Pre-Game Talk: Devils (M2) vs. Canes (M1), ECSF.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It looks more than preparation. It looks like they are up against a team who is nearly as fast but bigger, stronger and willing to throw the body whenever they can. I don't think our top 9 has a solution for that.

Canes best rush defense in the league and our A game is off the rush.

We just keep skating into their teeth and getting wrecked by their forecheck.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
I think Fitz has molded the defense....watch out for the offense...Bratt is outta here....Bertuzzi welcome....etc

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I still firmly believe we can and will win this series.

Game 1 was always going to be tough dealing with the emotional and physical hangover of Game 7 while the Canes were fully rested.

Was made all the worse with no Timo and the refs being blind morons
How you feeling still ?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
How you feeling still ?

Less confident, but I still believe. Series isn't over until we lose a home game

This team seems to need to learn on the fly, I didn't like how long it took against the Rags but they learned.

Taking too long now, but right now it's one game at a time with the goal of protecting home ice.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm less confident we can come back against this team because they're a worse matchup for us than the Rangers. Against the Rangers we were clearly faster and outside of Fox their defense wasn't very good at moving the puck. Carolina is way better at shutting down our rush game.

That being said, Andersen isn't Shesterkin, so I do think if we can actually challenge him more we can score on him. We just need to find a way to create when the Canes shut down our rush game like they have. It won't be easy, but this team has found a way all season, so I'm not throwing in the towel yet.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I'm less confident we can come back against this team because they're a worse matchup for us than the Rangers. Against the Rangers we were clearly faster and outside of Fox their defense wasn't very good at moving the puck. Carolina is way better at shutting down our rush game.

That being said, Andersen isn't Shesterkin, so I do think if we can actually challenge him more we can score on him. We just need to find a way to create when the Canes shut down our rush game like they have. It won't be easy, but this team has found a way all season, so I'm not throwing in the towel yet.
It's easy for us to learn how to clunter other teams breakouts and whatnot. Our forwards getting outworked in the offensive zone , especially infront of the Hurricanes net is something I can't really see them fix in 2 days. I can't even remember the last time we scored a tip in goal. Maybe Haula in game 2 vs the Rags.

Our defense also went from being the best.in the league at scoring to only having scored 2 goals all playoffs. Carolina has taken away their time and space in the offensive zone. The shot quality from the blueline isn't there. But when you know you have a team that won't stand infront of the other teams goalie than those somewhat harmless shots are never going to find a way in.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
I thought it would be a piece of cake to make the drive. If I knew I would've flown. Driving through Baltimore and DC is pure hell.
You should have taken US 301 from near Wilmington to north of Richmond, or at least driven around the east side of the Baltimore Beltway and picked up US 301 west of Annapolis (via I-97 and MD 3).

I live in the DC area, I can tell you all about the traffic on I-95. It is particularly awful between a little south of the DC Beltway and Fredericksburg.

EDIT: I assume you'll be heading back to New Jersey today. Just because it is the weekend does NOT mean I-95 will be OK between Fredericksburg and DC. (Between DC and Baltimore should be OK.) Take a route that avoids I-95 in northern Virginia, like the route I mentioned above or, depending on where you drove from in New Jersey, a further west route through central Virginia that eventually allows you connect up with Interstate 81 and then Interstate 78 east of Harrisburg.

Also, if you attended Game 1 and/or Game 2, my condolences. I was at Game 2 myself last night (after driving down from the DC area Friday late morning/early to mid-afternoon) and that was awful enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You should have taken US 301 from near Wilmington to north of Richmond, or at least driven around the east side of the Baltimore Beltway and picked up US 301 west of Annapolis (via I-97 and MD 3).

I live in the DC area, I can tell you all about the traffic on I-95. It is particularly awful from a little south of the DC Beltway and Fredericksburg.
On the way home I took secondary roads to Charlottesville then took RT 81 back to avoid DC. It added another hour or so to my drive but it was so much more pleasant. Driving along the Blue Ridge for an extra hour is a million times worth it :)

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
On the way home I took secondary roads to Charlottesville then took RT 81 back to avoid DC. It added another hour or so to my drive but it was so much more pleasant. Driving along the Blue Ridge for an extra hour is a million times worth it :)
Good to hear, and a smart move. (I edited my previous post to give some additional advice, and going through central Virginia and eventually connect with Interstate 81 was one of my recommended options.)

I attended Game 2 myself last night, so I can relate to going to an absolute stink bomb of a road playoff game. :(

captainscott12

Jul 13, 2022
I think Fitz has molded the defense....watch out for the offense...Bratt is outta here....Bertuzzi welcome....etc
Yeah step one get a team to get in playoffs. Step two. See who’s game is built for playoffs. Will see if fits sticks w this group or tweaks it. I can tell you the hamilton contract is gonna be bad soon. Yes he had a great season and was a big part of the success. But there is a reason the man has been on 4 or 5 teams. He is a liability and if his offense starts to dwindle look out. Anyway the teams looks like it’s toast. You have to be at least competitive and look for NHL

I still fully believe in this team, the canes are just a machine and we’ve yet to make any recognizable adjustments.
I have no faith. I did against the rangers because you could see it was just the pp this is different. I will be happy not to get swept to be honest.

Reactions: guitarguyvic

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Ok I’ve put out plenty of criticism of the team so far in this series. Time for some excuse making.

It’s f***ed up that this team had to travel down to Carolina to play game 1 immediately with no extra day of rest or practice after an emotionally draining seven game series against the f***ing rangers. They have had zero time to reset, and now they’re traveling back having to play a third game in less than 48 hours with no rest/practice time yet again after being completely outclassed in these first two games.

This team has proven resilient all year, but it’s asking quite a bit to expect them to bounce back when they are so badly in need of making major adjustments in this series but have zero time to identify those adjustments and put them to practice. I don’t have a lot of faith that the team is gonna be able to pull off a turnaround under these circumstances.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Ok I’ve put out plenty of criticism of the team so far in this series. Time for some excuse making.

It’s f***ed up that this team had to travel down to Carolina to play game 1 immediately with no extra day of rest or practice after an emotionally draining seven game series against the f***ing rangers. They have had zero time to reset, and now they’re traveling back having to play a third game in less than 48 hours with no rest/practice time yet again after being completely outclassed in these first two games.

This team has proven resilient all year, but it’s asking quite a bit to expect them to bounce back when they are so badly in need of making major adjustments in this series but have zero time to identify those adjustments and put them to practice. I don’t have a lot of faith that the team is gonna be able to pull off a turnaround under these circumstances.
They're still learning, for example now they know how important it is to bury a team in six games when you got them on the ropes. You need to get end a series ASAP when you got the shot. And they will.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
They're still learning, for example now they know how important it is to bury a team in six games when you got them on the ropes. You need to get end a series ASAP when you got the shot. And they will.
I get that but how often are teams really forced to start a new series on one day’s rest, and then have to play out the entirety of that next round with no more than one day off between every game (including an afternoon tilt!)?? It’s ridiculous that the league couldn’t find even one extra day off in there. This is a rare circumstance and an extremely difficult one, particularly for a team like ours that’s new to the playoff intensity.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I get that but how often are teams really forced to start a new series on one day’s rest, and then have to play out the entirety of that next round with no more than one day off between every game (including an afternoon tilt!)?? It’s ridiculous that the league couldn’t find even one extra day off in there. This is a rare circumstance and an extremely difficult one, particularly for a team like ours that’s new to the playoff intensity.
Although selfishly I liked the fact that our postseason started Tuesday-Thursday instead of Monday-Wednesday for the team itself it didn't exactly help matters in the long run, especially when they had the extra day off to get another Saturday game for TV purposes and thus had the last series of the first round.

But yes if they didn't no-show the first two games to begin with, maybe they could have gotten it over in at least six games and helped themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad