Confirmed with Link: Devils re-sign Keith Kinkaid 2 years (700k+750k)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
My point is that I think getting Cory was a mistake. We were on our way to a rebuild and we should have waited for more pieces before getting him. I don't think he's the key to our next cup and I don't think he'll have the success that you guys are predicting. We'll see who is right in the next few years.

Schneider isn't even 30. He'll still be one of the best goalies in the league by the time were contending again.

Congrats on hijacking this thread though

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I remember Edmonton being mad because they offered a better package than we did. We got him for a steal and people are still trying to complain about something...

The asking price for Edmonton/Calgary was their first (which was both higher than 9), another pick, and a prospect.

However, a good part of that was being in the same division as Vancouver.

Back to Kinkaid, people don't realize the effect having Schneider has on Kinkaid -- and similarly the effect Greene has on the young D. Kinkaid is not coming in with otherworldly expectations, he's come in and told to play his game. Had we not signed Schneider, we would likely be looking at a mediocre tandem of Kinkaid + UFA goalie. That could've easily destroyed Kinkaid's confidence and ruined him. Schneider is almost like Kinkaid's safety blanket, all he has to do is come in and play well.

JerryGigantic

Old Skool
Jul 17, 2006
New York
I feel like Devils fans are so privileged going from Brodeur to Schneider they don't realize how hard it is to acquire a top end goalie like we've had the luxury of.

Schneider trade is one you do because goalies like him don't come around often. You might be able to ride a Dubynk or Hammond to the playoffs one year, but the chances of them repeating that performance are extremely slim.

Look at some teams like Philadelphia or Washington and then come back and say you wouldn't want to have Schneider.

This, exactly.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Schneider was a top 5 goalie in the league this year on a bottom 5-6 team in the league

think about that for a second

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I wouldn't have been surprised if the Islanders and Garth were interested. Their prospect goalies aren't any good and I don't think Neuvirth would wanna come back and be a backup, when he could probably compete for the starting job somewhere else possibly.

Neuvirth and Niemi are the only decent goalies that are UFA's if they go to the market. Kinkaid may have been of interest to the Islanders as Halak's backup next year. The Flyers have nothing in the way of NHL ready backups either, as far as I know.

Just horrible Ray Emery (who is a UFA) and a 34 year old journeyman with a handful or two of NHL games played.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Back to Kinkaid, people don't realize the effect having Schneider has on Kinkaid -- and similarly the effect Greene has on the young D. Kinkaid is not coming in with otherworldly expectations, he's come in and told to play his game. Had we not signed Schneider, we would likely be looking at a mediocre tandem of Kinkaid + UFA goalie. That could've easily destroyed Kinkaid's confidence and ruined him. Schneider is almost like Kinkaid's safety blanket, all he has to do is come in and play well.

Not to mention there'd be a whole different kind of pressure if Kinkaid had to be the guy to replace Marty.

I know it's the end of a long season but let's keep this on topic now, no more wantonly hijacking threads just to re-start a seperate argument.

Last edited:

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Only topic to talk about is we resigned a good back up for Cory to a very good deal.

He also could be an asset to move for forwards in the next 2 years. Not that that is the biggest positive in this signing. But Talbot's price is going up on the Rangers, and I don't see why Kinkaid couldn't continue to do the same.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Honestly the only way Keith plays enough to up his trade value to anything really worth getting back is if Cory gets hurt (a la Lundqvist getting hurt this year and Talbot showing he can handle a larger workload)...then again there is always the possibility of a nutball deal like Yzerman's Lindback trade.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He also could be an asset to move for forwards in the next 2 years. Not that that is the biggest positive in this signing. But Talbot's price is going up on the Rangers, and I don't see why Kinkaid couldn't continue to do the same.

Depends on how Wedge looks next year and how Kinky does next year too.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
To get a first round pick for Kinkaid, it would likely take a long term injury to Cory and him going on a long run of good play like Talbot with the Rangers this year and Clemmensen when Marty was injured 6 or 7 years ago.

And Talbot still probably won't even get a first rounder, Clemmensen didn't either but he was older and not very good in the seasons leading up to that.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Honestly the only way Keith plays enough to up his trade value to anything really worth getting back is if Cory gets hurt (a la Lundqvist getting hurt this year and Talbot showing he can handle a larger workload)...then again there is always the possibility of a nutball deal like Yzerman's Lindback trade.

It depends on the goalie market. Some teams may zero in on a backup they think is the next Brobrovsky. Bernier on the Kings was pretty highly sought after. Varlamov on the caps. If there's a goalie drought, which there has been lately, I think Kinkaid could fetch a decent return, in the 2nd rounder range.

Maybe Kinkaid ends up being more valuable to the Devils in a Devil jersey, but I think a trade is possibly a good option in the future.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It depends on the goalie market. Some teams may zero in on a backup they think is the next Brobrovsky. Bernier on the Kings was pretty highly sought after. Varlamov on the caps. If there's a goalie drought, which there has been lately, I think Kinkaid could fetch a decent return, in the 2nd rounder range.

Maybe Kinkaid ends up being more valuable to the Devils in a Devil jersey, but I think a trade is possibly a good option in the future.

Varlamov was Washington's starter for a brief period of time and even had two seasons of playoff experience.

Bobrovsky played more than half of Philadelphia's games two season's before he was traded. He also didn't bring back a first I don't think.

Bernier was a former 11th overall pick and was expected to be better than Quick for a while there. He didn't return a first either. Just a meh forward prospect, a second round pick, and a TERRIBLE goaltender.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Varlamov was Washington's starter for a brief period of time and even had two seasons of playoff experience.

Bobrovsky played more than half of Philadelphia's games two season's before he was traded. He also didn't bring back a first I don't think.

Bernier was a former 11th overall pick and was expected to be better than Quick for a while there. He didn't return a first either. Just a meh forward prospect, a second round pick, and a TERRIBLE goaltender.

I wasn't comparing those guys directly to Kinkaid. I'm saying I can see a team taking a chance on a guy they think might be as good as one of those goalies. The goalie market could potentially drive up what teams are willing to give up to take a chance. I don't know that a team necessarily will look the other way just because he's backing up one of the best goalies in the league. Especially if Schneider is consistently healthy.

The biggest question mark with Schneider was that he was never really a starter, though he did have some long stints. He's obviously showing being a backup or not, he's the same goalie.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I wasn't comparing those guys directly to Kinkaid. I'm saying I can see a team taking a chance on a guy they think might be as good as one of those goalies. The goalie market could potentially drive up what teams are willing to give up to take a chance. I don't know that a team necessarily will look the other way just because he's backing up one of the best goalies in the league. Especially if Schneider is consistently healthy.

The biggest question mark with Schneider was that he was never really a starter, though he did have some long stints.

I think it would take a long term injury to Schneider to get Kinkaid to playing a lot of games. That's the only way his value would go up to something that high.

I wouldn't have been surprised if someone grabbed him off the UFA market this year though, which is why I stressed that we needed to sign him early.

Too many BAD backups in the league right now. It's a joke that Hutton and Emery have jobs in the NHL.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
I think it would take a long term injury to Schneider to get Kinkaid to playing a lot of games. That's the only way his value would go up to something that high.

I wouldn't have been surprised if someone grabbed him off the UFA market this year though, which is why I stressed that we needed to sign him early.

Too many BAD backups in the league right now. It's a joke that Hutton and Emery have jobs in the NHL.

You think a 2nd rounder and some change is too high?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
You have to expect that after one of the worst seasons in franchise history. If we were coming off a cup run then I'd say the person is just a miserable ****. In this case though, it's somewhat acceptable and understandable.

Really? Because, in this case, we're arguing that it was foolish to acquire a top 5 goaltender and assuming that a guy with barely over 10 games of NHL experience would be just as fine.

I don't see how that is understandable or acceptable.

I'm glad we have both Cory and Keith. We have no worries with the goalie position.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
And can we really, honestly say this team would be in a much better position for the future with Horvat instead of Schneider? I don't think so. I'm not sure how you could criticize that deal or the Kinkaid one. Very solid in goal for a while and that's huge.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Kinkaid is a more athletic goaltender and a better puck handler than Cory. In 2 to 3 years, this could be a competition, ASSUMING Kinkaid keeps improving, which is a huge IF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad