GDT: Devils @ Panthers - 7:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I agree with this. I worry though if the mental part of “a streak” ends up creating bad habits and a death spiral for those key games.
As long as Blackwood is ok, and goalies can have off games and then get going, I’m not particularly worried about them mentally.

We don’t have a 3C though.

McLeod played the most against the Luostarinen’s 3rd line and the 2nd most time against Thornton’s 4th line.

Boqvist also got a lot of Thornton and some of Lundell’s 2nd line

That leaves the big guns for Nico’s and Mercer’s lines, which isn’t a good thing. McLeod was playing against tougher lines last season but he’s not this season, at least lately. And if he’s not a shutting down their more dangerous scorers or scoring, then he’s pretty useless 5v5.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Be nice to have a guy like tarasenko……..
Yup. I wanted him in a big way this off-season. Fitz made some very very solid moves though and can’t hold anything against him. He did get us a top pairing on D and a good goalie but it still would have been nice to have got him while his cost was lower. I wanted Tarasenko over Tatar , but Tatar was the safer bet.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Who have you liked game to game?

Nico - He's not making a difference but he's been better than his stat line. Tatar and Holtz have missed some nice passing plays and Nico has missed some good looks. Still, I'm giving him a pass
Bratt - Liked him for 80% of his minutes. He can disappear, but again, he's getting a pass
Tatar - I don't see what others see. He reminds me of 2020-1 Mango
Mercer - other than some rookie penalties, absolutely impact every game
McLeod - expendable
Vesey - come down to earth from a really solid start
Kuokk - expendable but seems to be more involved than start of the year
Zacha - Liked him for most of his minutes. He's getting a pass
Shara - Can he get consistent ice-time in Utica, because he looks like a shell of himself
Johnsson - More decisive, confident and positive almost every shift
Boqvist - coming on; I want to see him stick
Zetterlund - actually like his Miles Wood-iness aggression.

Hamilton - Lidstrom-esque. Yeah, I'm going there. I don't know what he can't do
Graves - Today was a slow mental game on top of a slow physical game. Liked 80% of his minutes. He gets a pass
Subban - Cannot cover space anymore. Hands are still ok. Edges look ok, but he looks like a guy that had hip replacements. His inability to make defensive plays creates trouble for everyone on the ice. replaceable
Siegs - Positive relative to competition.
Severson - total gambler who seems to lose focus for 3 shifts per game
Smith - soft, not delivering on the other end. I'm not panicking but he needs to get a lot better

Bernier - solid, generally positive
Blackwood - consistency; someone said last year that Blackwood is a player that looks fantastic for 2 weeks and then has 2 games that make you shake your head

PK - not as freaked out as I was last year; improved
PP - getting better but far from good

That's an average team and thank the heavens for His royal presence, Sir Vicount Douglas Hamilton and those games where Mercer's line can really score a few.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I can't believe the staff have him riding the pine when he was getting great time and experience down in Utica.
I really hate our coaching staff and their stupid decisions.
Calling Holtz up, and keeping him up is mgmt's call, not the coaching staff.

Him riding the pine is on the coaches, but I think his play has warranted it.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I didn’t see the 4th goal but the first 3 by Blackwood should’ve been stopped. He should’ve been pulled after the 3rd goal which btw shouldn’t have counted. Giving up that goal with 6 seconds left really deflated the team. Wonder how the game would’ve turned out otherwise. Start bernier win lose he gets the game after that too.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Couldn’t believe the number of empty seats I saw on TV, given the quality of the team they have. That’s insane.

Thought the same thing. I know it's a ghost town there but if there were a season to start showing up, this is it.

Camille the Eel

I think the first goal allowed was more important than you think. How can you go from outshooting and outplaying your opponent that badly to getting dominated mere minutes later. It was that first goal that opened the door wide open for the complete 180 in the game. 6 frickin seconds away from the best period played all year.
Maybe they just had time to gather themselves up at intermission and raise the level of their play. If we'd left the ice one to nothing, their push back would still have happened. They are the highest scoring club in the league and maybe have the best record in the NHL right now too. We embarrassed them 7 - 3 last week in Newark and out skated them in the first period. They woke up. They were bound to. Good clubs do. From that perspective I don't think that one goal was as important as our failure to go up by two or three goals in the first period. We blew so much energy there and had only the one goal to show for it. That they tied it wasn't the thing to me so much as that we didn't have more to show for the opportunities we had throughout the period, if not to put the game away, at least to gain a cushion that might have allowed us to take the punch when it came.

Bratt's failure to cash on the breakaway, that would have put us up 2 zip was maybe as big a play as allowing that late goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad