Devils or Rangers: Who has the better future?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Where would they be without winning the lotto twice (now and going forward)? Especially if they grab yet ANOTHER lias type bust instead which isn't crazy to think. Though you'd HOPE they'd have made a sensible, on the board pick that's currently progressing nicely

Unless it's defense though, we haven't exactly been knocking in home runs

Actually we had three lotto wins. Fox had nothing to do with gortons skill.

I agree Gorton was horribly overrated and he just had an insanely easy job by having a huge head start on his rebuild by being able to liquidate a playoff caliber roster with some fairly big names and his job was made even easier by having a 1st overall pick fall into his lap from the heavens as well as two of the best players in the league at their positions force their way to NY.

Right now the McDonagh trade is also a significant lemish on his record however that might be reconsidered if Lundkvist becomes the player he is projected to be but either way the way Gorton handled the trade was atrocious and he boxed himself into a crap return by not trading him immediately after Stepan but instead signing Shattenkirk which made no sense whatsoever.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
lol how is this still going? both teams are in really good shape and we're going to f*** each other up 8 times a year

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I agree Gorton was horribly overrated and he just had an insanely easy job by having a huge head start on his rebuild by being able to liquidate a playoff caliber roster with some fairly big names and his job was made even easier by having a 1st overall pick fall into his lap from the heavens as well as two of the best players in the league at their positions force their way to NY.

Right now the McDonagh trade is also a significant lemish on his record however that might be reconsidered if Lundkvist becomes the player he is projected to be but either way the way Gorton handled the trade was atrocious and he boxed himself into a crap return by not trading him immediately after Stepan but instead signing Shattenkirk which made no sense whatsoever.
Yea and it isn't hindsight either, I constantly had to defend my criticisms of him from folks who saw him as perfect. Years of me pointing out the significant flaws and having the same 4 or 5 guys pretending like any criticism is impatience

It's nice to be right but there's no winners in it bc they're out a job and we're all out the MUCH more promising future we should currently have bc thank GOD we won basically three lottos. Like it's really promising right now. But man it could have been a LOT more promising

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017

What?

the McDonagh trade brought Lundkvist (Draft pick that they used from TB). Him alone might show to be well worth the trade. The same as when the Rangers traded Gomez for McDonaugh.

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
Rangers are worse at C, better everywhere else.
It's Rangers and it will be more clear that we're the new cream of the crop in the Metro when the center situation is more clear.
Zibanejad for all his warts is over a PPG in his NYR career and hit the 40 goal mark and led the NHL in GPG. That's better than anything Barzal, Hughes, or Hischier ever did in this league. The guy is a top 10 Center in the league. If Chytil takes the 2C spot from Strome this season, it's game over for the Metro.

Defense- Rangers gave the depth and the blue chip prospects coming in. Reigning Norris winner on the team.

Goalie- Shesterkin is better than Blackwood.

Forwards- Closer than Defense- but still advantage Rangers- Zib, Panarin, Kakko, Lafreniere, Kravtsov- All studs

Center- Advantage Devils and arguably the most important position.

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
Rangers are worse at C, better everywhere else.
It's Rangers and it will be more clear that we're the new cream of the crop in the Metro when the center situation is more clear.
Zibanejad for all his warts is over a PPG in his NYR career and hit the 40 goal mark and led the NHL in GPG. That's better than anything Barzal, Hughes, or Hischier ever did in this league. The guy is a top 10 Center in the league. If Chytil takes the 2C spot from Strome this season, it's game over for the Metro.

Lol.

If frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their asses when they hop etc.

Reactions: Auto Pilot

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Rangers have no center prospects worth a damn that can carry them in the future. They’re currently trying to contend now because their key guys are in their primes and close to exiting it. Weird timelines in their roster atm, Dolan is gonna screw their future up so badly.

UseTheBoards

Aug 13, 2021
www.si.com
Rangers have no center prospects worth a damn that can carry them in the future. They’re currently trying to contend now because their key guys are in their primes and close to exiting it. Weird timelines in their roster atm, Dolan is gonna screw their future up so badly.
I was shocked when they took a winger with their first pick this year. They already have KK, AL, AP on the wings... They could have grabbed themselves a second line centre for the long term there. Now they want to trade for Eichel to fix centre... like wtf?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think this is overblown. Zibenejad is better than Hischier and Hughes by a fair margin, and there is a good chance neither reach his level of play.

Zibenejad has 95 goals and 104 assists for 199 points in his last 195 games as a Ranger. Centers like that don't grow on trees.

Strome has also done very well as a 2C. Strome has 108 points in his last 126 games as a Ranger. Yes, playing with Panarin helps but he proved this past season he didn't need him.

How weak the Rangers are down the middle is extremely overblown. Then they have Chytil waiting to take his next step. He has the tools just needs to put it together.

The Rangers don't have a "marquee" name at center, but their centers produce just as well.

And I'm fairly high on both Hischier and Hughes [I think both will be very good, Hischier just needs to stay healthy] but I don't agree with their "weakness" everyone sees.

Zibby is a stud. Chytil can still be really good. But if I'm not mistaken, a lot of Rangers fans want Strome replaced with more of a two-way center. Having offensive prowess down the middle is great, but defensive responsibility is also important.

Henriksson looked pretty legit a couple years ago, but it seems his development hasnt exactly gone as forecasted. Barron is decent.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
What talent has been lost for grinders? Buchnevich wasn't traded to make room for Goodrow or Reaves, how many times does this have to be stated so people understand it? It was made to promote Kakko and Kravtsov, this has been stated by the GM even.

And if you are referring to talent as in Howden, Di Giuseppe and Blackwell, I don't know what to tell you.
I mean.. you are free to think that, but if a GM is trading his 2nd best winger to make room for a kid who has 20 NHL games and no stellar performances, then your GM is more dumb than I originally thought

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Welp, this thread is turning out exactly as one would expect.

In reality, the most accurate answer is probably “too close to call” right now.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I mean.. you are free to think that, but if a GM is trading his 2nd best winger to make room for a kid who has 20 NHL games and no stellar performances, then your GM is more dumb than I originally thought
It remains to be seen how dumb the decision was, but the ceiling for Kakko and Kravtsov is higher than it is for Buch. It also kicks the can down the road of a big contract he would've received this year (and did in St.Louis).

Glad you only tangled on Buchnevich as well. Care to elaborate what other talent the Rangers have gotten rid of while destroying the rebuild?

UseTheBoards

Aug 13, 2021
www.si.com
Welp, this thread is turning out exactly as one would expect.

In reality, the most accurate answer is probably “too close to call” right now.
New Jersey made good decisions this summer. New York made a series of laughable decisions. Jersey has pulled ahead in this race, and it's not close at the moment.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
This thing is still going?? It's starting to look a little like a "My dad can beat up your dad" fight in the schoolyard

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
New Jersey made good decisions this summer. New York made a series of laughable decisions. Jersey has pulled ahead in this race, and it's not close at the moment.

So the Devils are now doing the "July Stanley Cup Champions" thing they always said about Rangers fans whenever we made a big signing?

Reactions: bl02

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
It remains to be seen how dumb the decision was, but the ceiling for Kakko and Kravtsov is higher than it is for Buch. It also kicks the can down the road of a big contract he would've received this year (and did in St.Louis).

Glad you only tangled on Buchnevich as well. Care to elaborate what other talent the Rangers have gotten rid of while destroying the rebuild?
Well first of all, I very much doubt Kravtsov ever hits a level Buchnevich does. But thats just my personal opinion on their ceilings and is yet to be seen (though for a team competing now, giving up near 65-70pt production for 25pt production is always questionable)

Second off, Idk why youre adding accentuated terminology such as 'destroyed rebuild' when I never said anything along those lines.

third, you missing out on talent is eauivalent to choosing the talent you take over the ones you dont. Not acquiring any top-6 or top-4 pieces, but instead all grinders and 13th/7th men. You moved out cap space (Buchnevich) to use none of it on incoming talent. And you also left (now) two glaring holes open for players who have yet to prove they can fill it (Chytil and Kravtsov) when numerous options were out there (like in the draft, where you took a winger)

The Rangers did not improve this offseason, yet are trying to win a Cup during Panarin's contract. Does that make much sense to you?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Well first of all, I very much doubt Kravtsov ever hits a level Buchnevich does. But thats just my personal opinion on their ceilings and is yet to be seen (though for a team competing now, giving up near 65-70pt production for 25pt production is always questionable)

Second off, Idk why youre adding accentuated terminology such as 'destroyed rebuild' when I never said anything along those lines.

third, you missing out on talent is eauivalent to choosing the talent you take over the ones you dont. Not acquiring any top-6 or top-4 pieces, but instead all grinders and 13th/7th men. You moved out cap space (Buchnevich) to use none of it on incoming talent. And you also left (now) two glaring holes open for players who have yet to prove they can fill it (Chytil and Kravtsov) when numerous options were out there (like in the draft, where you took a winger)

The Rangers did not improve this offseason, yet are trying to win a Cup during Panarin's contract. Does that make much sense to you?
The Rangers don't have a problem with scoring and top-6 talent, they are #8 in GF for the last two seasons. Taking out one Buchnevich shouldn't make that much of a dent, especially when you are expecting guys like Laf, Kakko and Kravtsov to finaly take off.

The problem for the Rangers has been the bottom 6, and that has been improved. Useless plugs like Howden and Di Giuseppe, have been replaced by Blais and Goodrow. D-corps is getting one of the best European rookies in, as in Lundkvist. Goaltending remains the same, which shouldn't be an issue. Most important of all, David Quinn has been replaced with Gallant. I fail to see how the Rangers have not improved during the offseason.

Reactions: bl02

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’m a huge Devils fan since and have been for close to 30 years.
That being said I think on paper the Rags have more high end talent. A lot is up in the air as too many prospects have yet to prove how good they are for both teams. Rangers have more prospects that “should” be good but who knows. Also who knows who the better constructed “team” is. Having the best D and LW in the game currently wanting to only play for your team kinda helps.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad