Post-Game Talk: Devils @ Leafs Part II | Smells Like Teen Spirit [PGT starts page 13]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I also am not trying to diminish what he's done. But as you mentioned...... If the league views him as highly as half this board does, trade him instantly

Unless the Leafs get a top 4 defenseman they can`t refuse, why would we even want to trade Brown...we drafted him, put alot of resources, sweat and tears to developing him, seeing him grow, and now he`s thriving in the NHL, becoming a difference maker...it`s not a video game folks. Do folks expect us to trade him for a 2nd round pick or what...

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Unless the Leafs get a top 4 defenseman they can`t refuse, why would we even want to trade Brown...we drafted him, put alot of resources, sweat and tears to developing him, seeing him grow, and now he`s thriving in the NHL, becoming a difference maker...it`s not a video game folks. Do folks expect us to trade him for a 2nd round pick or what...

Week that's just it. Brown, JVR.....

Better than having to part with Willy. So help me god if they ever do that

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
I think that we tend to overrate our players......brown really doesn't do much offensively on his own....he checks well and has a decent shot, but that's not enough for a top 9 on a contender.
Having said that...he is still just a rookie and may improve..we will have to wait and see...

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Better than having to part with Willy. So help me god if they ever do that

They haven't even seen Nylander's true potential yet....so they don't even know yet what they have in him...you can't trade a 20 year old like him......unless you get a potential superstar defenceman in return..and there aren't any available anyway..

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Leafs now have 3 players with 17 goals;Marner, Brown, and Bozak. I'd love to see all three hit the 20 goal mark.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
So now we know why a healthy Sosh is playing over Leivo. Babs said it's because they need Sosh to play PK.

No matter how well Leivo plays Sosh will be back in the lineup when healthy.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
boyle is fine PKer, and can win faceoffs, but hes not as good as our top 4 hyman, brown, leo, and sosh

with no sosh, if one of boyle, hyman, brown, or leo is in the box...literally a forward whom has never PKed all year has to PK, its probably bozak or martin...i kinda dont wanna see that

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
we da best

wheel snipe willy *****es

what a game by him, just a marvelous outing. And he absolutely destroys their goalie and gives no ****s. Nobody even does anything becuase nobody wants to **** with willy. love this guy, what a player.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
boyle is fine PKer, and can win faceoffs, but hes not as good as our top 4 hyman, brown, leo, and sosh

with no sosh, if one of boyle, hyman, brown, or leo is in the box...literally a forward whom has never PKed all year has to PK, its probably bozak or martin...i kinda dont wanna see that

Babcock is a smart coach. The PK and PP is a HUGE reason why this team has been good.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

No not literally, Martin played in the PK earlier in the season. Even Marner has put in sometime.

We've actually been kind of sucky in the PK since Feb 1st. (19th overall). I guess using Babcock's logic, we better bring Ben Smith back, he was one of our best PKers.

The difference from us moving from 19th to 9th would be about 2.5% in that time period. That would equate to a total of about 6.4 goals in an 82 game schedule, or 0.7 goals in the remaining 9 games.

So, in essence, we would save 0.7 goals against over the last 9 games if we were to improve from 19th to 9th for the last part of the schedule.

Today, Leivo drew a penalty & scored on the PP. We're up .03 goals.

Last edited:

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
As the game went on, the fatigue caught up to them.

The EN goal was sorely needed.
It wasn't an easy latter part of the game, I thought they may collapse.

Watch Eichel next game. Beware

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
No not literally, Martin played in the PK earlier in the season. Even Marner has put in sometime.

We've actually been kind of sucky in the PK since Feb 1st. (19th overall). I guess using Babcock's logic, we better bring Ben Smith back, he was one of our best PKers.

The difference from us moving from 19th to 9th would be about 2.5% in that time period. That would equate to a total of about 6.4 goals in an 82 game schedule, or 0.7 goals in the remaining 9 games.

So, in essence, we would save 0.7 goals against over the last 9 games if we were to improve from 19th to 9th for the last part of the schedule.

Today, Leivo drew a penalty & scored on the PP. We're up .03 goals.

Babcock's logic? How does this make any sense?

Babcock cut Smith and Boyle centers the 4th line. Why would he bring back Smith over Sosh? Sosh is a fantastic PKer and hits a ton on the 4th line. He's also a better overall player than Smith.The Leafs are currently 9th in the NHL in PK percentage. Not bad :handclap:

Cherry pick stats all you like but it won't change the facts. The Leafs PK killed off a 7 minute Columbus PP on Wed which helped them win the game.

Scoring goals is not the Leafs biggest concern. Having a great PK is more important than having a more offensive gifted player like Leivo in the lineup.

Babs is dead right about keeping Sosh in the lineup. With the success they are having how is this even debatable?

Last edited:

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Babcock's logic? How does this make any sense?

Babcock cut Smith and Boyle centers the 4th line. Why would he bring back Smith over Sosh? Sosh is a fantastic PKer and hits a ton on the 4th line. The Leafs are curently 9th in the NHL in PK percentage. Not bad :handclap:

Cherry pick stats all you like but it won't change the facts. The Leafs PK killed off a 7 minute Columbus PP on Wed which helped them win the game.

Scoring goals is not the Leafs biggest concern. Having a great PK is more important than having a more offensive gifted player like Leivo in the lineup.

Babs is dead right about keeping Sosh in the lineup. With the success they are having how is this even debatable?

It's over your head, just walk away.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Nice win guys ! Looks like you've pretty much locked up a playoff spot. Your big 3 (Matthews, Nylander and Marner) is just insane almost every single night ! :popcorn:

Thanks! Kadri/JVR/Bozak/among others have put consistent effort as well and our D has looked a LOT better recently as well. Everything is going in our favour late into the season! With the past management and team we would be doing the annual sinking and ******** the bed :laugh:

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
As someone who is a big Connor Brown fan, I take full offense to a few of the posters who are doubting him.

This kid was a top scorer in the OHL and captained McJesus. He was drafted so low by the leafs because he was an absurd -62 or something on an extraordinarily bad Erie team. Since being drafted, he has done nothing but lead every team he plays on offensively and defensively.

This kid came to the AHL and won rookie of the year putting up nearly 60 points and being the top scorer on an up and coming Marlie team. He wasn't a purely offensive guy either, he was widely considered as one of the top 2 way players in the AHL and was a top notch PK guy.

He has more than paid his dues for this franchise and he bleeds blue and white. He has worked for every opportunity he's gotten as a pro and he's done nothing but excel and win. Last year's Marlies team relied heavily on Leivo, Brown and Willie. Brownie is a homegrown talent who has gone from being a small slow scoring winger on a **** team to a 35-40 point winger in his rookie season playing shutdown minutes and on the PK. He has been exceptional in his role this season and he's done it with a big smile on his face. He's as competitive as they come and I can guarantee you that in the not too distant future he's going to be rocking a letter on his leafs jersey. He's going to be a huge part of this team whether you like it or not. He's the epitome of a 200 foot player and once he gets more comfortable to let his skills and creativity take over, the whole city will endear him because TO loves their hard-nosed skilled guys and he's exactly that.

Lastly, he is as versatile as they come. Oh and the kid has a rocket for a shot. Very deadly and accurate. Watch for that one day too.

When he got called up last year, he played with bozo and JVR I believe and looked like an absolute gem. If I'm not wrong he had 6 points in 7 games and was sent down early because he was ****ing up our tank.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
As someone who is a big Connor Brown fan, I take full offense to a few of the posters who are doubting him.

This kid was a top scorer in the OHL and captained McJesus. He was drafted so low by the leafs because he was an absurd -62 or something on an extraordinarily bad Erie team. Since being drafted, he has done nothing but lead every team he plays on offensively and defensively.

This kid came to the AHL and won rookie of the year putting up nearly 60 points and being the top scorer on an up and coming Marlie team. He wasn't a purely offensive guy either, he was widely considered as one of the top 2 way players in the AHL and was a top notch PK guy.

He has more than paid his dues for this franchise and he bleeds blue and white. He has worked for every opportunity he's gotten as a pro and he's done nothing but excel and win. Last year's Marlies team relied heavily on Leivo, Brown and Willie. Brownie is a homegrown talent who has gone from being a small slow scoring winger on a **** team to a 35-40 point winger in his rookie season playing shutdown minutes and on the PK. He has been exceptional in his role this season and he's done it with a big smile on his face. He's as competitive as they come and I can guarantee you that in the not too distant future he's going to be rocking a letter on his leafs jersey. He's going to be a huge part of this team whether you like it or not. He's the epitome of a 200 foot player and once he gets more comfortable to let his skills and creativity take over, the whole city will endear him because TO loves their hard-nosed skilled guys and he's exactly that.

Lastly, he is as versatile as they come. Oh and the kid has a rocket for a shot. Very deadly and accurate. Watch for that one day too.

When he got called up last year, he played with bozo and JVR I believe and looked like an absolute gem. If I'm not wrong he had 6 points in 7 games and was sent down early because he was ****ing up our tank.

I dont post often, but some of the posts in this thread really wind me up, and i have to support your post before you get flamed by bandwagoners.

Most posters who have lingered here through the dark times respect how much of a triumph Brown is, we have a homegrown local kid drafted in the later rounds and developed internally.
He has every intangible you could want from a player; effort, determination, commitment, grit.... look at the way komarov gifted him a goal last night- you dont do that for any snot nosed rookie, you do it for the guy who grinds every night.

Im not saying hes the second coming of crosby, but you cant win without these types of players; Chi, LA, Pitts all have these type of guys to balance the roster nd do the unflashy work so that the stars can go about their business.

and yet.... he didn't do a spinorama no look top shelf snipe and score at ppg pace so hes garbage and not worthy of a top 9 role... get the **** out, sick of the bandwagoners suddenly coming out of the woodwork now that playoffs could happen.

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
Leivo putting up points everytime hes in the lineup. Hard to do when your not consistently playing. I hope next year we can find him a permanent spot in the top9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad