GDT: Devils @ Flames - 10:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Because if something is next to worthless, saying “I wish he were better at it” reads as trying to bag an elite player just to do it rather than a meaningful criticism about his game.

There are some legitimate critiques to be made about Jack (none of which I think are super important), but faceoffs should still only probably be maybe 12th on that list

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
We're not even in the same stratosphere here. Most centers struggling early with faceoffs are in the 40-44% range.

He's been a consistent career 35% with absolutely zero improvement. You'll be hard pressed to find a decent center in the league close to that.

First 4 years

MacKinnon - 46.5%
McDavid - 42.8%
Hughes - 35.3%

Those two also consistently improved over that time. Jack has not.
Irrelevant part of the game has you this torn up. It’s ridiculous

Reactions: Hisch13r

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Because if something is next to worthless, saying “I wish he were better at it” reads as trying to bag an elite player just to do it rather than a meaningful criticism about his game.

There are some legitimate critiques to be made about Jack (none of which I think are super important), but faceoffs should still only probably be maybe 12th on that list
There is a big difference between "this statement reads as" and "I read this statement as."

Literally not what was said at all, but I expect no less from this board.
From what I read, you are not the hypothetical maniac.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Important to mention that we’re near the top of the league in team FO%. So not exactly an issue right now.
So maybe they are important?

giphy.gif

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The entire conversation is nitpicky as it started with saying he shouldn't be a center because of his faceoff numbers. The vast majority of shifts do not start on faceoffs.
This is especially true for Hughes, because Ruff juggles the lineup so he's not out there for many faceoffs.

It's less true for everyone else. For certain players on the Devils, like Nico and Mcleod, it's actually been false in recent years, because again, Ruff juggles the lineup.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
One thing I don't think we've talked about is Markstrom kicking the net off the pegs twice intentionally, and almost getting it a third time. Can we send a tape somewhere and get him suspended for next game? I was really pissed after the first one.
Savy veteran move lol.

An AHL goalie, David Leggio, dislodged the net on a 2-on-0 because he preferred facing the penalty shot (which he saved lol).

Because of that the AHL then changed the rule to include an ejection of the goalie for Unsportsmanlike Conduct as well as awarding a penalty shot.

Here’s a compilation of goalies dislodging the net including the classic Hank vs Pens when he rage flings it after not getting a whistle.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It would be better if Hughes were better at faceoffs, but he still wins 31% of them. I do think he's good at figuring out what to do after losing a faceoff, and I have a suspicion that he loses some faceoffs intentionally to get a good start on pressuring the puck, wherever it's going.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Savy veteran move lol.

An AHL goalie, David Leggio, dislodged the net on a 2-on-0 because he preferred facing the penalty shot (which he saved lol).

Because of that the AHL then changed the rule to include an ejection of the goalie for Unsportsmanlike Conduct as well as awarding a penalty shot.

Here’s a compilation of goalies dislodging the net including the classic Hank vs Pens when he rage flings it after not getting a whistle.

I haven't yet watched the compilation video, but one that really sticks out that didn't get more coverage (maybe it did in Russia) was when Quick appeared to knock the net off in an olympic game in 2014. I think it was against Russia. It might have been in that game where Oshie scored all those shootout goals. I remember it really stayed under the radar, but I was surprised it didn't get talked about more.

Reactions: Guttersniped

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
i fully agree.

but without the bobby orr sillyness he doesn't score the tying goal against the rangers.

that said, i wouldn't mind to give bahl/okhotyuk some ice time with hamilton, marino and severson before the trade deadline. i could see a graves trade to have little to no impact on the result and we could our investment (2nd +) back.

Without the sillyness, we would not be in that situation to begin with.

Just saw you wrote Rangers...did you mean the Oilers?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
God what a snipe that was, maybe he’s the sniper we need all along lol
He definitely had a bunch of PP one timer goals in Utica last year from that side of the ice.

And I think eventually we want a righty who is proficient in this regards on the PP1(maybe less important with Hughes on the Right wall and a Bratt on the left).

The thought was Holtz would be that guy eventually, but it very well could be Zetterlund.

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad