LeBrun: Devils have cap space/assets to acquire a good player or two

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
I think Fowler would be the more interesting party

There was once a time Fowler could have been had, but unfortunately that ship has sailed. Too long has the community (and likely GMs) stood firm on the notion Cam Fowler isn't a top pairing defender. This was primarily due to an erroneously blind application of indirect statistics such as corsi. Now that he's playing like much more than just an average guy who can simply skate on a top pairing, to acquire him would be very difficult.

He's now an all-star, not a Mike Smith all-star, Kesler is also on the team so he didn't have to be chosen. He's legitimately been that good, and its not at all surprising to Duck fans. He isn't just playing good or getting anomalous results, his measurables have improved. He is stronger, his shot is much harder, but his skating has been unscathed in the process.

Look for him to be re-signed in duckland for the long haul.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
All true ... there's no telling right now what will happen re: expansion. Devils can make moves in the offseason after the two drafts. It's advantageous (potentially) to exploit an expansion-trapped team, but the Devils don't only have to target players based on that.

Agreed, I think the thought of we can poach someone who who has too many spots may be overblown though. I really think its moves with LV to get what they pick up. Which probably costs more assets. But will be fun to watch

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I think that's a very fair deal imo. Henrique is a solid middle 6 forward and Ekholm is a very solid top 4 D. Taking account for the market for a Top 4 D, Devils may have to over pay a bit. Let's say the Devils get a second rounder for PAP, they will have 3 second rounders at their disposal. Let's just say they do that trade and then sign Shattenkirk, this is what the D looks like:

Greene-Shattenkirk
Ekholm-Severson
Lovejoy-Santini
Moore/Merrill

That's solid.

Even if you get Ekholm in a deal for Henrique then your forward group suddenly becomes very underwhelming.

That's a good but not great D. Certainly not good enough to carry that forward group anywhere.

Devils should primarily be looking to take on cap dumps to gain assets. Think Bickell, Bolland, Savard type deals.

For example Mark Fayne, Clayton Stoner, Matt Greene all only 1 year left on teams that could use the cap space.

Or Matt Moulson, Benoit Pouliot, Brooks Orpik got 2 years left.

They should also look to retain on players to increase their value even more. The Devils need to take a patient longer term approach.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Even if you get Ekholm in a deal for Henrique then your forward group suddenly becomes very underwhelming.

That's a good but not great D. Certainly not good enough to carry that forward group anywhere.

Devils should primarily be looking to take on cap dumps to gain assets. Think Bickell, Bolland, Savard type deals.

For example Mark Fayne, Clayton Stoner, Matt Greene all only 1 year left on teams that could use the cap space.

They should also look to retain on players to increase their value even more. The Devils need to take a patient longer term approach.

I agree, seems some Devils fans are eager to give up forwards like Henrique and Palmieri and last year were eager to give up Dman for a forward. Trading Henrique or Palmieri right now for a dman does nothing but take this team backwards.

Patients is the key here, the deals will come, the changes will come. Shero does a great job with trades let him do his job.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I agree, seems some Devils fans are eager to give up forwards like Henrique and Palmieri and last year were eager to give up Dman for a forward. Trading Henrique or Palmieri right now for a dman does nothing but take this team backwards.

Patients is the key here, the deals will come, the changes will come. Shero does a great job with trades let him do his job.

I think the issues really boil down to:

1.) We are doing worse than last year even though we improved on paper, which people see as regression (though I would argue we overachieved last year).

2.) Schneider isn't getting any younger. It's no good to keep waiting, and then by the time we're ready to compete he's 34.

These make it seem like we need an urgent fix, but I agree, we need to think about the long game.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think the issues really boil down to:

1.) We are doing worse than last year even though we improved on paper, which people see as regression (though I would argue we overachieved last year).

2.) Schneider isn't getting any younger. It's no good to keep waiting, and then by the time we're ready to compete he's 34.

These make it seem like we need an urgent fix, but I agree, we need to think about the long game.

We're doing basically the same as we were last year

last year 84 points in 82 games = 1.02 ppg
this year 45 points in 45 games = 1.00 ppg

I think Shero is already thinking about the long game, though. We are already in the process of a rebuild, which is what I don't think some fans of other teams realize.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

Ok so whats the ask on these guys, give me your thoughts:
Fayne=
Stoner =
Greene =
Moulson=
Pouliot=
Orpik=

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Ok so whats the ask on these guys, give me your thoughts:
Fayne=
Stoner =
Greene =
Moulson=
Pouliot=
Orpik=

For Fayne or Greene, Shero should aim to get a 2nd rounder or very close to. Think close to what Marc Savard returned but maybe a bit less.

Moulson, Pouliot or Orpik cause they've got 2 years left at high cap hits they should be aiming for a late 1st or very good prospect in the 7.5B/C type. They very likely would aim for an 8.0C type but give up some of their own picks. Like the Canes did to get Teravainen (Bickell) for 2nd + 3rd or Crouse (Bolland) for 2nd + 3rd.

bluesfan3109

Let's Go Blues!!!
Jan 26, 2015
STL/IL
Devils Army Blog had few trade suggestions. Some of them are quite unrealistic (for example that Minnesota trade), and some just stupid (Henrique and 1st round pick for a rental player).

Tomas Tatar <-> 2nd round pick (2017)

Michael Stone <-> 2nd round pick (2018)

Matt Dumba, Jason Zucker <-> Michael Cammalleri, Devante Smith-Pelly, 2nd round pick (2017)

Edmonton 5th round pick <-> Vern Fiddler

James van Riemsdyk <-> Travis Zajac (retains some salary), 3rd round pick

Kevin Shattenkirk <-> Adam Henrique, 1st round pick (2018), 3rd round pick (2017, conditional if Shattenkirk re-signs)

Columbus 4th round pick (2017) <-> Kyle Quincey

http://njdab.com/articles/early-look-the-devils-and-the-2017-trade-deadline/

What if we add Lehtera as a replacement C on top of Shatty...

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Devils Army Blog had few trade suggestions. Some of them are quite unrealistic (for example that Minnesota trade), and some just stupid (Henrique and 1st round pick for a rental player).

Tomas Tatar <-> 2nd round pick (2017)

Michael Stone <-> 2nd round pick (2018)

Matt Dumba, Jason Zucker <-> Michael Cammalleri, Devante Smith-Pelly, 2nd round pick (2017)

Edmonton 5th round pick <-> Vern Fiddler

James van Riemsdyk <-> Travis Zajac (retains some salary), 3rd round pick

Kevin Shattenkirk <-> Adam Henrique, 1st round pick (2018), 3rd round pick (2017, conditional if Shattenkirk re-signs)

Columbus 4th round pick (2017) <-> Kyle Quincey

http://njdab.com/articles/early-look-the-devils-and-the-2017-trade-deadline/

These two are awful, just awful. Tatar hasn't been very good this year, but I don't see why he's traded for a second round Draft pick in a weak Draft year.

JVR isn't getting traded for a 32 year Center and a third round Draft pick in a crap Draft either. That makes absolutely no sense either.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
We're doing basically the same as we were last year

last year 84 points in 82 games = 1.02 ppg
this year 45 points in 45 games = 1.00 ppg

I think Shero is already thinking about the long game, though. We are already in the process of a rebuild, which is what I don't think some fans of other teams realize.

Yeah, but we weren't getting blown out as much last year. We were at 37 points in 41 games before the road trip.

2016 we were pretty consistent and even-keel all year, this season has been wildly inconsistent. When we're bad, we're Colorado bad. I think a lot of people expected us to take the next step this year but instead we had one of the worst Decembers in franchise history.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Yeah, but we weren't getting blown out as much last year. We were at 37 points in 41 games before the road trip.

2016 we were pretty consistent and even-keel all year, this season has been wildly inconsistent. When we're bad, we're Colorado bad. I think a lot of people expected us to take the next step this year but instead we had one of the worst Decembers in franchise history.

This is why all the crazy talk. If we had little to no success last year and the Hall move had not happened, we would all just be going along with the build. We got a little to greedy thinking it could be done sooner, which I guess is a credit to Shero and co. If you really look at what he has done in a short timeframe its pretty good.
If he makes another good smart moves in the same direction we will all calm down.

He's got stuff to work with picks, cap less so on rostered assets outside the obvious, but the expansion draft and cap strapped teams are nothing but good for us. If they reevaluate and think they are not near compete level in x years consider moving those core-like players.

The sky is not falling!

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA

We also had a brutal schedule in December.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad