GDT: Devils @ Maple Leafs, 7:30 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
My biggest wtf of this game was from Deb in the pregame show. After the Tim Horton segment they showed she said

"just a sad irony that a man known for his toughness was taken away all too soon to a tragic car accident"

He was driving drunk in his sports car with no seat belt on, flipped the car a few times and was ejected at some point and ended up over 100 feet away from the car. What a dumb comment by Deb on this one. Doesn't matter how tough you are when you do something as stupid as that.

Deb's segments are typically brutal, but last night was top 5 of the season. I get that Horton was a great player but how many Devils fans were even alive or old enough to remember him playing? No one under 55 remembers watching him. Then when you factor in his stupidity in driving drunk and you're scratching your head at why Deb and the team was pushing this so hard. He didn't even play for the Devils.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I've seen this written a few times. Why do people consider Danis to have been so bad? He had a 2.05 GAA/0.923 sv% statline in 09/10.

Yeah he was pretty bad in the two games last season but who cares about that team.

Because he was.

He started 6 games that year. Nevermind how bad he was in the other years and with this Isles. He was good for Albany for a year or two, but that was his ceiling.

My biggest wtf of this game was from Deb in the pregame show. After the Tim Horton segment they showed she said

"just a sad irony that a man known for his toughness was taken away all too soon to a tragic car accident"

He was driving drunk in his sports car with no seat belt on, flipped the car a few times and was ejected at some point and ended up over 100 feet away from the car. What a dumb comment by Deb on this one. Doesn't matter how tough you are when you do something as stupid as that.

That requires homework. I'd expect Shannon Hogan to say something similar, but I don't even think she's 30 yet. Deb's been covering the NHL for at least 20 years. That's inexcusable.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Deb's segments are typically brutal, but last night was top 5 of the season. I get that Horton was a great player but how many Devils fans were even alive or old enough to remember him playing? No one under 55 remembers watching him. Then when you factor in his stupidity in driving drunk and you're scratching your head at why Deb and the team was pushing this so hard. He didn't even play for the Devil. s.

Deb grades an F this season.
She's just awful and she must have some connection within msg network.

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
Deb grades an F this season.
She's just awful and she must have some connection within msg network.

I know this is seriously just *****ing for the sake of *****ing but was there really nothing else for them to dedicate 5 minutes to? I didn't know much about Horton other than he was a great d-man and when Deb teased the segment by saying he was "tragically lost too soon" I assumed he died of an incurable illness. I later come to find out he just got hammered and flipped his car.

On a more serious note I thought the team played hard against the Leafs. They could have easily laid down coming out for the 3rd but they didn't. The young guys are already fun to watch

Hellraiser

Jun 12, 2015
New Jersey
Was listening on the leafs radio broadcast from the NHL website (forgot to change it to WFAN) and one of the guys wouldn't stop trashing the Devils before the game on how we are a boring team and we have nothing to look forward to, he even went as far as saying we have no good prospects coming up either. Pretty much that we're going to be in the basement for eternity. These guys sounded more biased than Sam Rosen and crew

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
This was by far the worst Devils-Leafs game I've attended live, just an awful performance from the team all around. This is like the one game per season I wish for at least a fun game but man was it ever terrible. There was a stretch of probably around ~10 minutes in the 2nd that I could have dozed off. Terrible hockey and it seemed like no one was giving an effort. I didn't even celebrate the goals Moore scored because they were terrible goals against a not very good backup that we should have lit up.

That was so deflating... just end the season already.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I know this is seriously just *****ing for the sake of *****ing but was there really nothing else for them to dedicate 5 minutes to? I didn't know much about Horton other than he was a great d-man and when Deb teased the segment by saying he was "tragically lost too soon" I assumed he died of an incurable illness. I later come to find out he just got hammered and flipped his car.

On a more serious note I thought the team played hard against the Leafs. They could have easily laid down coming out for the 3rd but they didn't. The young guys are already fun to watch

I agree, actually the Joe Sakic one was even worse to me. Cause I really want to see him scoring and raising the cup against us in 01. We really needed to be reminded of that, especially after missing the playoffs 5 straight years. I think they are just lazy and tone deaf and using these nhl top 100 players videos is an easy excuse for them to not do anything else.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Deb's segments are typically brutal, but last night was top 5 of the season. I get that Horton was a great player but how many Devils fans were even alive or old enough to remember him playing? No one under 55 remembers watching him. Then when you factor in his stupidity in driving drunk and you're scratching your head at why Deb and the team was pushing this so hard. He didn't even play for the Devils.

I'm still confused as to why they did that.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
I've seen this written a few times. Why do people consider Danis to have been so bad? He had a 2.05 GAA/0.923 sv% statline in 09/10.

Yeah he was pretty bad in the two games last season but who cares about that team.

Because he was literally atrocious. He made every save an adventure and if the game went to the shootout you just turned it off. He was deked out of his jock strap on almost every shootout attempt he faced. Thank god he only had to start 6 games that year.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

I'll never forget when it was Hockey Fight Cancer Night and between periods she asked Jon Merrill "so your grandpa died from cancer, what was that like for you?"

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Haha my eyes have gotten bad in the last few years. I read 55 as 35 and thought you said ''No one under 35 remember watching him'' and was gonna say ''Actually, no one under 43 remembers watching him, as he died 43 years ago in 1974''

I'm not old enough to remember him, I was born after he died, but not too long after.

The 68 year old fan I know, has described him as pretty much a defensive defenseman. He scored 500+ points but back in the 50's/60's/70's, that was nothing. Not that every defensive defenseman is useless, as we all know with Scott Stevens (who was not a one way defensive defenseman during the first half of his career). The scouting report I've got is that he was better than say Ben Lovejoy (who isn't these days?) but not Scott Stevens caliber. Hockey historians may try and argue that though.

It was a very random segment though, but I guess it's better than talking about Lou and the Leafs 4958495849 times. The intermission reports when Johnny Mac and Kirk Muller were coaching the Canes were always brutal. We'd have to hear about them our entire broadcast, even though they weren't part of our organization then. Hitler's mustache Dave Lewis too.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Deb is just horrible at her job.
She needs to go

She's whatever.

I'm not that bothered by her or the broadcast crew, I'd rather work on fixing this on-ice product, which is not nearly adequate. When the day comes that our broadcast team is the biggest impediment and nuisance in the organization, we'll be doing more than fine.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This was by far the worst Devils-Leafs game I've attended live, just an awful performance from the team all around. This is like the one game per season I wish for at least a fun game but man was it ever terrible. There was a stretch of probably around ~10 minutes in the 2nd that I could have dozed off. Terrible hockey and it seemed like no one was giving an effort. I didn't even celebrate the goals Moore scored because they were terrible goals against a not very good backup that we should have lit up.

My condolences that you had to pay to see that one.

Backuphaney (or whatever that guy's name is, that's what it sounded like they were calling him) was awful. We didn't really play well enough to light him up, but I also don't think he played well enough to only allow 2 goals on 28 shots.

The first goal scored by Moore was the lousiest and easiest goal we've scored this season. It was the easiest and most mind numbingly soft goal the Devils have scored since Matteau's goal in December of 2015.

And if he faced 30 shots, I think he probably allowed a round on at least 25 of them. Two of the non-rebounds being our two goals. That was the perfect example of non-rebound control creating more shots to save. That dude was awful, looked like he hadn't played a game in 5 months. Chris Terreri had better rebound control than that back in 2000-2001 when not playing for 2 months.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

Worst game ever and now your much poorer. Those tickets had to cost an arm and a leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad