GDT: Devils @ Panthers - 7:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
After reviewing all 4 GA my conclusion is that #4 was not on Blackwood. 1 through 3, he had a stormy night. Was it the Worst Devils Goaltending night this season, or of all time? Absolutely not.

Maybe he is sore from his game injury 5 night ago, even after plenty of rest. The Devils are trying to save Bernier for Tampa on Saturday afternoon.

I hear you Bleedred re: goalies

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Couldn’t believe the number of empty seats I saw on TV, given the quality of the team they have. That’s insane.

They play out in the middle of the Everglades. With rush hour traffic it is about an hour from Miami, and even 30-40 minutes from Fort Lauderdale. And there is always bad traffic, especially tonight with rain (it took me an hour to go 15 miles tonight). I live in Miami and was thinking of going to game tonight earlier this week, but decided against it because I didn’t want to make that trek up there. It may be the very worst arena location in the entire league. For comparison the Heat play in Downtown Miami.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
They play out in the middle of the Everglades. With rush hour traffic it is about an hour from Miami, and even 30-40 minutes from Fort Lauderdale. And there is always bad traffic, especially tonight with rain (it took me an hour to go 15 miles tonight). I live in Miami and was thinking of going to game tonight earlier this week, but decided against it because I didn’t want to make that trek up there. It may be the very worst arena location in the entire league. For comparison the Heat play in Downtown Miami.

Interesting, thanks, sad

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
They are the highest scoring team in the NHL and tonight we saw why. I really don't put it on Blackwood either, although it would have been good to see him stop a couple of those goals.

They pushed us around pretty good starting in the second period. The story was as much them taking physical control of the game and puck possession in the second period, as it was the missed call or anything Blackwood let in. Yeah I wish he'd stopped a few more, he could have kept it closer. But physically we really didn't match up to them and once they took our high speed track meet game away from us, the momentum swung entirely. I worry that we rely too much on the high energy game off the rush. When you expend all that energy there's nothing left after a while. We really generated no or very few high grade chances after the first period.

Couldn’t agree more with this post.

We played a team that roughed us up and we folded, again. The Panthers are skilled but they’re also a big physical team and they stole our lunch money in the 2nd period and continued to bully us in the 3rd.

When we play those types of teams, we look outclassed and can’t get anything going. The lack of size up front is a major issue and we need to address this sooner rather then later. Jesper Bratt got schooled by a bigger dman and that turnover was in our net 5 seconds later.

We’re very impressive when the opposition lets us utilize our speed but the second they start taking the body and closing down the neutral zone, we look lost.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saint Beaurivage

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Once that game ended 1-1 after the first, I wasn’t that confident we’d win that game. We dominated them and for it to end up a tie was a bad sign. They turned it up after the first period, it happens, just gotta bury our chances in that first period and it’s a different game. Knight was bad in our first game between the two teams and tonight he was a huge difference maker. I’m not that confident versus TB but just don’t get blown out I guess, lol.

Camille the Eel

We played a team that roughed us up and we folded, again. The Panthers are skilled but they’re also a big physical team and they stole our lunch money in the 2nd period and continued to bully us in the 3rd.

When we play those types of teams, we look outclassed and can’t get anything going. The lack of size up front is a major issue and we need to address this sooner rather then later. Jesper Bratt got schooled by a bigger dman and that turnover was in our net 5 seconds later.

We’re very impressive when the opposition lets us utilize our speed but the second they start taking the body and closing down the neutral zone, we look lost.
But at least Bratt was fighting to go to the net before he got destroyed that time. Kuok and Hischier did too. But in general we didn’t get to the net mouth once the game changed direction.

When we beat them up in Jersey a couple of our goals were rebounds or tips (or bounces alas too) and we didn’t get to play that kind of game tonight. But I do wish we had fought back harder against some of the rough stuff by Ekblad and Gudas.

Reactions: glenwo2

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I can't believe the staff have him riding the pine when he was getting great time and experience down in Utica.
I really hate our coaching staff and their stupid decisions.
if they plan to give him a one or two game break, sending him to utica would be even worse.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
@Bleedred .. Were you wearing a hishcier jersey ..? White jersey?
No. I was in a red Brodeur jersey, a Reebok.

Watch this clip again and look for the Devils crest on the front of that jersey to the far left, to the left and above the Devils bench. It should almost at the end of the left corner of your screen. That’s me.

Someone should post it on the main board. I'd love to see their take.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
After reviewing all 4 GA my conclusion is that #4 was not on Blackwood. 1 through 3, he had a stormy night. Was it the Worst Devils Goaltending night this season, or of all time? Absolutely not.

Maybe he is sore from his game injury 5 night ago, even after plenty of rest. The Devils are trying to save Bernier for Tampa on Saturday afternoon.

I hear you Bleedred re: goalies
I don’t think the 2nd goal was bad, but the first was a stoppable one and the third was just no good.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Where their building is to the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area is almost like if the Lightning played in my town.

It’s not really the middle of the Everglades, but the western most place you could build an area in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area.

And the traffic was terrible heading there on Alligator Alley, but I left way too late, due to some unforeseen circumstances. I actually missed the entire 1st period. So we got shutout and out scored 3-0 while I was there.

Reactions: My3Sons

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

the devils had several chances after long break out passes. they just missed all of them.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
As long as Blackwood is ok, and goalies can have off games and then get going, I’m not particularly worried about them mentally.

We don’t have a 3C though.

McLeod played the most against the Luostarinen’s 3rd line and the 2nd most time against Thornton’s 4th line.

Boqvist also got a lot of Thornton and some of Lundell’s 2nd line

That leaves the big guns for Nico’s and Mercer’s lines, which isn’t a good thing. McLeod was playing against tougher lines last season but he’s not this season, at least lately. And if he’s not a shutting down their more dangerous scorers or scoring, then he’s pretty useless 5v5.

I have no idea how this wasn't addressed in the off-season, given that it has been obvious that this is a glaring need, just like #1 d-man and a goalie. People criticize Kuokkanen and Sharangovich, and to a degree rightfully so but they don't realize that last season those two were so efficient because of the work done by Zajac and later by Hughes, the same can't be replicated by McLeod nor Boqvist.

The only reason not getting external #3C didn't kill this season is the emergence of a teenager in Dawson Mercer but there's no way they could have predicted not only that he'll become a NHL regular right off the bat but also that he will be able to do well as a center.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I have no idea how this wasn't addressed in the off-season, given that it has been obvious that this is a glaring need, just like #1 d-man and a goalie. People criticize Kuokkanen and Sharangovich, and to a degree rightfully so but they don't realize that last season those two were so efficient because of the work done by Zajac and later by Hughes, the same can't be replicated by McLeod nor Boqvist.

The only reason not getting external #3C didn't kill this season is the emergence of a teenager in Dawson Mercer but there's no way they could have predicted not only that he'll become a NHL regular right off the bat but also that he will be able to do well as a center.
but not getting an external #3c might is the only reason mercer made the team out of training camp and else most devils fans wouldn't even be aware of this treasure. fitz and the management team tough might had a pretty good idea, what mercer can be and therefore didn't see a need for signing or acquiring a 3c. if hughes doesn't get injured 4 periods into the season, your complaints about the missing external 3c would be a moot point.

just give the damn build of a contender a little time. i fully understand, that the devils started the rebuild like 6 years ago. the first 6 years were used to collect assets, develop the drafted players and add a few veterans for guidance and better on ice results. the talent level is mostly restocked at all positions, both in the nhl as well as in the farm system (with one glaring exception). still the devils have the youngest roster in the nhl and hardly ever the youngest team wins the stanley cup. expect another 2-5 seasons where the talent matures and collects the needed experience to become a true contender. our opponents won't just rollover and make a way for the next devils championship parade.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
but not getting an external #3c might is the only reason mercer made the team out of training camp and else most devils fans wouldn't even be aware of this treasure. fitz and the management team tough might had a pretty good idea, what mercer can be and therefore didn't see a need for signing or acquiring a 3c. if hughes doesn't get injured 4 periods into the season, your complaints about the missing external 3c would be a moot point.

With the way Mercer has played, he'd easily make it as a winger. IIRC, the comments about Mercer indicated that it wasn't in their plans that Mercer would make the team straight out of the camp, which is how teams normally operate unless we are talking about a 1st or 2nd overall pick. Hughes' injury only exacerbated the problem that was already there.

just give the damn build of a contender a little time. i fully understand, that the devils started the rebuild like 6 years ago. the first 6 years were used to collect assets, develop the drafted players and add a few veterans for guidance and better on ice results. the talent level is mostly restocked at all positions, both in the nhl as well as in the farm system (with one glaring exception). still the devils have the youngest roster in the nhl and hardly ever the youngest team wins the stanley cup. expect another 2-5 seasons where the talent matures and collects the needed experience to become a true contender. our opponents won't just rollover and make a way for the next devils championship parade.

Dude, am I saying that they need to win the cup this season? Am I getting impatient?

No, all I'm saying that they had a hole on #3C in the off-season and they ignored it, while at the same time patching the other holes (#1D, top4 D, a goalie and a top six winger). In 2020/21 they went with "let's give the kids NHL jobs for free and see what happens" and I was fine with that because while we were one of the worst teams in the league, it developed some players and created some value that wouldn't be created in AHL. But if you make several moves that indicate that you're getting a bit more serious about contending, you should also cover 3C, especially given that this is a position that can be fixed with a significantly lower risk/price than Bernier or Tatar.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
We get out of that first period up 1-0, we go home with the W. I believe that.

With that said, it's another disappointment that one late goal disheartened the team.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
We get out of that first period up 1-0, we go home with the W. I believe that.

With that said, it's another disappointment that one late goal disheartened the team.

Yea I think if they came out 1-0 or 2-0, they at least get a point out of it. The offside goal didn't help, but at 2-1 they seemed dead in the water anyway.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Where their building is to the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area is almost like if the Lightning played in my town.

It’s not really the middle of the Everglades, but the western most place you could build an area in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area.

And the traffic was terrible heading there on Alligator Alley, but I left way too late, due to some unforeseen circumstances. I actually missed the entire 1st period. So we got shutout and out scored 3-0 while I was there.

It is the worst arena location in the country. The team originally played in downtown Miami, but the original owner Wayne Huzienga was notorious for being a “Broward guy” and hated the City of Miami itself and cut a deal with Broward for a new arena in Sunrise. The Heat were smart enough to abandon joining in those plans and cut a deal with Miami for an arena on the waterfront a few blocks from the old place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad