Post-Game Talk: Devils @ Leafs Part II | Smells Like Teen Spirit [PGT starts page 13]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
brown is our 7th best forward after the obvious 6...hes actually really close to bozak in terms of impact, hes a great defensive forward and PKer, with good enough overall offensive skills

on pace for a 19 goal rookie year, and brings hustle every shift, watching brown chase down the puck carriers is fun to watch...hes one of my favorite players on the team

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
I wouldn't go that far. At this point, there's at least 7 guys ahead of him in terms of puck skill (no particular order):

Marner
Nylander
Matthews
Kadri
Gardiner
Rielly
JVR

But I do agree that he's got real good skills for a third liner. Hard not to love Connor Bardown

Two of those aren't competing for a job with Brown though.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Nice win. You could see they were gassed in the 3rd. So great effort to close that one out.

As for Brown, would be a decent 4th liner, but doesn't have a place in the top 9 when the roster is complete. If other teams over value him like some do on here, he would be a very valuable trade chip.

He is one of those guys where this could be his peak. I don't see anything that tells me he will ever be any better than he is right now. That doesn't make him a bad player like some say, he is what he is. Good skater, very limited puck skills, not overly strong, good without the puck and has a real good finish around the net, but cannot get there on his own.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I wouldn't go that far. At this point, there's at least 7 guys ahead of him in terms of puck skill (no particular order):

Marner
Nylander
Matthews
Kadri
Gardiner
Rielly
JVR

But I do agree that he's got real good skills for a third liner. Hard not to love Connor Bardown

Rielly and Gardiner play different positions entirely.

Marner
Nylander
Matthews
Kadri
JVR

Those guys have better hands than Brown.

Brown has better puck skills than Bozak. Tyler is just more established and mature with his offensive game at the moment.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Nice win. You could see they were gassed in the 3rd. So great effort to close that one out.

As for Brown, would be a decent 4th liner, but doesn't have a place in the top 9 when the roster is complete. If other teams over value him like some do on here, he would be a very valuable trade chip.

He is one of those guys where this could be his peak. I don't see anything that tells me he will ever be any better than he is right now. That doesn't make him a bad player like some say, he is what he is. Good skater, very limited puck skills, not overly strong, good without the puck and has a real good finish around the net, but cannot get there on his own.

Rookie hitting his peak

Holy smokes the standards some of you are applying are extraordinary.

If Brown "regresses" to a 10g20pt winger with EXCELLENT PK abilities he'll have a long, productive NHL career.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
In the end glad for the win. It got tight at the end there, but they walked out of it with the win :). Good job.

Just have to keep looking forward. Let Boston, the Islanders, and Tampa squabble for the last wild card spot. We'll keep following after Ottawa and Montreal.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Yeah, gotta put me down as a Connor Brown fan.

When he got a chance last season, with a few games at the end of the season, he alright, had some offensive flair, but he looked small and not that fast. You would know if he would make it.

Seems like this year, he is a little bigger, and faster, and still putting up points on a consistent basis.

Last few games, he was getting one glorious chance per game, but not burying them. He deserved that empty netter from the pass from Unlce Leo.

He may be a slightly smaller version of the Montreal winger Micheal Ryder, or Eric Cole.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013

This sums it up quite well......he's not a bad player as you say and if he gets the puck in a good spot he can finish, unlike a certain guy playing the wing with Mathews..

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

I think you're underestimating Brown...he was a prolific scoring junior player and his game translated to the AHL easily after that...he's still a rookie and his game is shaping into form in the NHL...he's a valuable asset...competes hard, has good hands, could skate, and also kill penalties (how many rookies actually kill penalties?)...those aren't a dime a dozen players. He could easily play on the 3rd line in any team, maybe on the 2nd line even.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I think you're underestimating Brown...he was a prolific scoring junior player and his game translated to the AHL easily after that...he's still a rookie and his game is shaping into form in the NHL...he's a valuable asset...competes hard, has good hands, could skate, and also kill penalties (how many rookies actually kill penalties?)...those aren't a dime a dozen players. He could easily play on the 3rd line in any team, maybe on the 2nd line even.

That would be great. I don't see the puck skills like some others do, I am hardly and NHL scout. But I agree, tough spot for other rookies on this team, as they are unfairly being judged against the big 3.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

23 Year old rookie hitting his peak? OMG.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Picked the right time of year to get hot

A win on Saturday coupled with a Bruins loss really puts the Leafs in a great spot.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
What a turn around - I never thought we are going to be this good this soon. I expected a big improvement from last year but never imagined competing for playoffs this year

Lately Nylander has been on tear - probably our best forward in recent games

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Brown has made a career by constantly proving his critics wrong. He has unreal work ethic and I have no doubt he will work to get better and quiet the naysayers now. He is actually quite skilled, just needs to get stronger. I remember when Brown was a poor skater and now he's one of the better skaters on the team.

In his prime I see him being a defensively responsible 50 pt winger.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I never said it was fact, OMG. Like I said, I hope I am wrong. Just because my observation is not like yours there is no need to freak out. I just don't see him as a top 9 forward.

Huh? Brown is already a top nine forward. Keep in mind, Brownie doesn't get much PP time so his point totals are very good since most of it is likely on ES.

Brown is a Swiss Army knife. He can do everything and gives us the kind of forward depth you need to win in the playoffs.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Huh? Brown is already a top nine forward. Keep in mind, Brownie doesn't get much PP time so his point totals are very good since most of it is likely on ES.

Brown is a Swiss Army knife. He can do everything and gives us the kind of forward depth you need to win in the playoffs.

What I meant was once this roster is final, as in, Cup contenders, I don't think he will be in that top 9. He's done a great job this season, no doubt.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
What I meant was once this roster is final, as in, Cup contenders, I don't think he will be in that top 9. He's done a great job this season, no doubt.

I also am not trying to diminish what he's done. But as you mentioned...... If the league views him as highly as half this board does, trade him instantly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad