Confirmed with Link: Devils re-sign Keith Kinkaid 2 years (700k+750k)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
so youre suggesting tanking, then

when I bring that up, I get my head bit off.

Yes but it would have not been as obvious as Buffalo. Lou could have gotten away with it and with McDavid or Eichel, we would have had something to build around. We might get lucky and still get McDavid, but by the time they are ready Cory would be old.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Yes and we could have had McDavid or Eichel. Instead we're stuck with this 6th pick crap and we still didn't make the playoffs. If we had kept our pick, we would have had someone like Bo Havat and still would have had plenty of chances to pick up a goalie when our players get there. Also yes Cory is good, but we haven't really seen the potential of Kinkaid yet. He did fine considering the circumstances.

I just think we were a little premature in locking up a goalie when our prospects were so questionable. McDavid or Eichel would go a long way to helping this team.

6th pick in a deep draft is being pooped on, but you're pissed about giving up the 9th pick in a lesser draft?

your post reeks of loser sabres mentality, sorry.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Yes but it would have not been as obvious as Buffalo. Lou could have gotten away with it and with McDavid or Eichel, we would have had something to build around. We might get lucky and still get McDavid, but by the time they are ready Cory would be old.

having schneider locked up means we only need two impact forwards and a good coach to be in playoff competition.

your suggestion that we should go essentially goalie-less would only perpetuate the retool/rebuild/whatever this is. cory hastens the process.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
Great! A nice 61/21 split would be great. If he continues to put up numbers im sure a team will cough up a first for him in a few years

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I said plenty of times when I watched Albany during the lockout that Kinkaid and Frazee both had NHL potential.

They were both absolutely stellar in all of the games I watched while Albany would give up chance after chance. They were keeping Albany in games they had no business being in, but all people would look at was the losing record and stats that were more indicative of the team.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I said plenty of times when I watched Albany during the lockout that Kinkaid and Frazee both had NHL potential.

They were both absolutely stellar in all of the games I watched while Albany would give up chance after chance. They were keeping Albany in games they had no business being in, but all people would look at was the losing record and stats that were more indicative of the team.

Keith is a better netminder than Frazee (who was picked ahead of Quick :naughty:)

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Good move by Lou being pro-active. Keith was one of the bright spots this year.

I don't really remember the last time Lou signed a pending UFA before the playoffs were over :laugh:

Obviously Keith's deal wasn't too hard though. It's best served for him to stay here where he's built up some equity while he's still got limited experience, and it's certainly better served from our end to keep him.

DeVols

#VFL
Jan 31, 2008
Knoxville, TN

You do realize the only team guaranteed one of those two is Buffalo, right? I don't think we would have been worse than them.

ZBC is right. The Schneider trade was a great one.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Um what are you talking about? McDavid would very likely be NHL ready right from the get go. Let's not act like it will take 5 years.

And with all due respect, it's ridiculous to anoint Kinkaid as an NHL starter already. Has the guy even played 15 games yet?

He's been a pretty good backup for us, so I'm glad he's been locked up early. Especially when people would rather take a chance on him than the trash like Carter Hutton and Ray Emery, who undeservedly have jobs in this league despite their incompetent net minding that isn't NHL caliber.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Um what are you talking about? McDavid would very likely be NHL ready right from the get go. Let's not act like it will take 5 years.

And with all due respect, it's ridiculous to anoint Kinkaid as an NHL starter already. Has the guy even played 15 games yet?

He's been a pretty good backup for us, so I'm glad he's been locked up early. Especially when people would rather take a chance on him than the trash like Carter Hutton and Ray Emery, who undeservedly have jobs in this league despite their incompetent net minding that isn't NHL caliber.

No mention of Lindback?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
God, people will find something wrong in anything won't they?

Cory Schneider is an outstanding goalie. I would make the trade Lou made 10 times out of 10. Bear in mind that we had Kovalchuk at the time of that trade, so forward problems were not as strong as they appear to be now. It's ultra revisionist history to say that we shouldn't have made that trade so that we could have a shot at McDavid or Eichel now. Who knows how anything plays out if we don't make the trade?

Back on topic, I like the terms on this deal. Will be nice to have a cheap, dependable backup behind Cory.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
You do realize the only team guaranteed one of those two is Buffalo, right? I don't think we would have been worse than them.

ZBC is right. The Schneider trade was a great one.

After some fans complaining about Brodeur last season you don't think we would have been worse than Buffalo with Marty being the goalie?

Do you think Marty would have had more wins than Buffalo this season? More wins than Cory?

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
After some fans complaining about Brodeur last season you don't think we would have been worse than Buffalo with Marty being the goalie?

Do you think Marty would have had more wins than Buffalo this season? More wins than Cory?

this hurt to read given how ****ing irrelevant it is.

what is your argument, exactly?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Another "I'm bitter about Marty being pushed out" mentality is what it looks like to me.

Can we move on from Marty? He's been gone for a year now. And these tanking posts make me sick.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland

My point is that I think getting Cory was a mistake. We were on our way to a rebuild and we should have waited for more pieces before getting him. I don't think he's the key to our next cup and I don't think he'll have the success that you guys are predicting. We'll see who is right in the next few years.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
My point is that I think getting Cory was a mistake. We were on our way to a rebuild and we should have waited for more pieces before getting him. I don't think he's the key to our next cup and I don't think he'll have the success that you guys are predicting. We'll see who is right in the next few years.

I feel like Devils fans are so privileged going from Brodeur to Schneider they don't realize how hard it is to acquire a top end goalie like we've had the luxury of.

Schneider trade is one you do because goalies like him don't come around often. You might be able to ride a Dubynk or Hammond to the playoffs one year, but the chances of them repeating that performance are extremely slim.

Look at some teams like Philadelphia or Washington and then come back and say you wouldn't want to have Schneider.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

The only way we'll know if drafting a forward over trading for Cory that year was better, is to look at how many goals Cory saves and wonder if that forward would have produced more points than goals Cory saves.

Cory saves 11 or 12 more goals every 1000 shots than your average league goalie. Cory faced almost 2000 shots this season. Could we have drafted a guy that produced 24 or 25 points this year? Probably. But he would also be taking time away from possibly other guys this year (not that that's a bad thing) so you can throw out some other players point totals, who may not have even been on the team.

Would Kinkaid be able to be a league average goaltender as a starter? Too soon to tell. If we had a goaltender like Scrivens this year as starter, we'd be probably second to worst team in the league. Very close to BuffaLOL. Way too close for Murray and BuffaLOL fans comfort, that's for sure.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I feel like Devils fans are so privileged going from Brodeur to Schneider they don't realize how hard it is to acquire a top end goalie like we've had the luxury of.

Schneider trade is one you do because goalies like him don't come around often. You might be able to ride a Dubynk or Hammond to the playoffs one year, but the chances of them repeating that performance are extremely slim.

Look at some teams like Philadelphia or Washington and then come back and say you wouldn't want to have Schneider.

I remember Edmonton being mad because they offered a better package than we did. We got him for a steal and people are still trying to complain about something...

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
God, people will find something wrong in anything won't they?

Cory Schneider is an outstanding goalie. I would make the trade Lou made 10 times out of 10. Bear in mind that we had Kovalchuk at the time of that trade, so forward problems were not as strong as they appear to be now. It's ultra revisionist history to say that we shouldn't have made that trade so that we could have a shot at McDavid or Eichel now. Who knows how anything plays out if we don't make the trade?

Back on topic, I like the terms on this deal. Will be nice to have a cheap, dependable backup behind Cory.

You have to expect that after one of the worst seasons in franchise history. If we were coming off a cup run then I'd say the person is just a miserable ****. In this case though, it's somewhat acceptable and understandable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad