Post-Game Talk: Devils lose to Jets 8-4

Goats of the Game, Now Unlimited!!!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint Beaurivage

Jersey Shore
Nov 18, 2017
Years ago trades happened every month, now trades occur late season. A lack of trading makes the league boring. Trades can also spark newborn chemistry for your team overnight. Lou Lamoriello was the best at this, in my opinion. Like Neal Broten for Corey Millen in the middle of the winter 1995.

Fitzpatrick needs to call other GMs. It might take one of our best players to get another player or two, so I have never said untouchable. That being said I really would like to hold onto Mercer and Hughes.

We also need a new coach and stronger disciplinarian next year. Let Ruff go in the offseason. He does not hold players accountable for irresponsible play and isn't know for much success. Our goal mouth is unattended every game and the slot is wide open. Opposing teams are burying shots all night from within 10'. Subban and Severson are all over the place. We look like a team that is trying to save our life every game.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm quite sure what we are seeing is the curse of Dr. John McMullen.

We shall never again be good so long as the #13 is in circulation. It needs to be destroyed and banished forever in a grand ceremony paying homage to the great builder.

A witch told me this.

Last edited:

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
It's amazing how this season is replicating last season - start off strong and then fall apart completely at the seems.

I would try to bring up some size and muscle in Foote and Okhotyuk, doubt it will change anything as coaching and the system seem to be the major flaw on this team, but what else can you do if we don't can Ruff and this coaching staff?

One thing I do know is while the Devils front office didn't expect to make the playoffs this year, the very last thing they wanted is for this young team to be out of contention early, that might be our only hope in a coaching change.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
This team has a losing culture. I dont think anyone can say theres not. Look at the longest tenuring players. Severson has been here the longest and he's been part of one successful team, one. Not even a great team, but a team that made the playoffs. Bratt, Zacha, Nico etc. have mostly been part of losing teams. Disaster teams like 19-20.

As much as this team needs better coaching or special teams, they need a cultural chance. I'm not gonna throw out names who to trade or who sucks. Adding proven guys who have been on good teams like Hamilton and Tatar (I know he needs to be better) is a good start, but it takes time to grow out the losing culture.

Everything is just bit too easy, too expected and too easy to take. Jack just signed for 8 years but he's never been part of a good Devils team. Who is he learning from? Nico? Devils have sucked most of the time Nico has been here. Is Mercer gonna learn from Jack? Holtz from Mercer? You see a pattern?

Its nice to look at our average age and have young guys playing and future is so bright and things like that, but NHL teams should not be this young and inexperienced. You should always have a supporting cast of players, look at ANA with Getzlaf, Lindholm, Fowler, Manson, Gibson etc who are all home grown talent who have been part of good Ducks teams. On top of that theres guys like Henrique and Shattenkirk.

Adding Dougie is nice and I think vets in Tatar and Bernier is the right way to do it, but its gonna take time to get rid of the culture. Experienced coach would help, but its up to the players to grow out of it and I dont think its gonna be super easy.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
After watching all of the goals against again as part of my goals against review (all 8 AGAIN! LOL), I've noticed a few things.

Didn't think Blackwood had a chance on either of the two he gave up, so I'll get him out of the way.

I didn't nail Bernier with a stoppable goal on any of goals 1-4, but goal 1 looked just like a few of the goals Blackwood has given up recently, where he is just content to stay in his net won't poke check. Just very stationary. Just hoping the guy will either miss the net or the puck will hit him or maybe one of our skaters will cut him off or even hook or slash him.

Goal 5 was a deflection, but this is the type of deflection a goalie is expected to be able to stop. When you've allowed 4 goals in the game already and the 2nd period isn't even over, you really need to make this save. It was an extremely slow deflection and it just bounced past him like a basketball. You can understand why it went and why the goalie didn't stop, but that doesn't mean you have to accept that the goalie didn't stop it.

Goal 6 was the softy of the night. Just a pathetic goal and got him a deserved hook. The only reason to not lift him after this one was if the coaches wanted to embarrass him. Ruff opted not to bring this up in his post game presser, but this was NOT a mercy pull. And there were about 5 seconds left in the period. And that was absolutely a goal where you look at it being one of the very few goals we've allowed on the PK in the last couple weeks and can blame no one but the goalie. It was a WEAK goal at best. It was really an excruciatingly bad, just mind numbingly soft goal. 5 seconds left in the period too.

When I start bitching that Blackwood has played 6 games in a row, it's probably because I forgot this game even happened from Bernier.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This team has a losing culture. I dont think anyone can say theres not. Look at the longest tenuring players. Severson has been here the longest and he's been part of one successful team, one. Not even a great team, but a team that made the playoffs. Bratt, Zacha, Nico etc. have mostly been part of losing teams. Disaster teams like 19-20.

As much as this team needs better coaching or special teams, they need a cultural chance. I'm not gonna throw out names who to trade or who sucks. Adding proven guys who have been on good teams like Hamilton and Tatar (I know he needs to be better) is a good start, but it takes time to grow out the losing culture.

Everything is just bit too easy, too expected and too easy to take. Jack just signed for 8 years but he's never been part of a good Devils team. Who is he learning from? Nico? Devils have sucked most of the time Nico has been here. Is Mercer gonna learn from Jack? Holtz from Mercer? You see a pattern?

Its nice to look at our average age and have young guys playing and future is so bright and things like that, but NHL teams should not be this young and inexperienced. You should always have a supporting cast of players, look at ANA with Getzlaf, Lindholm, Fowler, Manson, Gibson etc who are all home grown talent who have been part of good Ducks teams. On top of that theres guys like Henrique and Shattenkirk.

Adding Dougie is nice and I think vets in Tatar and Bernier is the right way to do it, but its gonna take time to get rid of the culture. Experienced coach would help, but its up to the players to grow out of it and I dont think its gonna be super easy.

those Anaheim vets you are naming are hardly supporting cast. They are all very good players. Look at the years they are having. If NJ had good vets they’d be good. The problem is they have Dr Evil Graves and then…Subban. They don’t have vets to carry the load. Novak has been very meh. I agree that a veteran support system would make a difference but it’s unlikely you can trade for one that quickly and what are you giving up being realistic and assuming you are acquiring at least three difference makers since one or two isn’t going to change things enough short of a miracle.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I'm quite sure what we are seeing is the curse of Dr. John McMullen.

We shall never again be good so long as the #13 is in circulation. It needs to be destroyed and banished forever in a grand ceremony paying homage to the great builder.

A witch told me this.

you spoke with stevie nicks?

Reactions: My3Sons

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Team is is too small, too young, it’s frustrating but the team isn’t built right. A trade needs to happen but unfortunately it is has to make sense to two teams. We need some different style players at the forward position. I’m not so sure the owners want to punt this season and have nobody interested in buying tickets by feb. like I am tight now. I see a shakeup coming.

Losing too many board battles is the key to failure and we’re getting out worked along the boards. It doesn’t help when you have passengers looking for breakout passes all the time instead of getting their nose dirty.

I’ve been saying this for months now, this forward crew is poorly built, changes are on the way and I have all the confidence in the world that Fitz will make the proper moves, just like he did with our defence.

For those who seem to think that playing a heavy game and having guys that can push back isn’t necessary, I hope you’re happy with what you’re seeing because if it doesn’t change, we’ll get the same results year after year.

You can’t blame a coach when you’re causing so many turnovers by not being strong enough on the puck.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
Losing too many board battles is the key to failure and we’re getting out worked along the boards. It doesn’t help when you have passengers looking for breakout passes all the time instead of getting their nose dirty.

I’ve been saying this for months now, this forward crew is poorly built, changes are on the way and I have all the confidence in the world that Fitz will make the proper moves, just like he did with our defence.

For those who seem to think that playing a heavy game and having guys that can push back isn’t necessary, I hope you’re happy with what you’re seeing because if it doesn’t change, we’ll get the same results year after year.

You can’t blame a coach when you’re causing so many turnovers by not being strong enough on the puck.
100% agree . Well said

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

i have been saying too... and mainly get ridiculed about it, but people have reallly short memories with what make a successful NHL lineup.. we can't trot out these soft players every night.. you need the mix of styles in my opinion. obviously geersten isn't an answer but its one reason i don't get all bent out of shape when he is in the lineup.. he brings at least some physical element to the lineup.. the key is getting guys that can actually play that bring a similar agame

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
I have never seen a team take that much abuse after scrums and not push back. Our best players get constantly face washed or straight up punched in the head and we let it go like it’s no big deal.

Stand the f*** up and defend yourself for gods sake! Show some f***ing pride and balls for crying out loud. I watch that nonsense every game and keep saying to myself "what is it going to take for someone to step up and defend a teammate or for the guy getting punched in the face to retaliate".

Being a soft ass team isn’t going to do you any good when playing a contact sport.

Reactions: NJ07102

My3Sons

Sponsor
How long before they get big guys who can kick asses if needed? Relentless players who can skate and score and make plays here and there?

That’s what Fitz has started to do but it’s a process. Graves and Dr Evil and even Siegenthaler are bigger guys. They drafted high compete guys like Mercer and Stillman and even Mukhamadullin is a big guy Draft picks take time to develop typically. He’s trying but teams don’t usually give up big strong capable guys in trades short of an overpay.

Reactions: Darkauron

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
those Anaheim vets you are naming are hardly supporting cast. They are all very good players. Look at the years they are having. If NJ had good vets they’d be good. The problem is they have Dr Evil Graves and then…Subban. They don’t have vets to carry the load. Novak has been very meh. I agree that a veteran support system would make a difference but it’s unlikely you can trade for one that quickly and what are you giving up being realistic and assuming you are acquiring at least three difference makers since one or two isn’t going to change things enough short of a miracle.
Yes, thats fair. Those are good players and especially Lindholm and Fowler being top-4 dmen helps a lot. But my point is more that even if those players were on the decline, theyve seen Ducks be good. Theyve been close to a Cup final. Theyve been competitive. Theyve been those young guys, rookies once and theyve learned from the culture that is the Ducks.

All Damon Severson or Nico Hischier or Pavel Zacha have seen is losing and disappointment. They never got to see (I know majority of them have time and are young) winning, let alone learning it. And thats not necessarily on any individual players, but we have been bad for quite awhile. Do we have a culture outside of losing?

Also, why is some random Rags fan liking my post? GTFO.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
That’s what Fitz has started to do but it’s a process. Graves and Dr Evil and even Siegenthaler are bigger guys. They drafted high compete guys like Mercer and Stillman and even Mukhamadullin is a big guy Draft picks take time to develop typically. He’s trying but teams don’t usually give up big strong capable guys in trades short of an overpay.

And that’s why you often have to give up a little more to land those types of players. I love watching Bratt dipsy doodle his way around the ice and ditto for Jack but this ain’t figure skating. Your top players have to be willing to pay the price in the corners and dirty areas. I’m not asking them to be in scrums 24/7 but they can’t be standing on the perimeter all the time waiting for the puck to get loose so they can just zoom down the ice without a care in the world, just looking to generate offense.

As of right now, our forward core is built for an All-Star game and it needs to change sooner rather then later if we want to win hockey games on a regular basis.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Yes, thats fair. Those are good players and especially Lindholm and Fowler being top-4 dmen helps a lot. But my point is more that even if those players were on the decline, theyve seen Ducks be good. Theyve been close to a Cup final. Theyve been competitive. Theyve been those young guys, rookies once and theyve learned from the culture that is the Ducks.

All Damon Severson or Nico Hischier or Pavel Zacha have seen is losing and disappointment. They never got to see (I know majority of them have time and are young) winning, let alone learning it. And thats not necessarily on any individual players, but we have been bad for quite awhile. Do we have a culture outside of losing?

Also, why is some random Rags fan liking my post? GTFO.

Generally I agree with you. I wish it was as simple as making a big trade. That wouldn’t fix the team defense problems or the soft play by too many guys or the iffy goaltending. I think one of the reasons they play McLeod so much is that he will push back. I think they let Ruff finish out the year and get someone else in the offseason if the losing patches continue they way they are going. If the team finishes at NHL 500 that’s probably a realistic expectation.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Generally I agree with you. I wish it was as simple as making a big trade. That wouldn’t fix the team defense problems or the soft play by too many guys or the iffy goaltending. I think one of the reasons they play McLeod so much is that he will push back. I think they let Ruff finish out the year and get someone else in the offseason if the losing patches continue they way they are going. If the team finishes at NHL 500 that’s probably a realistic expectation.

McLeod plays a lot of minutes because he’s our only RH guy who’s actually good at draws and he’s our #1 option on the PK. Not because Ruff thinks he’s on the same level as Bratt, Nico, etc.

My3Sons

Sponsor
And that’s why you often have to give up a little more to land those types of players. I love watching Bratt dipsy doodle his way around the ice and ditto for Jack but this ain’t figure skating. Your top players have to be willing to pay the price in the corners and dirty areas. I’m not asking them to be in scrums 24/7 but they can’t be standing on the perimeter all the time waiting for the puck to get loose so they can just zoom down the ice without a care in the world, just looking to generate offense.

As of right now, our forward core is built for an All-Star game and it needs to change sooner rather then later if we want to win hockey games on a regular basis.

i think Jack is willing too hence him getting spilled into the boards this season multiple times. It’s not just willingness though you have to have the tools to win those battles. I like Bratt and think he is a good player. That said even if he goes into the corners every game how many times is he wining that close physical battle where his shiftiness can’t come into play? I’m sure Geersten is willing but he isn’t skilled enough to make much use of his size and strength.

My3Sons

Sponsor
McLeod plays a lot of minutes because he’s our only RH guy who’s actually good at draws and he’s our #1 option on the PK. Not because Ruff thinks he’s on the same level as Bratt, Nico, etc.

fogo and Pk are worth maybe 5 minutes in a game? Beyond that I’d expect him to play 5-7 minutes not 12-15. He’s obviously not seen as a skilled guy but right now Ruff is grasping at straws to find some energy in the ice I’m sure.

Reactions: Bleedred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad