LeBrun: Devils have cap space/assets to acquire a good player or two

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I think Fowler would be the more interesting party

Yeah Anaheim is like in 1st place in the Pacific Conference, No way is Bob Murray trading by far his best young D man to the Devils in season. If Fowler is moved it will be this summer and it wouldn't shock me if Murray doesn't try and resign Fowler and move Vatanen that's the scenario i could see playing out here.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
The Devils don't even need a top pair defenseman via trade ( they do but highly unlikely). They need a defenseman who is better than lovejoy, Quincey, Merrill, and Moore. So decent #3 or good #4. We have a decent number of mid round picks which should be available to a team facing expansion draft problems. I think depres on Anaheim would be a good add, but haven't followed his season very much at all

Depres had another bad concussion setback, he's pretty much done (see Savard) There is no way I would make a trade for him at all. Here is some background: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/simon-...on-a-sensitive-issue-for-ducks-202945301.html

I think Shero will deal will with George McPhee from LV for some deals around the good crop of D LV will have made available.
I don't see teams trading them pre-expansion because they have to expose another player (ex. Minny D-Scandella, Brodin, Spurgeon, Dumba, Folin) they can't keep them all because of 4 NMCs they have in Suter, Parise, Koivu, Poms. Why trade Brodin and loose Dumba?
So our draft picks come into play there IMO.
The other route is taking on a cap dump. Stoner and a desirable D man from Ana for a roster player and a pick. The picks become almost as important as the cap room

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Devils have one of the biggest assets right now in cap space and longterm cap flexibility. The 2016 draft class is looking very promising at the moment as well. A lot is going to depend on what Shero does before the start of the next season.

The issue with NJ is that regardless of the cap they have, is it a desirable place to play for UFA's? With the state of the team, I'd say it isn't currently a desirable destination for anyone that is going to be a UFA highly skilled player.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The Devils are in 26th place in the league. They might want to hold onto those draft picks. It's not like they are one player away from being a contender.

However, Shero is pretty terrible at drafting, so it wouldn't be the worst thing if he did makes some trades for established players. Devils fans should be a little nervous that he won't trade those second round picks for the likes or Brendan Morrow of Douglass Murray.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The issue with NJ is that regardless of the cap they have, is it a desirable place to play for UFA's? With the state of the team, I'd say it isn't currently a desirable destination for anyone that is going to be a UFA highly skilled player.

I hate this mindset always. Even the bad teams draw FAs from time to time. Money talks.

The Devils are in 26th place in the league. They might want to hold onto those draft picks. It's not like they are one player away from being a contender.

However, Shero is pretty terrible at drafting, so it wouldn't be the worst thing if he did makes some trades for established players. Devils fans should be a little nervous that he won't trade those second round picks for the likes or Brendan Morrow of Douglass Murray.

Shero's drafting when he was with the Penguins is a COMPLETELY different scenario than his drafting now....do you not understand that?

Plus, they have Castron now running the show who is the guy who drafted many of the guys in Columbus who are dominating this year.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
In all honesty, it's the Devils only chance or looking at a trade option.

Team has a boatload of young forwards but no promising defenders outside of Severson, Santini, and Rykov who is a few years away from coming over. If Devils want to compete under Schneider, Hall, Henrique, Palmieri, and Zajac/Greene's final good years, they need to make a big splash in free agency.

The only good thing right now is with the cap space and cap flexibility, they could afford to overpay for a guy like Shattenkirk or even a guy like Alzner and plan around it down the road. Schneider, Hall, Henrique, and Palmieri are all signed to very fair deals.

This is the 5th season in a row the Devils are in/around a bottom 10 team.

They simply aren't a very good team and that core isn't worth protecting.

They should be focusing on a longer term vision towards building the team up again and not going after guys like Alzner or Shattenkirk.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
This is the 5th season in a row the Devils are in/around a bottom 10 team.

They simply aren't a very good team and that core isn't worth protecting.

They should be focusing on a longer term vision towards building the team up again and not going after guys like Alzner or Shattenkirk.

Shattenkirk is 27 :laugh: its not like hes some 33 year old here.

I agree its a longshot that he comes to NJ, but I would bet my money that SHero absolutely tries.

the Devils need DMen in the worst way possible and don't have much coming through the pipeline on the backend. They are going to need to make some trades or signings to stabilize the D corps.

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
I'd rather sell off the aging players we have and acquire more assets. Then actually use those assets to select some good ****in hockey players. Hell of a concept.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Shattenkirk is 27 :laugh: its not like hes some 33 year old here.

I agree its a longshot that he comes to NJ, but I would bet my money that SHero absolutely tries.

the Devils need DMen in the worst way possible and don't have much coming through the pipeline on the backend. They are going to need to make some trades or signings to stabilize the D corps.

Shattenkirk is going to command a big deal. Teams like Jersey that don't offer the opportunity to contend in the near term have to overpay/overterm even more.

Shattenkirk's best years on that deal will be the first few but by the time the Devils could turn this around it's most likely his deal will be a cap albatross.

Signing Shattenkirk is just digging the team a further hole.

The Devils should be looking to load up on more picks and guys in the under 22 range. It's going to be a few years to turn this around. If they need a vet look for guys with only a few years term.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
In all honesty, it's the Devils only chance or looking at a trade option.

Team has a boatload of young forwards but no promising defenders outside of Severson, Santini, and Rykov who is a few years away from coming over. If Devils want to compete under Schneider, Hall, Henrique, Palmieri, and Zajac/Greene's final good years, they need to make a big splash in free agency.

The only good thing right now is with the cap space and cap flexibility, they could afford to overpay for a guy like Shattenkirk or even a guy like Alzner and plan around it down the road. Schneider, Hall, Henrique, and Palmieri are all signed to very fair deals.

I do think it helps a bunch that there are a bunch of good deals "on the books", so an agressive deal (which is what I think it would take) is unlikely to handicap the team going forward.

I just think that if you look at the number of teams that would likely make an offer to Shattenkirk, I wouldn't want to hold my breath that my team is going to be one that gets him. Especially if the team is stuck in the "draft 8-14th" cycle like the Devils seem to be.

I also think that Shattenkirk's age makes him a very valuable commodity. Even on a 7 year deal, his contract ends when he's 34, when many d-man who play his style of game are still playing at high level. This isn't a Ladd or Backes case where the back half of the contract is going to look terrible the minute they sign those deals.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Shattenkirk is going to command a big deal. Teams like Jersey that don't offer the opportunity to contend in the near term have to overpay/overterm even more.

Shattenkirk's best years on that deal will be the first few but by the time the Devils could turn this around it's most likely his deal will be a cap albatross.

Signing Shattenkirk is just digging the team a further hole.

The Devils should be looking to load up on more picks and guys in the under 22 range. It's going to be a few years to turn this around. If they need a vet look for guys with only a few years term.

Disagree on Shattenkirk's likely period to contribute. I don't think that Shattenkirk is likely to fall off at 29/30 YO (those after the first few) like you seem to assume. I do think that it would take a hell of an offer for the Devil's to get him though.

I just don't see a team that has made the deals it has over the last 3-4 years decide to blow it up. If they did go down that path, it would really only take a couple of deals. Schneider to a team like CGY or WINN would seem to make sense. Move guys like Greene & Cammy, and retain salary to maximize the assets coming back. They would bottom out in a big hurry, but like I said, I don't think that is ownership's intention.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'm not sure you understand just how well the Devils are set up cap-wise going forward. And yes, part of that is because they don't have enough players, but still.

They are going to NEED to overpay one of these guys here going forward.

they already have a ton of picks right now and will likely be getting a couple more at the deadline when they unload some of their guys. what they NEED, more than anything, is legit top 4 DMen.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
The Devils are trending towards the 3rd worst record in the league right now, when considering games in hand for teams close to them in points and just how terrible Colorado and the Coyotes are. If that pick winds up outside of the top5 I'd shop it and see what's out there.
They're 2 points below .500 lol its so tight in this league that a 3-4 game winning streak can shoot them up 4-6 spots and there's still a lot of hockey left. Hopefully they win tonight :yo:

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I think it is time to field offers for Schneider. He deserves to contend and the Devils need a return that he can garner. We also have Appleby playing really well in the AHL and a promising young goalie prospect in Blackwood.

I love Schneider to death but I think it would be best for both parties. Maybe its just me?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I think it is time to field offers for Schneider. He deserves to contend and the Devils need a return that he can garner. We also have Appleby playing really well in the AHL and a promising young goalie prospect in Blackwood.

I love Schneider to death but I think it would be best for both parties. Maybe its just me?

Not just you, I'm definitely open to it. Love the guy, but he's preventing us from truly rebuilding. For arguments sake, lets say moving Schneider leads us to fully collapse and end up with Patrick or Hischier. Could any Devils fan seriously say they'd be upset with that? If we traded him last year or the year before, we would've had a legitimate chance at McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, or Laine. 1 for 1 I'd trade any of those guys for Cory.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Palmeri + 2nd Rounder for Martinez + 3rd.

38b00ece2a99ecf57e2420ca295dd7090c7543de_hq.gif

Force951

Jul 17, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
From the sound of other threads, Ducks fans regard him and Lindholm as the two untouchables these days. Last time i saw a discussion, they were saying Fowler+Lindholm+Manson would be their 3 on D, with a Bieksa trade/buyout

Ideally yes, trade Vatanen after the season but before the expansion draft and buyout Bieksa. Next year you roll with the following;

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Theodore
Stoner-Montour

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

Depends on the return. If the Devils wanna tank for '17 through '19 while Appleby or Blackwood develop then fine. It'll probably take at least two years for one of them to be ready. In the meantime they can start Kinkaid or sign some generic veteran if winning isn't the priority.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Not just you, I'm definitely open to it. Love the guy, but he's preventing us from truly rebuilding. For arguments sake, lets say moving Schneider leads us to fully collapse and end up with Patrick or Hischier. Could any Devils fan seriously say they'd be upset with that? If we traded him last year or the year before, we would've had a legitimate chance at McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, or Laine. 1 for 1 I'd trade any of those guys for Cory.

Yes for the reason you stated later in the thread:
  • McDavid
  • Eichel
  • Matthews
  • Laine

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Disagree on Shattenkirk's likely period to contribute. I don't think that Shattenkirk is likely to fall off at 29/30 YO (those after the first few) like you seem to assume. I do think that it would take a hell of an offer for the Devil's to get him though.

I just don't see a team that has made the deals it has over the last 3-4 years decide to blow it up. If they did go down that path, it would really only take a couple of deals. Schneider to a team like CGY or WINN would seem to make sense. Move guys like Greene & Cammy, and retain salary to maximize the assets coming back. They would bottom out in a big hurry, but like I said, I don't think that is ownership's intention.

If NJ aren't going to go in on a big free agent like Shattenkirk because he's gonna be 28 that's ridiculous. You can't have the whole team be young guys, and they could use his skill on the back end more than just about any team in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad