GDT: Devils @ Maple Leafs - 7:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I love it. They talked about this on the Devils Daily. Each guy, Hughes, Hischier and Bratt, can carry a line, so split them up and force Toronto to figure out how to defend it. Elevates the 2nd tier guys like Tatar, Mercer, Rango, and Zetterlund, and potentially fixes the issues with the third line.
You can always give Jack the odd shift for Boqvist to get him some minutes with Bratt too.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

smith speaks so freakin well

He really does, if only his play matched that. But as much as I, and others, would like Bahl in instead I think it's wrong to overlook the impact Smith may have off the ice as well.

Whether that's in the locker room or on the bench, having a guy like that to be a good leader can be invaluable, especially to a young team. I do still want Bahl to get in but who I am to argue with results.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I agree with that’s it’s not a major issue where if the lines are not clicking , Ruff will make adjustments and the initial lines are not concrete.
Also, specifically with Bratt on the “third” line , he wasn’t really going as good as he can the last couple games . I do not see any harm with trying this out for a few shifts to see if he starts playinghis beastmode level game. If we get all three of Hughes Nico Bratt at their best ? Look the F out

Reactions: glenwo2

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I feel like this might be the night they finally drop one. And I'm ok with it. But Toronto is gettable. We just can't have the same start we did against the Habs. Toronto will capitalize on those chances.

When we finally do lose I can't wait for everyone that has crawled into the woodwork to crawl back out and say "They stink, I told you so!"

Zero shame in finally dropping a game at this point, but I do agree this is a winnable game.

We should be able to score of them, question will be how well we limit their top lines chances the other way

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
If the lines aren't working, they will mix them up, so I have no issues with them starting them like this.

It almost sounds like we are back in another era of interchangeable parts. Each line has a play driver, and we can mix and match the other guys as needed. The only line that always stays together is the BMW line, like it's the new Crash line.

I don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but it's an exciting concept to me that there's enough speed and skill up and down the forward lines to be able to do that.

Reactions: glenwo2 and bossram

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i think it's crazy that our PDO is pretty even. i think shot volume plays into effect honestly.

we're 15th in shot %age (10.1%), but 3rd in shot volume (only behind FLA/LAK). biggest diff is what we do defensively - from sheer volume, our HDCA is 3rd best in the league, only behind VGK and CAR
1668709954955.png

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
i think it's crazy that our PDO is pretty even. i think shot volume plays into effect honestly.

we're 15th in shot %age (10.1%), but 3rd in shot volume (only behind FLA/LAK). biggest diff is what we do defensively - from sheer volume, our HDCA is 3rd best in the league, only behind VGK and CAR
View attachment 609045

Save percentage factors into PDO too, right? We don't give up a lot of shots which lowers the save percentage of the goalies.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
The players MUST feel way better about themselves and their game when there are probably 10x amount of media in the room before and after games lol. The league Amd media will HAVE to give us more credit as we show people how good they are.
I love how Smith said they “take what’s given” to them.
Previously , it seemed like we just tried to do the same thing and play speciifc way regardless .
But now ,we habe the ability And willimgness to adjust.
Its good to hear that the seem to be all over what they need to work on (first period / good starts) and acknowledge and address what needs work and it’s an on-going process Amd need to improve every game.

View attachment 609045
I really wish I knew what the actual hell what you and these stats are saying lol.

Reactions: theoptimist

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
The players MUST feel way better about themselves and their game when there are probably 10x amount of media in the room before and after games lol. The league Amd media will HAVE to give us more credit as we show people how good they are.
I love how Smith said they “take what’s given” to them.
Previously , it seemed like we just tried to do the same thing and play speciifc way regardless .
But now ,we habe the ability And willimgness to adjust.
Its good to hear that the seem to be all over what they need to work on (first period / good starts) and acknowledge and address what needs work and it’s an on-going process Amd need to improve every game.

I really wish I knew what the actual hell what you and these stats are saying lol.
PDO is a stats measure of luck - we're flat, so we're not getting lucky with our shots

we're average in the league in shooting %age, so we're not unsustainable. The reason we do so well? we shoot a shitton, and prevent super dangerous high scoring chances

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
He really does, if only his play matched that. But as much as I, and others, would like Bahl in instead I think it's wrong to overlook the impact Smith may have off the ice as well.

Whether that's in the locker room or on the bench, having a guy like that to be a good leader can be invaluable, especially to a young team. I do still want Bahl to get in but who I am to argue with results.
Very interesting comments made. One I found interesting - Ruff saying that they have adjusted their game style to help out their goaltending. And now that they are getting big saves , they are able to play how they want moreso.
In the past , it definitely effected how they played and absolultely hindered how they wanted to play.
Now with better goaltending and better depth ,it sounds like now they can finally play the way they have wanted to all along.
Also,its like they read these forums or read our minds where they address all the concerns we talk about lol. They talked about getting get starts and needing to improce still , not to try to be too fancy Amd keep it simple at times . To try to see what the other team gives you and exploit that .Focus in what the other teams strengths are and take that away from them. Ruff said a part about the Leafs have 3-4 players that can change the game individually.
All good things that show they are dialed in Amd know what it takes to win

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
PDO is a stats measure of luck - we're flat, so we're not getting lucky with our shots

we're average in the league in shooting %age, so we're not unsustainable. The reason we do so well? we shoot a shitton, and prevent super dangerous high scoring chances
Awesome , thank you !

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I love it. They talked about this on the Devils Daily. Each guy, Hughes, Hischier and Bratt, can carry a line, so split them up and force Toronto to figure out how to defend it. Elevates the 2nd tier guys like Tatar, Mercer, Rango, and Zetterlund, and potentially fixes the issues with the third line.
My guess is Toronto outs it’s defensive resources into stopping Hughes and Hischier. If there was ever a game for Bratt to show the NHL how good he really is, this sounds like an excellent opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad