GDT: Devils @ Flames - 10:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
6zqbgh.gif

Giphy seems to be having issues today, so here's a lower quality version.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
No matter how you feel about Faceoffs, you just can't have a guy playing center who wins 33%.
With 3 good faceoff guys on the team, they can hide him pretty well. Whether that be via playing him with Haula or maybe Mercer, or just not starting his shift with a faceoff, and even less with a defensive zone faceoff.

Of his 200+ 5v5 shifts this year, he's started just 6 shifts with a defensive zone draw, and I'd bet he didn't take the draw in all 6 of those.

McLeod has started 31 5v5 shifts in the d-zone, and Nico 26.

All situation Nico has taken 230 faceoffs. Haula 160. McLeod 130. Hughes 72.

Boq and Mercer have combined for 76.

It makes Ruff manage a bit, but he's done a good job of minimizing Hughes's weakness on the dots.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We've easily been the most impressive team in the division other than maybe Carolina. I think we're either 3rd or 4th in the league in winning percentage and it's well-earned. No fluke, at least not with the way we've been playing.

I'm not at all buying the Flyers hype, though I am certainly buying how bad the Senators have been. They got way too much credit for their offseason. Buffalo is probably doing what the Sens were ''Expected'' to do.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
Why not? The guy still dominated play each of the last 2 years while getting crushed on draws. It's clearly not having any real impact on the game for him.
Because it impacts the way we build the team moving forward. At what point do we just admit he's a winger and actually get him someone decent to play with?

I'd rather see Bratt back with Nico and Jack is way too good for Haula.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
You guys i had so much fun at the Canuck tonight in Manhattan! I wore my Nico jersey and it drew a bunch of Devs fans to me and were high-fivin each others when we scored, chanting lets go devils!!! Best time of my life in a bar!! 6/6 on the trip!!!!! Wtfffff!!!!

Youre not allowed back. These are the rules.

3169FF9E-92A6-4AC4-9FEE-EAD835DC495E.gif

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
We've easily been the most impressive team in the division other than maybe Carolina. I think we're either 3rd or 4th in the league in winning percentage and it's well-earned. No fluke, at least not with the way we've been playing.

I'm not at all buying the Flyers hype, though I am certainly buying how bad the Senators have been. They got way too much credit for their offseason. Buffalo is probably doing what the Sens were ''Expected'' to do.
I’m actually glad Philly is doing some winning. What a shame it would be if Hart pulls a Cory and prevents a horrible team from getting a generational player.

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
Because it impacts the way we build the team moving forward. At what point do we just admit he's a winger and actually get him someone decent to play with?

He’s not a winger. There’s more to a center than faceoffs. The way jack sees the ice and controls play is strictly a center thing. We’ve tried him at wing numerous times and he’s sucked.

Being focused on faceoffs is asinine

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He’s not a winger. There’s more to a center than faceoffs. The way jack sees the ice and controls play is strictly a center thing. We’ve tried him at wing numerous times and he’s sucked.

Being focused on faceoffs is asinine
You can make that point without the asinine part.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Seriously man. What horrible timing.
It could be corner moment for organization.

And really I can’t imagine how this man feel about it.

Dostoevsky was involved in social terroristic organization. He was caught and sentenced to be shot. He and his accomplices were put up for execution, after the announcement of the command to shoot, the shooters cocked their weapons, they should make a shot, but after officere read out a pardon. Once of the condemned Grigoriev went mad.

As I remember DevilsDoggo was a fan from his 11yo and as I understand that’s a lot of years, because he invested money like he said. He listened great ”stories“ from fans about rebuild and second rebuild. In the time when team was achiving worser and worser results. How can we talk about being better when the results were worser.
But as Dostoevsky said - to start rising, you need to fall to the very bottom. And then push off.

It’s look like notorious @RangerDoggo is Grigoriev in this history.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

McDavid is 46.7% over his career.
MacKinnon is 46% over his career.

Yea Hughes is worse than this, he's also a much smaller guy and will gain strength over time. I doubt he is ever a top end faceoff player, but he'll get closer to that range.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
I want to know examples of young centers that stayed bad at face offs for the entirety of their career, let alone a star player. Just seems like something that will progress over time.
We're not even in the same stratosphere here. Most centers struggling early with faceoffs are in the 40-44% range.

He's been a consistent career 35% with absolutely zero improvement. You'll be hard pressed to find a decent center in the league close to that.

McDavid is 46.7% over his career.
MacKinnon is 46% over his career.

Yea Hughes is worse than this, he's also a much smaller guy and will gain strength over time. I doubt he is ever a top end faceoff player, but he'll get closer to that range.

First 4 years

MacKinnon - 46.5%
McDavid - 42.8%
Hughes - 35.3%

Those two also consistently improved over that time. Jack has not.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I’m 100% confident that Vitek Vanecek is the best goalie in the organization.

Now, that could either be our blessing or that could be our curse.

I’m not sold on him being a particularly good starting goalie either, but I am extremely confident that he’s the best goalie in the organization at this current time.

That could either be a strength or a downfall and weakness. We’re gonna have to keep tuning in to find out.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
We're not even in the same stratosphere here. Most centers struggling early with faceoffs are in the 40-44% range.

He's been a consistent career 35% with absolutely zero improvement. You'll be hard pressed to find a decent center in the league close to that.

First 4 years

MacKinnon - 46.5%
McDavid - 42.8%
Hughes - 35.3%

Those two also consistently improved over that time. Jack has not.
McDavid went 41% to 43% back to 41% in his first 3 years. Jack’s shoulder probably impacted his faceoffs last year. He’s taken 60 something draws this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad