GDT: Devils..Free Agent signing day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Forget the numbers and look at him play the game. He’s the last thing we want alongside Jack Hughes cause he’d have to cover for all his boneheaded plays and we want Jack to flourish as our main point producer, not babysit a veteran who’s getting healthy scratched by two different teams when the games mattered the most.

Gee I wonder where the numbers come from. They must be made up. Yeah we want Jack to produce so what we should do is not go after the guy who's 19th in 5v5 P/60 and 40th in AS P/60 over the last 3 years. How would that guy ever help Jack produce. You're right

Reactions: TheDuke93

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Gee I wonder where the numbers come from. They must be made up. Yeah we want Jack to produce so what we should do is not go after the guy who's 19th in 5v5 P/60 and 40th in AS P/60 over the last 3 years. How would that guy ever help Jack produce. You're right

If you like to evaluate someone’s worth based of stats only, that’s fine, I rather look at the entire picture.

If he’s such a great asset, explain to me why he was a healthy scratch in back to back runs by the Knights and the Habs?

Reactions: LeedsMonster

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'm fine with it.

The real story with our centers next season is Nico and Hughes needing to have big offensive years.
Even if you're fine with it (which I am if we can't get anyone else at a reasonable price), who gets the call if one of our centers get injured? We have so little depth at the position, and I'm not comfortable with Zacha stepping back to the middle for an extended period.

I feel we need to get someone, even if he slots below Boqvist.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The only thing that I've seen from Fitz that appears a bit questionable is the rumored interest in Risto.

Everything else looks like a guy with a pretty accurate read on both the team and the pool of talent available via trade and free agency. I guess it'd be nice if our drafting started to lean more towards high ceiling / high IQ players again?

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Saad seems liked the kind of player that would have enough value to move if needed on a 4 year deal.

If they believe they can work that cap around him for his requested term then I am sure it will be fine. Saad does seem like a good move. Someone with a little size on the wing with Jack who has some experience playing with higher end players.
Saad is smart enough to capitalize on Jack's setups as well; he mainly averages 18-20 goals. Think he can average 20-25 next to Jack

Id be willing to do four years at 5 million. Worst comes to worst, if our young kids pop off and earn big paydays, you pay to move him or if hes a good fit move someone for value.

Our cap isnt a concern in the next four years - its the four years proceeding that we have to worry about

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
The only thing that I've seen from Fitz that appears a bit questionable is the rumored interest in Risto.

Everything else looks like a guy with a pretty accurate read on both the team and the pool of talent available via trade and free agency.

Muk and Stillman bother me as well but those are the only 3 I really have an issue with

Reactions: Unknown Caller

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Muk and Stillman bother me as well but those are the only 3 I really have an issue with

Yeah, I edited my post to reflect that concern as well. And even with those two, they're both very intriguing for different reasons. It's not like we took B. Schneider or another McLeod or something.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Yeah, I edited my post to reflect that concern as well. And even with those two, they're both very intriguing for different reasons. It's not like we took B. Schneider or another McLeod or something.

I think they're both players you move back for. Maybe you couldn't with Stillman and in that case I take a bigger swing but so be it. With Muk they 100% could've moved down to 24 and got 80th as well and he definitely would've still been there.

Reactions: Oneiro

RCPXP

Oct 8, 2010
New Brunswick, Canada
I say we threaten MIN with a $6m offer sheet to try and force a trade for Kevin Fiala. They have cap space now but that disappears next year with the Parise / Suter dead money. They'll probably match but it's worth a shot.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I still can't believe Tucker f***ing Poolman got 4 years at 2.5... Quinn has to be thinking about jetting out of there as soon as possible. Also Jones and Holtby at 2 million

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Ok, I might be a little drunk but I think the Habs are looking loaded at the wing position and if they threw their 2022 2nd round pick, I might contemplate taking Jonathan Drouin off their hands. He has 2 years left at 5.5M$ per and has a ton of skills.

Granted we would have to know what the issue was that kept him away from the team for over half the season but if he’s ok and it’s nothing major, I’d roll the dice on his short term deal.

Ok, I just reread my post… scratch that! However, I would give up our 2022, unprotected, plus a couple of others assets for Matthew Tkatchuk.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
If we sign Saad to something like a 4 year deal, I don't think I would like that.

I think given what we have seen 4 years would be the likely spot for term. Look at some of the other contracts out there today. Hes also younger then some of these guys signed today. Pierre said that Carolina and he believed that Avs pitched him also. Im sure thats not all. Id guess the Avs offered less money because they are a contender, Carolina probably low balled him but gave him term, We sent him photos of Dougie Hamilton and Jack Hughes with a picture of the Rock raising his eyebrow.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Do we circle back and look into kerfoot as a possible 3c? You know that would just be another Johnsson for Anderson type trade.

I doubt the Leafs move Kerfoot after having McCann plucked from them.

It was always going to be either one of them as their 3C. Acquiring McCann was just insurance to make sure they didn't get totally screwed.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
If you like to evaluate someone’s worth based of stats only, that’s fine, I rather look at the entire picture.

If he’s such a great asset, explain to me why he was a healthy scratch in back to back runs by the Knights and the Habs?

NHL coaches never make bad or weird decisions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad