Devils or Rangers: Who has the better future?

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Gotta go with the Rangers, as they have more established talent (ie Shesterkin, Fox, Panarin, Zibby, Lafreniere, Kakko, etc etc) and a pretty well-stocked system too but I'd have to agree they have some pretty big question marks down the middle long-term. (Devils definitely look to have the edge there)

Like what the Devils are doing though. Long term they may be the better bet
I don’t see how Shesterkin, Laf, and Kakko are any more “established” than Mackenzie Blackwood, Jack Hughes, Nico Hischier, Jesper Bratt, Ty Smith, etc etc.

OilersCoffeeArtBeer

Jun 7, 2021
Seattle
It's pretty close when you take away zibs and stroke. Kakko has been lackluster but so has Hughes. Lafreniere didn't have a great rookie year but the rangers still have panarin and a really good goalie in the future.
Rangers get the nod because of panarin. Both teams aren't world beaters.

Zacha37

Dec 8, 2016
It's pretty close when you take away zibs and stroke. Kakko has been lackluster but so has Hughes. Lafreniere didn't have a great rookie year but the rangers still have panarin and a really good goalie in the future.
Rangers get the nod because of panarin. Both teams aren't world beaters.
wouldn’t say hughes has been lackluster at all. definitely took a big step last year and is gonna explode when more talent is around him. might be a bit biased i would bet that he definitely has the best career out of hughes/laf/kakko

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
I don’t see how Shesterkin, Laf, and Kakko are any more “established” than Mackenzie Blackwood, Jack Hughes, Nico Hischier, Jesper Bratt, Ty Smith, etc etc.

That's a fair comment for sure, I'd maybe argue Shesterkin with some vehemence but Blackwood looks like he could be a good one as well.

Certainly the latter part of my list has the *pedigree* to be excellent, but I guess we shall see

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Just want to see some opinions. As a devils fan, I’m really optimistic about the teams future and want to see how others think we line up with our rivals say 3-5 years from now.

I'd rather be a Devils fan than a Rangers fan right now.

Goaltending I'd say is probably pretty close.
Defensive core: Again, pretty close - Fox/Trouba/Miller vs Hamilton/Graves/Smith
Forward core: I'd give a significant edge to NY, but that might change quickly (Panarin/Zib/Kakko/Laf vs Hughes/Hischier) and the C depth for NJ might have more weight to it than the winger depth of NY
Prospects/Young NHLers: I give a big advantage to NJ here just because their prospect pool is full of really good wingers to compliment their very good U22 centers

NY is handcuffed to some big contracts (Panarin is a good deal, but Kreider + Goodrow is 9m on your 3rd line ... Trouba is an 8m 2nd pairing D) whereas NJ has no bad contracts after this next season. I think the contracts for Boqvist/Zacha/Bratt/Wood will be the determining factor for how good the Devils can be - if they can get them all locked up to reasonable deals, spend the Subban money on adding a top 6W and a top 4D and then add some combo of Hughes, Foote, Mercer, Holtz on ELCs, the Devils can easily become a cup favourite by 2023-2024.

As a side note: If I am the GM of the Devils, I am calling Vancouver and asking what it takes to get Q.H to NJ ... one of Mercer/Holtz, one of Bratt/Zacha, a first round pick and maybe something small ... imagine.

Graves/Hamilton
Q.Hughes/Smith
L.Hughes/X

Could end up being one of the best defensive corps in the league in a couple of years

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The young cores are very similar in terms of overall talent, obviously in different positions and at different levels of NHL readiness.

The big difference is NYR has some stars in their prime like Panarin and Zib while the Devils don't really have anyone notable over the age of 25 except Damon Severson (and now Hamilton). That certainly gives the Rangers the edge in the short-term, but long-term NJ has a lot of potential with cap flexibility. How they choose to use it will be key in setting up their potential window.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

Defensive core: Again, pretty close - Fox/Trouba/Miller vs Hamilton/Graves/Smith
Forward core: I'd give a significant edge to NY, but that might change quickly (Panarin/Zib/Kakko/Laf vs Hughes/Hischier) and the C depth for NJ might have more weight to it than the winger depth of NY
Prospects/Young NHLers: I give a big advantage to NJ here just because their prospect pool is full of really good wingers to compliment their very good U22 centers

NY is handcuffed to some big contracts (Panarin is a good deal, but Kreider + Goodrow is 9m on your 3rd line ... Trouba is an 8m 2nd pairing D) whereas NJ has no bad contracts after this next season. I think the contracts for Boqvist/Zacha/Bratt/Wood will be the determining factor for how good the Devils can be - if they can get them all locked up to reasonable deals, spend the Subban money on adding a top 6W and a top 4D and then add some combo of Hughes, Foote, Mercer, Holtz on ELCs, the Devils can easily become a cup favourite by 2023-2024.

giphy.gif

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015

I would like the Ranger's situation a lot more if Zib wasn't likely to walk for nothing in the summer, and you didn't have Kreider or Goodrow. Trouba likely isn't going anywhere as it would be bad business for the Rags to move him so soon.

I'm high on Kakko/Laf - I think K'andre will be special, Fox is great (and about to get paid for it) ... but even with 13m in cap space, when you consider that Fox is probably going to get 8-9, Zib will be looking for a 3-4m raise, Kakko is due for his bridge, Laf will be 1yr from bridge ... there won't be a lot of money around, and what happens if your young wingers don't want a bridge and want a 7/8yr?

Best bet for the Rags at this point is to all-in on Eichel and try to win while you have a good pool of ELC players.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
I would like the Ranger's situation a lot more if Zib wasn't likely to walk for nothing in the summer, and you didn't have Kreider or Goodrow. Trouba likely isn't going anywhere as it would be bad business for the Rags to move him so soon.

I'm high on Kakko/Laf - I think K'andre will be special, Fox is great (and about to get paid for it) ... but even with 13m in cap space, when you consider that Fox is probably going to get 8-9, Zib will be looking for a 3-4m raise, Kakko is due for his bridge, Laf will be 1yr from bridge ... there won't be a lot of money around, and what happens if your young wingers don't want a bridge and want a 7/8yr?

Best bet for the Rags at this point is to all-in on Eichel and try to win while you have a good pool of ELC players.
In a way, this is saying the Rangers window is closed (if not already) by next years TDL due to future cap issues AND the Devils will be actual cup contenders with a canyon of cap space by 2023?

Reactions: bl02

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Who are the players that will lead each team’s future?

Centre? Jersey might be better
D? Jersey
Goal? Rangers
Wing? Rangers
How is Jersey’s defense better in any way? Going forward and now it’s Rangers not even close.

Fox, Trouba, Miller, Lindgren, Lundkvist, Schneider, Jones, Robertson, Reunanen

vs

Hamilton, Smith, Hughes, Severson, Walsh, Bahl, Vukojevic, Misyul.

Best defenseman and depth goes to the Rangers

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Just want to see some opinions. As a devils fan, I’m really optimistic about the teams future and want to see how others think we line up with our rivals say 3-5 years from now.
Neither because their ownerships are too deep in the GM's business. My best bet is probably the devils though

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Rangers have several pieces that are elite now, and a couple that have the potential to be elite.

I think their future is significantly brighter than New Jersey’s, even in spite of Drurys questionable moves thus far
And then Zibanajed gets traded to edmonton for Kassian :popcorn:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
How is Jersey’s defense better in any way? Going forward and now it’s Rangers not even close.

Fox, Trouba, Miller, Lindgren, Lundkvist, Schneider, Jones, Robertson, Reunanen

vs

Hamilton, Smith, Hughes, Severson, Walsh, Bahl, Vukojevic, Misyul.

Best defenseman and depth goes to the Rangers
Most people simply don’t know what the Rangers have in players like Lundkvist, Schneider, and Robertson. Those guys weren’t even mentioned in several posts about the Rangers core defense moving forward, which tells you all you need to know. Then you have a player like Jones who just a couple of years ago would have been a prospect all Ranger fans would slobber over and he’s a literal throw in for most right now. The depth is silly and it causes the quality to be overlooked.

You also need to consider that, on this board, there were many people who were claiming they wouldn’t trade Ty Smith for Adam Fox straight up just six months ago. You could probably get a couple of people to say that even today, claiming contract or some other nonsense.

The Rangers present and near future is for sure brighter than NJD. 5+ years from now that might change but a lot will happen between now and then.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I like the Devils future better. I thought the Rangers were doing a good rebuild but then made a bunch of moves this off season that somewhat derailed the rebuild.

DontLaughAtThat

Apr 12, 2017
Rangers currently have the Devils beat in every area except center. The problem for NYR is that center is the most important position on the ice, and they have very few prospects down the middle. Zibanejad and Strome are also UFAs next season.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

As a side note: If I am the GM of the Devils, I am calling Vancouver and asking what it takes to get Q.H to NJ ... one of Mercer/Holtz, one of Bratt/Zacha, a first round pick and maybe something small ... imagine.

Graves/Hamilton
Q.Hughes/Smith
L.Hughes/X

Could end up being one of the best defensive corps in the league in a couple of years

Sure and just go ahead and add Quinn Hughes to the Rangers and they have one of the best defensive corps too

DontLaughAtThat

Apr 12, 2017
I like the Devils future better. I thought the Rangers were doing a good rebuild but then made a bunch of moves this off season that somewhat derailed the rebuild.

Yall gotta stop with this belief that the rebuild is screwed because of this offseason. I don't like what Drury has done and the cap situation is going to be fukt, but literally all of the core pieces of the rebuild are still in NY...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad