibles are. He looked awful all season and was given 5 times the opportunities Tedenby (4 games...2 of which were with Janssen on the 4th line playing 5 min) was with real linemates.

Josefson: Worst +/- on the team for forwards as a DEFENSIVE forward (but yea I forgot, that stat is useless).

GP: 22, 1G, 2A

Yet he is light years ahead of Tedenby. Looking forward to the response of stats aren't everything, plus Tedenby can't play defense and he's weak on the puck (first part is flat out wrong if you actually watch him play and 2nd is irrelevant since Josefson is as well).

actually josefson is miles ahead of tedenby defensively

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
actually josefson is miles ahead of tedenby defensively

Last year earlier in the season was the only time Josefson looked bad defensively. Or at least for an extended period of time. He's way better than Tedenby defensively. Like 5050505057878 times better. If you can't tell that Josefson is better than Tedenby defensively, I don't know what to tell you.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
I used to be the biggest Tedenby supporter. I wanted him to succeed so bad, like most Devils fans would. You can tell by my profile picture on the left, haha. But once he got sent down again this year after 4 games, I gave up on him. This is literally his last chance for him in NJ and I hope he realizes that. DeBoer needs to trust him more. Give him minutes and competent line-mates and hopefully he'll produce.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I hope he's given an opportunity on the top 2 scoring lines. His game is fit up there as opposed to lines 3 and 4.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I hope he's given an opportunity on the top 2 scoring lines. His game is fit up there as opposed to lines 3 and 4.

I don't. It likely won't take much to neutralize him when he's being matched up with top pairings/shutdown lines.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
he needs to play with skilled players or its a waste...

here's the thing though, at what point does "has to be with skilled players" become a detriment to the team. at best, you get what sykora was for us a couple years ago. at worst, you get an absolutely useless player. the fact is, a player that can only not be a detriment to the team when they're on the top line is not a good player. if he can put up 45 points playing all year with elias then great, but there are plenty of other players that can manage that and also not be absolutely awful whenever they're not with elias.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
here's the thing though, at what point does "has to be with skilled players" become a detriment to the team. at best, you get what sykora was for us a couple years ago. at worst, you get an absolutely useless player. the fact is, a player that can only not be a detriment to the team when they're on the top line is not a good player. if he can put up 45 points playing all year with elias then great, but there are plenty of other players that can manage that and also not be absolutely awful whenever they're not with elias.

Agreed. And what did this player even do to get a one way contract? He hasn't proven squat. We can blame it on the coach to a point, and we can bring up Boulton and Barch, and Marty St Louis all we want. Tedenby seems to be force fed onto the team the last two seasons. I really don't think this is gonna work out.

I forget if it was here, or on TG's blog but someone brought it up somewhere. That if we had any forwards in the system worth a damn that are actually ready (Not Matteau or Boucher) then he probably wouldn't even be here anymore.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I think if he is on one of the top 2 lines that is a bad sign for this team.

Nor do I think it is necessary for him.

He JJ and whomever need to find some chemistry and make it work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad