Devils or Rangers: Who has the better future?

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Plan under Gorton lmao the same GM that in the course of a week traded away our best player (Stepan) at the most important position in hockey, the first move to kick off a rebuild, but then two days later goes ahead and makes a win now put us over the top as contenders UFA signing (Shattenkirk).

Oh and by doing so just delayed the inevitable in trading away McDonagh thus forcing himself to trade Mac at the deadline with a market that has now been cut in half, oh and now you need to compete for offers with the best defenseman of this generation now also on the trade market.

Of course Gorton got a horrible return for Mac, he boxed himself into one and only one trade partner.

Oh how is this for planning: letting AV force JT Miller out of town because he was "uncoachable" then firing AV two months later anyway.

Gorton is and was horribly overrated. He had the easiest job on planet Earth being able to liquidate a roster that was just a year removed from another near ECF appearance, no other GMs got such a head start on their rebuild getting to trade off huge names like Stepan, Brassard, McDonagh, Miller, Nash, Zuccarello. etc.

Look at what BA has done in AZ with nothing but Connor Garland and cap space, he brought in the equivalent of all that Gorton acquired and to his detriment he had a defenseman on the worst contract in the league unlike McDonagh and his measly $4.5 million cap hit.

The only difference is that two of the best players in the league forced their way to NYC and not Glendale.
Gorton sure beats Drury who is destroying the Rangers all because you got tossed around by the isles and capitals

I don't mind, makes life for me as an isles fan better by getting free popcorn laughing at james dolan every offseason

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Gorton sure beats Drury who is destroying the Rangers all because you got tossed around by the isles and capitals

I don't mind, makes life for me as an isles fan better by getting free popcorn laughing at james dolan every offseason
But yet we are still becoming a better, tougher team to play against next season....did anyone let Lou know the offseason started?

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
But yet we are still becoming a better, tougher team to play against next season....did anyone let Lou know the offseason started?
I think Lou know's exactly what he's doing. Have the rangers forgotten who they are because they got tossed around by the isles and capitals year in and year out?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rangers, but I have no faith in Drury’s management. I think he’s been a disaster so far. I also don’t think he’s the one running the team. Sather is running the team and it’s not going well. Sather is trying to turn us into the Isles or Habs. Sather and Dolan are perennial losers. Neither has been able to build a winner in NY because they are always trying to make loud moves. I didn’t think Gorton was that good, but he had the right philosophy.

Saying all that, I don’t think the Devils are all that close to the Rangers. They don’t have the same types of assets in their organization. I’ll go Rangers, but I’m not convinced either is winning a Cup anytime soon.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Please tell me, how is Drury destroying the Rangers?

How many times I've seen during the past week these claims that Drury is destroying the rebuild or whatever, yet not a single explanation what that actually means. None of the young players in the roster have been traded. None of the prospects have been traded. The draft pick pool has not been depleted.

You can argue the return for Buchnevich was underwhelming, and the contract for Goodrow is too much, but there's nothing wrong with the moves themselves. 90% of the Rangers fans are pleased with what direction this team is being taken atm.

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Rangers but not so easily due to Hughes and Hischier down the middle. The Rangers have the Devils beat up and down the board except at center but that's the most important position in the sport and it also happens to be the Rangers biggest weakness.

For the short term the Rangers probably have 4 of the top 5 best players if you combined the teams (Panarin, Fox, Zibanejad, Shesterkin and then Nico/Kreider/should be Buch in that order)

crap forgot Hamilton for a second so he's number 4 then Shesty is 5

Goaltending>Center

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Future as in next 5 years, the 5 after that?
Potential is one thing, living up to potential is another.

Rangers in the next 5 years and quite easily so.
After that it's unknown territory

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think the Rangers have a larger collection of high-end pieces, but I do have the most faith in Jack Hughes. I would still be inclined to say the Rangers, but Drury doesn't really inspire any confidence.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I’d also like to point out that the Devils started their rebuild before the Rangers. Zacha was picked at 6OA in 2015. Rangers had the 7OA in 2017 after not even having firsts in 15 and 16.

The Rangers started later and are already better than the Devils, who picked 4OA this year after being awful again last year. Recall they were beaten by a very mediocre Rangers team 4 times in a row down the stretch.

Perhaps these extra lottery picks will propel the Devils ahead eventually but they are damn sure taking their time.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I’d also like to point out that the Devils started their rebuild before the Rangers. Zacha was picked at 6OA in 2015. Rangers had the 7OA in 2017 after not even having firsts in 15 and 16.

The Rangers started later and are already better than the Devils, who picked 4OA this year after being awful again last year. Recall they were beaten by a very mediocre Rangers team 4 times in a row down the stretch.

Perhaps these extra lottery picks will propel the Devils ahead eventually but they are damn sure taking their time.

It’s also a lot easier to build fast when Fox, Trouba, and Panarin will only play in NY. Rags have a huge advantage over a lot of teams in the league (if not all of them) when it comes to players wanting to player there (for whatever reason).

It takes most teams years to rebuild but they had an extremely fast turnaround (potentially). How long were people saying “this is the year Carolina (or Florida) is going to make the playoffs!” before they actually did?

What the Rags did was not a traditional rebuild. They have advantages that just about no other team has access to making it more of a retool than a rebuild.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It’s also a lot easier to build fast when Fox, Trouba, and Panarin will only play in NY. Rags have a huge advantage over a lot of teams in the league (if not all of them) when it comes to players wanting to player there (for whatever reason).

It takes most teams years to rebuild but they had an extremely fast turnaround (potentially). How long were people saying “this is the year Carolina (or Florida) is going to make the playoffs!” before they actually did?

What the Rags did was not a traditional rebuild. They have advantages that just about no other team has access to making it more of a retool than a rebuild.
The Rangers are not the only team that has this type of advantage or something similar. Tampa, Florida, Toronto, probably Chicago, LA... Probably some others as well. Yes, there are some teams where you might have to do more to lure free agents but that's how it is. Even with a hard salary cap and draft, you can't make the playing field 100% even, the NHL has probably done more in this regard than any other league in the world.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
The Rangers are not the only team that has this type of advantage or something similar. Tampa, Florida, Toronto, probably Chicago, LA... Probably some others as well. Yes, there are some teams where you might have to do more to lure free agents but that's how it is. Even with a hard salary cap and draft, you can't make the playing field 100% even, the NHL has probably done more in this regard than any other league in the world.

It’s true the teams with no state tax also have an advantage in attracting players. But can we at least admit that the reason the Rags were able to turn it around so fast is because of their advantage? Especially if someone is going to try to brag about the timeline it took them to turn things around.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It’s true the teams with no state tax also have an advantage in attracting players. But can we at least admit that the reason the Rags were able to turn it around so fast is because of their advantage? Especially if someone is going to try to brag about the timeline it took them to turn things around.
For sure it helps, absolutely. But I think it's also quite clear that when it comes to the prospects the Rangers have the advantage in all the other areas except center. Now granted, center is probably the most important position in hockey so should Hughes and Hischier reach that next level, it will help the Devils greatly.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
For sure it helps, absolutely. But I think it's also quite clear that when it comes to the prospects the Rangers have the advantage in all the other areas except center. Now granted, center is probably the most important position in hockey so should Hughes and Hischier reach that next level, it will help the Devils greatly.

I guess I just don’t see it. If we’re talking strictly prospects do the Rangers have a better defender than Luke Hughes in the pipeline?

Do they have better wing prospects than Holtz, Mercer, or Foote?

I’d say the Rangers have a better young team right now but the Devils have more coming up. At the very least the rivalry should be reignited in the next couple of years.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
The Rangers have some great U23 pieces (Fox, etc.) but their key contributors on offense are >28 years old and in their prime right now. The Devils, outside of Hamilton, have no key contributors over the age of 26.

So while prospects are great and all, and each side has some tremendous ones.. it's hard to argue against players you know are going to be key contributors. The flip side is that means the clock is already ticking as the most opportune time to win for the Rangers is while Panarin, etc. are in their prime as there is no guarantee someone replaces their elite production (and if they do, well.. rather have 2x elite production).

Rangers are certainly a safer bet for the next 2-3 years (though I think they still need a big boosts from their youngsters to become contenders). Devils have built their prospect pool to have all the correct pieces to complement their current young/NHL talent (i.e. wingers, LHD namely) but will need more development time + obviously have to hit on their prospects. Rangers have more room for error with prospects not hitting their full potential given their veterans.

(IMO getting Laf was perhaps the most pivotal part of the Rangers rebuild as it gives them a chance to replace Panarin as he exits his prime.. they lacked this potential elite piece previously. I think take away Laf and the Rangers window would have essentially lined up with Panarin's remaining prime of 3-4 years.. Laf developing into a top winger can extend that).

Last edited:

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
I also think both teams fanbases think they are much closer to contending then they actually are. The Rangers had a top 5 forward, a bonafide 1C and a Norris trophy winner.. and still weren't very close to even getting in the playoffs, let alone contending. I'm not sure how many years you can bank on having that production without injuries, down years, etc. screwing it up. The Devils are also just all potential right now, even down the middle. Odds are, much of their pool (like every NHL team) will not hit their potentials.. so there needs to be less penciling in of every single prospect.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

Yep. Also by the Rangers are better now and likely will be for the next several years. Not sure what you’re arguing if anything.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Yep. Also by the Rangers are better now and likely will be for the next several years. Not sure what you’re arguing if anything.
You’re using the speed at which both teams were able to build their team as some kind of advantage for the Rags. I’m pointing out how much easier it is for them to build a team than just about every other team in the league.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Was going to say Rangers easily but after thinking a bit it’s pretty damn close. Wish I had a better idea of the Devils prospects to give a better response. I’ll have to hop over to your board sometime.

I am leaning Rangers still, but I think this is going to be one hell of a rivalry in the future

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad