Post-Game Talk: Devils @ Leafs Part II | Smells Like Teen Spirit [PGT starts page 13]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Introducing the new flavour of the month.... Connor Brown. Last month it was Rielly, but since he was playing good, gotta rag on a new player to keep things constantly melancholic, right babe?

:laugh:

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
How people can be down on Connor Brown I have no idea. This is a 31 point rookie that plays with heart is incredibly versatile, and a proven leader.

These kind of guys are essential to winning cups.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
As someone who is a big Connor Brown fan, I take full offense to a few of the posters who are doubting him.

This kid was a top scorer in the OHL and captained McJesus. He was drafted so low by the leafs because he was an absurd -62 or something on an extraordinarily bad Erie team. Since being drafted, he has done nothing but lead every team he plays on offensively and defensively.

This kid came to the AHL and won rookie of the year putting up nearly 60 points and being the top scorer on an up and coming Marlie team. He wasn't a purely offensive guy either, he was widely considered as one of the top 2 way players in the AHL and was a top notch PK guy.

He has more than paid his dues for this franchise and he bleeds blue and white. He has worked for every opportunity he's gotten as a pro and he's done nothing but excel and win. Last year's Marlies team relied heavily on Leivo, Brown and Willie. Brownie is a homegrown talent who has gone from being a small slow scoring winger on a **** team to a 35-40 point winger in his rookie season playing shutdown minutes and on the PK. He has been exceptional in his role this season and he's done it with a big smile on his face. He's as competitive as they come and I can guarantee you that in the not too distant future he's going to be rocking a letter on his leafs jersey. He's going to be a huge part of this team whether you like it or not. He's the epitome of a 200 foot player and once he gets more comfortable to let his skills and creativity take over, the whole city will endear him because TO loves their hard-nosed skilled guys and he's exactly that.

Lastly, he is as versatile as they come. Oh and the kid has a rocket for a shot. Very deadly and accurate. Watch for that one day too.

When he got called up last year, he played with bozo and JVR I believe and looked like an absolute gem. If I'm not wrong he had 6 points in 7 games and was sent down early because he was ****ing up our tank.

:cheers:

LeafsRReady

Aug 14, 2011
As someone who is a big Connor Brown fan, I take full offense to a few of the posters who are doubting him.

This kid was a top scorer in the OHL and captained McJesus. He was drafted so low by the leafs because he was an absurd -62 or something on an extraordinarily bad Erie team. Since being drafted, he has done nothing but lead every team he plays on offensively and defensively.

This kid came to the AHL and won rookie of the year putting up nearly 60 points and being the top scorer on an up and coming Marlie team. He wasn't a purely offensive guy either, he was widely considered as one of the top 2 way players in the AHL and was a top notch PK guy.

He has more than paid his dues for this franchise and he bleeds blue and white. He has worked for every opportunity he's gotten as a pro and he's done nothing but excel and win. Last year's Marlies team relied heavily on Leivo, Brown and Willie. Brownie is a homegrown talent who has gone from being a small slow scoring winger on a **** team to a 35-40 point winger in his rookie season playing shutdown minutes and on the PK. He has been exceptional in his role this season and he's done it with a big smile on his face. He's as competitive as they come and I can guarantee you that in the not too distant future he's going to be rocking a letter on his leafs jersey. He's going to be a huge part of this team whether you like it or not. He's the epitome of a 200 foot player and once he gets more comfortable to let his skills and creativity take over, the whole city will endear him because TO loves their hard-nosed skilled guys and he's exactly that.

Lastly, he is as versatile as they come. Oh and the kid has a rocket for a shot. Very deadly and accurate. Watch for that one day too.

When he got called up last year, he played with bozo and JVR I believe and looked like an absolute gem. If I'm not wrong he had 6 points in 7 games and was sent down early because he was ****ing up our tank.

Well said. We are blessed to have Matthews, Marner and Nylander, but that next tier of forwards is critical. Brown excels at the second tier level. He is an important part of the core going forward.

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
I'll try to start to this post-grade (Only leaf players) thing now. Don't lynch if ya disagree, I just want to try this :handclap:

:leafs:

Goalie:

Curtis Mcelhinney | 30/32 | B-

Not a good start for our mcup, but recovered from it after that. Puck bounced alot with him, but he was good enough to help take the win and let Andy rest.

Defense:
[ points | +/- | shots | toi|

Morgan Reilly | 0+0 |+2 | 2 | 21:20 | A-

Very good game from Mo. Skated circles around devils players and was truely a top pairing D. Very good sacrificin on the d-zone and good first passes with calmness in his game. Still I would like to see him improve his shot A LOT.

Alexey Marchenko | 0+0 | 0 | 0 | 11:32 | B

Ate a puck badly but still came back and was adequate. It's a good sign when ya dont notice him on the ice. I'd say he's a good pick-up for our bottompair. Not dissapointed at all.

Jake Gardiner | 0+0 | +1 | 4 | 23:47 | B+

Basic Jake. Passed a lot and most of 'em were good. Skated awesomely as usual and not that many brainfarts on the d-zone. Still think he should try to make the first pass more quickly in the d-zone.

Nikita Zaitsev | 0+1 | 0 | 2 | 23:55 | B+

Still can't believe this was a free wallet signing. Most minutes and very good effort from him. Consistent playing with a lil pinch of grittiness. Would like to see him more in the PP cuz he has a quite accurate shot. True keeper for us.

Matt Hunwick | 0+0 | +1 | 0 | 21:22 | B-

Played a lot more that I would liked him to play, but fortunately NJD was bad tonight. He gets too much criticism for sure, but he is quite slow and that showed again tonight. Not huge mistakes, but few quite easily avoided mistakes still. Took a penalty so the minus. Still he's played a lot better than at the start of the season.

Connor Carrick | 0+0 | 0 | 2 | 15:09 | B-

Good to see him back, but wasn't the best game for him. Size matters a bit. I'm not saying a LOT, but it showed few times last night in the boards. Still I see the potential with him and happy we have him. I'll get dissed for this, but I thought he was the worst D from us last night.

Forwards:

James Van Riemsdyk | 1+0 | +1 | 3 | 14:36 | B+

Offensively a very good night for him. Was dangerous all night and you can tell that playoff's are closin. He battles a lot more than in the fall. Nicely positioned for the goal 23rd goal for him. Nice game. Could still skate faster back to d-zone

Tyler Bozak | 0+1 | +1 | 0 | 15:53 | B+

Even though a lot of the folks here wants to trade Tyler we cannot close our eyes about the fact that we need a GOOD replacement for him and he's skills on the FO's are truly important for us (55%) Not too visible otherwise tonight, but wasnt bad either. I'd say normal game for him.

Mitch Marner | 0+1 | +1 | 2 | 16:23 | B+

Tied the rookie record for most assists. Genius with the puck, but had few problems with the big D's tonight. Still I just love this fella's will and iq. Drived the line again and nice "shot" for the JVR goal. Looked like a assist more to me :D

Connor Brown | 1+0 | 0 | 3 | 14:48 | B

Scored the emptynetter and moved to 16 goal mark as a rookie which is awesome. Still I would say he looked lil lost at time with leo and naz. Not knockin him, but was quite invisible in 5v5. Good on the PK as usual. Nice player to have still.

Nazem Kadri | 0+1 | 0 | 2 | 14:39 | B+

Adequate game from him again. It's not a nice role to play night in night out, but he manages to survive everytime well. Not that w-o-w on the o-zone, but all-around game was really good. FO's 8-1 so WOW for that

Leo Komarov 0+1 | 0 | 0 | 18:52 | B

Nice quiet game for Leo again and he's gonna be so valueable player for us IF we make the playoffs. I dont like him necessarily on the PP but PK more than much. 100% in the FO :D

Zach Hyman | 0+0 | 0 | 1 | 16:40 | B-

Love the skatin from him, but last night that's about it. Didnt really have any impact though the line was superb. I get what he is suppose to do on ice, but didnt really worked for me last night. Underrated.....sure, Too big role...... sure. Not bad still.

Austin Matthews | 0+2 | +1 | 2 | 16:26 | A-

Still waitin him to pass Clark in goals as a rookie, but this works aswell. I dont give a ***** what Babs tells us that he dont like WiNy and Matthews together, the chemistry is so gooooood. Second best forward tonight.

William Nylander | 1+1 | +1 | 5 | 12:39 | A+

Oozes with confidence and extended his point streak to record breaking 10 as a rookie. Shot is phenomenal and he does with the puck whatever he pleases. Even back-checked at times very efficiently. Best F by far tonight.

Matt Martin | 0+0 | 0 | 0 | 8:36 | B

Not much to say. Fulfilled his role 100% good checkin, defendin and loved how he helped Carrick in the 1st period. Nothin too flashy, but that's not to be expected neither.

Brian Boyle | 0+0 | 0 | 0 | 11:31 | B-

Worst center in the fo circle. Wasnt bad and he really looks like a mentor for the kids. Fought against Zajac. Meh performance for me.

Josh Leivo | 1+0 | 0 | 3 | 12:02 | B+

Gets + because of the goal. I will get blasted for this, but really didnt impress me other than few strides in the first period. Nice goal and all, but really havin tough time to see him in some particular role in the future. Not sayin AT ALL he's bad, but still theres improvements to be made as 200ft player. Nice offensively and a great shot & skating. Still wanna see something more.... Dont blast me too hard.

qmann73

Dec 16, 2016

:clap: Absolutely well said. Brown is a valuable asset for our future. I'm a newcomer to the board but have been a leaf fan since the early 80's. This is an amazing team that we should embrace and not pick out players to dump on. Every player has a role on a team and Brown's current role is important to this team

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
How people can be down on Connor Brown I have no idea. This is a 31 point rookie that plays with heart is incredibly versatile, and a proven leader.

These kind of guys are essential to winning cups.

Stats aren't even telling of what he does on the ice. He has been snakebit for a few weeks and missed probably 6 excellent opportunities to score. Plus the hard work and forecheck, defense, etc.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Ever since Brown was switched back to Kadri's line (Can't remember the exact game but it was during the lines cold streak), Brown has looked way more engaged and trying to use his speed more. Hope he stays with the Leafs for a long time.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I cant believe anyone has a problem with Brown.

Good grief, not everyone has to score 30g and 70 points to be a good NHL player. You'd think after a decade of watching guys who put zero effort into playing we'd be happy with a rookie who might score 20g and is a key member of one of the leagues best PKs.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
image.gif
2017_Playoffs_English_Primary_WebBracketVersion.svg

Toronto Maple Leafs‏ Verified account @MapleLeafs 8 hours ago
"I just want to get in the playoffs to give ourselves a chance." - Mike Babcock #TMLtalk

New Jersey Devils vs Toronto Maple Leafs - Game Highlights - March 23, 2017

Maple Leafs Post-Game: Mike Babcock - March 23, 2017

Maple Leafs Post-Game: Curtis McElhinney - March 23, 2017

More Post-Game Interviews: Nylander; Matthews; Boyle; Brown & Marner
----> http://www.youtube.com/user/torontomapleleafs/videos

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
I'll try to start to this post-grade (Only leaf players) thing now. Don't lynch if ya disagree, I just want to try this ...

:handclap: Good work.., although I don't rate/grade players until after the season has finished... (which will be June, this year.. :) )

Last edited:

SEER

Sep 21, 2015

Good grief, not everyone has to score 30g and 70 points to be a good NHL player. You'd think after a decade of watching guys who put zero effort into playing we'd be happy with a rookie who might score 20g and is a key member of one of the leagues best PKs.

People always seem to look for something/someone to dump on, no matter how good things are going.. Brown is doing excellent, imo.. :nod:

Everyone just needs to stop and realize how many strides forward we have already made, this season, compared to the last dozen..

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
People always seem to look for something/someone to dump on, no matter how good things are going.. Brown is doing excellent, imo.. :nod:

Everyone just needs to stop and realize how many strides forward we have already made, this season, compared to the last dozen..

If it wasn't for the big 3 rookies in front of him, most posters would be calling him a future star with a rookie season like this one

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
If it wasn't for the big 3 rookies in front of him, most posters would be calling him a future star with a rookie season like this one

Agreed...! Still a "star" in my books.. I've followed him for five seasons, now..
We have others who have had good seasons, too.., that some people dump on..

LEAFS ROOKIES IN THE NHL TOP 20 - March 24th 2017

(1.) Patrik Laine - WPG - 61)
--------------------------------------------------
2.) Auston Matthews - TOR - 60
3.) Mitchell Marner - TOR - 57
4.) William Nylander - TOR - 56
11.) Nikita Zaitsev - TOR - 33
12.) Connor Brown - TOR - 31
19.) Zach Hyman - TOR - 26

Leafs fans... This means that out of the top 200 NHL Rookies.., we have SIX of our own, in the top 20 (top 10%)... This is HUGE...!

Last edited:

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Wait, people are hating on Connor Brown? Why LOL? What post did this start at so I can read this garbage?

He's the perfect 3rd line defensive forward AT THIS MOMENT. He's probably going to be a 2nd line two way player on this team putting up 50 points a year in the future.

RedRenegade

Sep 16, 2008
Nice recap NCoRe. Appreciate the effort that you put into that. I won't quote it since that's a huge post, but it was a worthwhile read. No major disagreements from me but I would say that I thought Curtis played pretty well in net so I might have given him a better grade than a B- (tied for your worst grade in the game).

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Excellent post IMO. :yo:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Who knows? Maybe we'll clinch before the back-to-back on the last weekend of the regular season? One can hope.

Not me, hopefully the last game is the most important game of the year.

So now we know why a healthy Sosh is playing over Leivo. Babs said it's because they need Sosh to play PK.

No matter how well Leivo plays Sosh will be back in the lineup when healthy.

Who would have thought that was the reason?

I think there is a faction of fans that believe all forwards should be top 6 and all defenseman top 4.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Not me, hopefully the last game is the most important game of the year.

Who would have thought that was the reason?

I think there is a faction of fans that believe all forwards should be top 6 and all defenseman top 4.

The problem is everyone is spoiled by skills set that Marner, Nylander and Matthews bring. They assume if you are not at caliber then he's not good.

I am not a big fan of Brown but he's the type of players you need in the playoffs. Let him grow a bit, gain some strength. He reminds me of Stajan, which is not bad for a third liner. Works hard, shows up and plays the game. Any other year we would be static with a rookie with 17 goals. He could actually hit 20..... That's insane

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Brown is great.

And he's still a rookie in the NHL.

Even if this was his production for the rest of his career, he'd be a coveted asset.

He can play on your PP
He can play on your PK
He can play on a Skilled line
He can play on a Shut Down line
He can be a threat for 20 goals
His motor is always running

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not often I watch Intermissions but I caught the one last night when they talked about the Larry Hillman curse and was surprised I had never heard that story before. I asked around the room at my beer league game afterwards and no one knew of it.

Was the curse common knowledge?

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
Not often I watch Intermissions but I caught the one last night when they talked about the Larry Hillman curse and was surprised I had never heard that story before. I asked around the room at my beer league game afterwards and no one knew of it.

Was the curse common knowledge?

Never heard of it. What was the story?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad