LeBrun: Devils have cap space/assets to acquire a good player or two

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I wouldn't call him purely a cap dump. But I can see that with the hit he carries. maybe Jacobs and a 3rd? :naughty:

I think we're due for Toronto's 3rd in 2017 or 2018 as compensation. Knowing Lamoriello, we'll probably have to wait until 2018...you can have that one.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
NJ Gets:
Mattias Ekholm

NSH Gets:
Adam Henrique (25% Retained = $1,000,000)
2017 2nd Round Pick (higher pick of two)
+

This is the type of trade that doesn't really make any sense from the Devils perspective. Yes Ekholm is solid and signed to a hell of a contract, but swapping Henrique for him doesn't necessarily improve us much at all (and I also think we're overpaying a bit in your offer).
If we move Henrique I'd much rather see a 1st and a solid prospect coming back in return.

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
This is the type of trade that doesn't really make any sense from the Devils perspective. Yes Ekholm is solid and signed to a hell of a contract, but swapping Henrique for him doesn't necessarily improve us much at all (and I also think we're overpaying a bit in your offer).
If we move Henrique I'd much rather see a 1st and a solid prospect coming back in return.

I think that's a very fair deal imo. Henrique is a solid middle 6 forward and Ekholm is a very solid top 4 D. Taking account for the market for a Top 4 D, Devils may have to over pay a bit. Let's say the Devils get a second rounder for PAP, they will have 3 second rounders at their disposal. Let's just say they do that trade and then sign Shattenkirk, this is what the D looks like:

Greene-Shattenkirk
Ekholm-Severson
Lovejoy-Santini
Moore/Merrill

That's solid.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
I think that's a very fair deal imo. Henrique is a solid middle 6 forward and Ekholm is a very solid top 4 D. Taking account for the market for a Top 4 D, Devils may have to over pay a bit. Let's say the Devils get a second rounder for PAP, they will have 3 second rounders at their disposal. Let's just say they do that trade and then sign Shattenkirk, this is what the D looks like:

Greene-Shattenkirk
Ekholm-Severson
Lovejoy-Santini
Moore/Merrill

That's solid.

I'm not saying it's not a fair trade (although I don't see the Devs needing to toss in a 2nd and eat cap), but just that we can certainly do better for Henrique.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

Some Anaheim fans have expressed interest in Henrique to play LW. The team is swimming in young defense. Any deal to be made there?

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I would welcome JVR to the Devils but why are Leaf fans so dead set on trading him?

They're not....
They're happy to keep him too. If something comes along that fits in a trade, he will be moved. If not, they'll keep him.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
the Devils don't need JVR. They have too many LW as it is in the organization plus he is going to be UFA soon.

If they make a trade, its going to be for a clear upgrade at C or RW or a straight swap for a young LHD.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I feel like the same trade for Ekholm that I would be fair for Vatanen.

Probably is....Anaheim is loaded on the left side too. I can't see them moving Lindholm and apparently Fowler is now untouchable. I wonder if they'd be willing to move someone younger if the Devils took on a cap dump as well.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Trade for JVR and Vatanen/Fowler and sign Shattenkirk and they would be a great team. Easier said than done though

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Probably is....Anaheim is loaded on the left side too. I can't see them moving Lindholm and apparently Fowler is now untouchable. I wonder if they'd be willing to move someone younger if the Devils took on a cap dump as well.

Theodore is a lefty but they have high expectations for him
Montour is a righty and just slightly less expectations
Larrsson is younger with a high ceiling too
Apparently Murray has said (from what Ana fans have said) he won't move the youngsters.

They were trying to move Stoner last year who is a bottom pairing guy but with only 1 yr left it may not be as important.

With Fowler having such a good season Vats was the one they moved onto trading. Vats is a righty on target for about 34 pts or so this yr
Here is d corp in depth order as of right now

Fowler LHD 25-2 more 4M
Vatanen RHD 25- is signed for 3 more 4.875M
Lindholm LHD 22- is signed for 5 more after this 5.2M
Manson RHD 25- 1 more .825K and RFA
Bieksa RHD 35- 1 more 4M They will try and get him to waive
Theodore LHD 21- 1 more 860K RFA Ex Draft exempt

Holzer RHD 28- UFA .700K Extra
Stoner LHD 31- 1 more 3.25M Hurt

Montour is Ex Draft exempt BTW

and I don't count Despres at all, he should be LTIR'd and not effect their cap

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

Greene-Shattenkirk
Ekholm-Severson
Lovejoy-Santini
Moore/Merrill

That's solid.

Good luck with trying to get a 2nd for PAP.

There was no trade market for him when the Leafs tried to move him last deadline.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Good luck with trying to get a 2nd for PAP.

There was no trade market for him when the Leafs tried to move him last deadline.

If I'm remembering correctly, Parenteau sustained an injury right before the deadline. Not saying that's why he didn't get moved, but it could have been a factor.

Frankly, Parenteau being a question mark injury-wise at the deadline could have created somewhat of a bidding war for Stempniak. We were all very happy with the 2nd+4th package we got from Boston for him.

All speculation, of course. A 2nd for Parenteau seems steep; I'd say a 3rd is more likely.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
What would Anaheim want for Theodore, or is he off of the table??? If he would be considered as a trade piece, what would the Devils have to give up for Stoner + Theodore

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
If I'm remembering correctly, Parenteau sustained an injury right before the deadline. Not saying that's why he didn't get moved, but it could have been a factor.

Frankly, Parenteau being a question mark injury-wise at the deadline could have created somewhat of a bidding war for Stempniak. We were all very happy with the 2nd+4th package we got from Boston for him.

All speculation, of course. A 2nd for Parenteau seems steep; I'd say a 3rd is more likely.

Last years Stempniak was more useful and versatile player than this years Parenteau, who is very often completely invisible when he doesn't make goals. That's why I think Devils get a 3rd or 4th for Parenteau.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Last years Stempniak was more useful and versatile player than this years Parenteau, who is very often completely invisible when he doesn't make goals. That's why I think Devils get a 3rd or 4th for Parenteau.

I completely agree with you; the Stempniak talk was me just thinking out loud in retrospect.

I'm intrigued by what kind of market Parenteau may/may not have at the deadline, but I'm not holding my breath.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Theodore is a lefty but they have high expectations for him
Montour is a righty and just slightly less expectations
Larrsson is younger with a high ceiling too
Apparently Murray has said (from what Ana fans have said) he won't move the youngsters.

They were trying to move Stoner last year who is a bottom pairing guy but with only 1 yr left it may not be as important.

With Fowler having such a good season Vats was the one they moved onto trading. Vats is a righty on target for about 34 pts or so this yr
Here is d corp in depth order as of right now

Fowler LHD 25-2 more 4M
Vatanen RHD 25- is signed for 3 more 4.875M
Lindholm LHD 22- is signed for 5 more after this 5.2M
Manson RHD 25- 1 more .825K and RFA
Bieksa RHD 35- 1 more 4M They will try and get him to waive
Theodore LHD 21- 1 more 860K RFA Ex Draft exempt

Holzer RHD 28- UFA .700K Extra
Stoner LHD 31- 1 more 3.25M Hurt

Montour is Ex Draft exempt BTW

and I don't count Despres at all, he should be LTIR'd and not effect their cap

All true ... there's no telling right now what will happen re: expansion. Devils can make moves in the offseason after the two drafts. It's advantageous (potentially) to exploit an expansion-trapped team, but the Devils don't only have to target players based on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad