GDT: Devils @ Islanders, 7:30 PM, Apocalypse Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Look at Smith's career numbers. He's not going to turn into some offensive dman at 33. He needs to know his limitations....I think Bahl would be better suited as a stay at home guy.
Nobody is saying Smith is going to light it up offensively all of a sudden, but my point is he has all of those opportunities with Jack because he can process the game at a level that allows him to be in position to generate those chances.

Bahl is probably better defensively, but he's not going to start capitalizing on the chances that Smith isn't. The likely outcome is he isn't even in that position to begin with.

HischierSeDgewOrk

May 6, 2007
Monmouth County, NJ
Nobody is saying Smith is going to light it up offensively all of a sudden, but my point is he has all of those opportunities with Jack because he can process the game at a level that allows him to be in position to generate those chances.

Bahl is probably better defensively, but he's not going to start capitalizing on the chances that Smith isn't. The likely outcome is he isn't even in that position to begin with.
I guess my point is they should have other d pairings on when Jack is on the ice. Puck dies on Smith's stick. I need Jack to Luke or Jack to Nemec

Camille the Eel

I guess my point is they should have other d pairings on when Jack is on the ice. Puck dies on Smith's stick. I need Jack to Luke or Jack to Nemec
and the opposition so far is concerned with stopping Jack and playing him for the shot. That’s evidently the book on us right now - they sold out to block Jack from shooting in the first 3 games and that’s opening up everyone else around him.

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Smith is getting opportunities with Jack because they are trying to put more defensive Dmen behind his line.... that's mostly the reason.

Especially with a lead.

Reactions: mdj12784

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'd rather see Bahl too but I imagine these coaches rather have experience... especially with our loosey goosey forwards.

Similar thing for Holtz.

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
I totally get why some people don't think the Isles will be good this year (I don't have them making the postseason, myself), but they have the talent to be a cut above the teams the Devils have played so far, so there's a good test to be had, here.

First two losses were obviously hideous, but the possession play of a lot of the skaters looked better, something that finally bore fruit in the third game. Keep that up and beat the Fishsticks, please and thank you.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Hate saying it's a big test but it'll be interesting to see if we can keep up all the pressure in the ozone, especially trying to get to the middle of the ice.

Reactions: Blender

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Without Trotz are the Isle's still playing a low event defensive game?

Kind of hope they do, just to see how we fair against a tighter style.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Would be nice to find a way to win this but I don't have very high hopes.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I totally get why some people don't think the Isles will be good this year (I don't have them making the postseason, myself), but they have the talent to be a cut above the teams the Devils have played so far, so there's a good test to be had, here.

First two losses were obviously hideous, but the possession play of a lot of the skaters looked better, something that finally bore fruit in the third game. Keep that up and beat the Fishsticks, please and thank you.
The Isles have been pretty competent thus far and Sorokin is...Sorokin. He's good.

It'll be a test for the Devils. They need to carry play again and get some finish.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is the last game on ESPN+ until the new calendar year.

I looked it up a couple weeks ago and I believe that's the case, unless I overlooked one while skimming.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Its not a test. Its a challenge. Isles is a better team. Their defensive core is good and structured, their goalie is much much better. Their offensive line isn't better on paper, but more experienced. They can play safe style of hockey and wait for our turnovers and blueline collapses.
I'm not saying we will not win, but Islanders is better team on paper, they were 9th team year ago, when they were hitted by covid and schedule. It would be great to play netter than Islanders, it would mean Devils can really compete for play off spot, I just don't wait that kind of level from our team. Good goaltending would help, but im not waiting good goaltending for now.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Its not a test. Its a challenge. Isles is a better team. Their defensive core is good and structured, their goalie is much much better. Their offensive line isn't better on paper, but more experienced. They can play safe style of hockey and wait for our turnovers and blueline collapses.
I'm not saying we will not win, but Islanders is better team on paper, they were 9th team year ago, when they were hitted by covid and schedule. It would be great to play netter than Islanders, it would mean Devils can really compete for play off spot, I just don't wait that kind of level from our team. Good goaltending would help, but im not waiting good goaltending for now.
The Islanders are not a better team outside of goaltending, but the discrepancy in net is so significant that it's going to be hard for the Devils to overcome. 5v5 the Devils are just a straight up better team.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Love the GDT theme!

I've been out of town for a few days, and unable to watch the last two games. I have to miss this one too for a happy hour I'm going to.

Hoping to come home to news of a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad