Pre-Game Talk: Devils (M2) vs. Canes (M1), ECSF.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This is annoying. I wanted to bitch about this even before game 1, this isn't only because we're down 2 games to 0. The Panthers got shafted too, though they also got a refund or some sorts with TWO different times of TWO whole days between games in their series.

The other 3 series going on right now have at least one break of two whole days without a game. We do not.

There's no reason why the Panthers/Leafs couldn't have started Wednesday, while we started on Thursday. That way the Panthers didn't have to play less than 48 hours after their game 7 and neither did we.

It makes very little sense that their game 7 if neccessary is one night after our game 7 if necessary, despite their series starting the night before ours.

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
Ok I’ve put out plenty of criticism of the team so far in this series. Time for some excuse making.

It’s f***ed up that this team had to travel down to Carolina to play game 1 immediately with no extra day of rest or practice after an emotionally draining seven game series against the f***ing rangers. They have had zero time to reset, and now they’re traveling back having to play a third game in less than 48 hours with no rest/practice time yet again after being completely outclassed in these first two games.

This team has proven resilient all year, but it’s asking quite a bit to expect them to bounce back when they are so badly in need of making major adjustments in this series but have zero time to identify those adjustments and put them to practice. I don’t have a lot of faith that the team is gonna be able to pull off a turnaround under these circumstances.
Bettman

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Incharge1976

Mar 4, 2011
This is annoying. I wanted to bitch about this even before game 1, this isn't only because we're down 2 games to 0. The Panthers got shafted too, though they also got a refund or some sorts with TWO different times of TWO whole days between games in their series.

The other 3 series going on right now have at least one break of two whole days without a game. We do not.

There's no reason why the Panthers/Leafs couldn't have started Wednesday, while we started on Thursday. That way the Panthers didn't have to play less than 48 hours after their game 7 and neither did we.

It makes very little sense that their game 7 if neccessary is one night after our game 7 if necessary, despite their series starting the night before ours.

Bet it has something to do with the Rangers and Knicks. They probably scheduled it out ahead of time because the Knicks are in the playoffs and they needed them to have a certain schedule.

TF1970

May 9, 2021
At the very least, it will be nice to see Luke get his opportunity to experience the skyrocketed intensity of playoff hockey. And the few shifts I did see Jack with Meier before I shut it off, I thought they seemed to maybe show some ability to read off one another, which looking at the long term if Meier extends, would be huge if those two can find production and chemistry together.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I won’t be surprised if it’s Vitek instead of Schmid in game 3. Maybe Ruff has already said, idk. But Vanacek had a hell of a game against them last time we got them in Newark.

Should be an intense game with our playoffs more or less on the line.
I expect Vanecek after how the 2nd period ended last game.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I still think Schmid gets the game tomorrow. Though if it’s Vanacek then that’s fine. Yeah he hasn’t looked great but we were brutal in the first two rangers games and he came in to a no win situation the last two vs the Canes. That was an extremely difficult situation for him to be in. If I’m Lindy I go with Schmid tomorrow and then VV if we’re down 3-0. Gotta change something up at that point.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It should be Schmid again, but I expect it'll be Vanecek and that could prove to be costly.,

I would wait until game 4 to deviate. Vitek did not look good in relief in either game, nor against the Rangers.

I still think Schmid gets the game tomorrow. Though if it’s Vanacek then that’s fine. Yeah he hasn’t looked great but we were brutal in the first two rangers games and he came in to a no win situation the last two vs the Canes. That was an extremely difficult situation for him to be in. If I’m Lindy I go with Schmid tomorrow and then VV if we’re down 3-0. Gotta change something up at that point.
Pretty much where I'm at. Give Akira one more try tomorrow while we're still alive.

If we lose tomorrow, we're not still alive, so it doesn't matter if we put Blackwood or Nico Daws in for game 4.

I think it will be Vitek tomorrow, judging by the tone Ruff used when asked if he's a possibility for tomorrow.

If I read his body language and tone correctly, it's gonna be Vitek.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'd go with Akira again, but I can't really be upset if they go with the Vitek either given we've been blown out twice in a row, even if it wasn't Akira's fault.

TF1970

May 9, 2021
I'd go with Akira again, but I can't really be upset if they go with the Vitek either given we've been blown out twice in a row, even if it wasn't Akira's fault.
Pretty much my feeling. Vanacek has looked terrible in basically every single game he’s been in for, whether it was the first two he started or the relief appearances since. So that’s somewhat unsettling. But again, I can’t really argue with making a change given the first two results in this series.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
So I was taking a look at natstattrick and we are sporting a save percentage of .680 on high danger chances. No other team left is below is .750.

We also are rocking a 4.66 shooting percentage at 5 on 5.

Pretty terrible, no wonder we are getting blown out when we lose.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Sucks ufc is at prudential tonight, they go super late and the game is early tomorrow so the ice is gonna be shit.

• Wow
Reactions: NJDevs26

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Bet it has something to do with the Rangers and Knicks. They probably scheduled it out ahead of time because the Knicks are in the playoffs and they needed them to have a certain schedule.

A bit. It has to do with Boston and the last minute switch when they got knocked out. Basically the league wants to start round 2 immediately, which meant a Tuesday start to be able give ESPN the game 1’s as they had the rights to Tuesday and Wednesday Nights. Round 2 was supposed to be ESPN gets games 1, 4, 6 and half of Game 7s while TNT got games 2, 3, 5, and the other half of game 7s.

Had Boston advanced the Bruins-Leafs would gone Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday because the Celtics already had the arena booked for We’d-Friday ect. However when the Panthers advanced that put the Panthers/Leafs series at the same time as the Heat/Knicks series. Specifically both the Panthers and Heat being home on the same days. Last year ESPN basically forced the Lightning/Panthers series to go head to head with the Heat ECF series and the Panthers loudly complained. So the league threw the Panthers a bone this year and moved games 3 and 4 away from the same days the Heat are also home so ticket holders to both don’t have to choose.

The odd schedule also likely has to do with ESPN picking the two all American teams series for their choice of game 7s.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Less than the 5 we score.
IMG_2718.jpeg

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Alot to like about this game today. Meier and Hiachier finally getting a goal each. Hughes with a 4 point game and brother Luke with a 2 point game. The team actually came out and played a physical game too ! The 3 shorthanded goals is what it is. Even with giving those up we still pretty much crushed to victory. Seems like everyone chipped in for today's win like good teams do. We just have to get the powerplay back on track and we need our goaltending to improve. I think Lindy should really think hard about who is playing in net on Tuesday. It's not really a clear cut choice. I love Vanaceck because he had a fantastic year and he seems like a great teammate but I think Schmid needs to get back in there. Right now Carolina is in a similar situation. Andersen was solid the first 2 games but we managed to light up him and Kochetkov today. Both goalies let in some bad ones. Seems like Carolina does this every year with both goalies playing. It sucks if you are Vanaceck and even worse for someone like Blackwood but Schmid helped this team out big time getting us back in the Rangers series. We're gonna need our goalie to come up big and potentially steal us a win or so if we have what it takes to win 3 more games this series.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I have to wonder if we keep with 11/7 when Graves gets back? It was definitely nice to be able to have one of Nico / Jack / McLeod on the ice for 45:25 TOI of the 50:26 5v5 mins.

Either way I'm hopeful that Hughes has taken Bahl's spot going forward.

Siegs - Hamilton
Graves - Marino
Hughes - Severson
(Bahl/Smith)

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes