GDT: Devils-Rangers preseason finale, MSG/MSG+/NHLN TV coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Larsson looked better than I've seen him in avery long time last night.

The offense was nice, but his decision making was spot on, he seemed to read the play better than I remember him doing in the past. His decisions when to pull out of the offensive zone and go on defense were particularly noticeable. He was giving himself that extra half second to not get caught flat footed and establish a proper gap and his backward skating looked smooth and crisp...but I think that more to do with good reads than his skating. Being a step above the play eliminated the chasing that has plagued him...Larsson showed some real signs of figuring things out last night.

Hoping for more.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Larsson looked better than I've seen him in avery long time last night.

The offense was nice, but his decision making was spot on, he seemed to read the play better than I remember him doing in the past. His decisions when to pull out of the offensive zone and go on defense were particularly noticeable. He was giving himself that extra half second to not get caught flat footed and establish a proper gap and his backward skating looked smooth and crisp...but I think that more to do with good reads than his skating. Being a step above the play eliminated the chasing that has plagued him...Larsson showed some real signs of figuring things out last night.

Hoping for more.

That's what he needs to do too. He is never going to become an above average skater but he can compensate for it with good reads (and also prove that speed isn't everything).

I hope for more as well

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
After last night I think Gionta would be a good #13 forward. He has speed and was creating chances last night.

I certainly would prefer the speed of Tootoo and Gionta over the Bernier or to a lesser extent Carter in the bottom 6. I liked Tootoo's game as well. Him and Gionta almost had a very nice give and go goal.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
was gonna watch it but cant renew GCL till next week

summary?

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Larsson was good, Jagr scored again(*Yawn* I know. :sarcasm: ), and Sal did his best Clarktard imitation but managed somehow to prevent an odd-man rush from his ass on the ice. :laugh:

I have forgotten totally about Toronto's $5 000 000 guy :laugh::laugh::laugh: how is he doing over there, by the way? I do miss him on this team, though, was always funny to watch him :D He is like a guy who learned to play hockey on his own and then was brought to NHL to play with people who have are products of junior systems.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Watching the highlights seems the top line is slowly developing some chemistry. I can definitely see there is plenty of talent there.

Awesome for Lars, I hope it serves as a big confidence boost for him and of course I feel great about Cory.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm not that concerned about Larsson's defensive game. I'd like to see his offense develop. I've wanted to see more offense out of him, and last night he brought that.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm not that concerned about Larsson's defensive game. I'd like to see his offense develop. I've wanted to see more offense out of him, and last night he brought that.

But it all stems from good decisions, both offense and defense IMO. His situation recognition looked at a level we haven't seen before from my perspective.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Just glanced at the box score for the first time. It looks like they were essentially rolling the defense. Merrill's TOI appeared to be the most balanced in terms of PP/SH.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Just glanced at the box score for the first time. It looks like they were essentially rolling the defense. Merrill's TOI appeared to be the most balanced in terms of PP/SH.

He was good too. He is definitely the most polished of the young D men.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't know why people aren't more excited about this defense?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Probably because I'm more nervous. This is the biggest youth movement on defense that the Devils have ever had since I've been a fan.

The year the Devil won the cup in 2000 they used a 22 year old rookie Colin White, a 23 year old 3rd year NHLer Sheldon Souray (who was traded but still played 50+ games here), Brian Rafalski who was older (26) but was still a rookie and playing in his first North American Pro season...We also used a 22 year old Willie Mitchell - only a couple games though.

Of course we don't have a Stevens and Niedermayer to make all work...But there is probably twice as much talent in this group as opposed to the 2000 group.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Probably because I'm more nervous. This is the biggest youth movement on defense that the Devils have ever had since I've been a fan.

This season means nothing. The cup isn't coming to New Jersey. They are playing with house money. I'm 100% down with youth playing.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Caution about young defensemen is always wise.

As far as Merrill, Gelinas and Larsson are concerned they really aren't that young.

All are 22 years and older, All have have at least 1 NHL season under their belt...

Unproven? Definitely.

But this is it! The moment of truth when we find out if these guys are capable.... that is exciting by itself.

But each one of them have already shown their own special abilities from Larsson's passing to Gelinas' shot to Merrill's steady two way intelligent play...So were aren't exactly flying blind here. It's time for these guys to take the next step, the potential is there and it has been shown in bits and pieces now it is time to see it full time.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
As far as Merrill, Gelinas and Larsson are concerned they really aren't that young.

All are 22 years and older, All have have at least 1 NHL season under their belt...

Unproven? Definitely.

But this is it! The moment of truth when we find out if these guys are capable.... that is exciting by itself.

But each one of them have already shown their own special abilities from Larsson's passing to Gelinas' shot to Merrill's steady two way intelligent play...So were aren't exactly flying blind here. It's time for these guys to take the next step, the potential is there and it has been shown in bits and pieces now it is time to see it full time.

While the potential for a huge payoff is there, it won't be without a few "New Jersey Oilers" moments along the way. I just pray there's no flying V screen caps. :sarcasm:

flying-v-oilers.jpg

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
While the potential for a huge payoff is there, it won't be without a few "New Jersey Oilers" moments along the way. I just pray there's no flying V screen caps. :sarcasm:

flying-v-oilers.jpg

This why guys like Greene, Zidlicky and Salvador are important. Regardless of their ability, they should be providing veteran leadership, guidance and be a calming influence to get these players past the inevitable rough patches.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Our defense is going to surprise a lot of people...even some of our own fans.

The defense is the strong point of the team. Now it's a question of it executing it's potential on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad