Confirmed with Link: Devils Fire Lindy Ruff - Travis Green is an Interim

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
And not for nothing but the worst case scenario is in play - make a run to come up just short of the playoffs and hire Green as a result…another reason I’m not popping champagne

Yep, I’ve been voicing my fears for a bit now.

Ruff obviously needed to go, but at this point, I preferred the offseason.

Ohh well. I hope Fitz doesn’t get in some honeymoon phase with Green.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Do you count Naz? Making it THREE coaches the Hughes have fired?

This is looking more Sabres-Eichel-ish every day.

So Travis Green is the solution?
You had to know this was gonna bring some of the strange faces back out of the woodwork.

Like the zombie apocalypse brings hordes out.

This is just ''Everything that guy just said is bullshit'' territory. My phone is plugged in, so I can't post the meme.

Nas was nothing more than an interim. He does NOT count. If Hughes got Nas fired then why the hell did they put him back in the assistant position after the fact? Because Jack Hughes didn't want him to be head coach, but said it was okay for him to be assistant coach again? Or did Jack get him fired as an assistant in 2022? Because the assistant coaching turnover ratio around the league is pretty f***in high.

Hynes and Hughes were here at the same time for barely more than a minute.

Lindy Ruff's coaching tenure with us was longer than the current league average. He was the sixth longest tenured head coach in the league an hour ago. Or maybe even fifth longest tenured? None of the other longer tenured have missed the playoffs 3 out of 4 years with their current team, although Don Granato right behind him was even worse with 0 playoff misses in 3 full seasons.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Everyone wanted Lindy gone, good luck now. They're due for a regression bounce and Travis Green is going to benefit from it. If he goes 15-5 (unlikely, but possible) and just misses the playoffs with momentum for getting the full time job, remember that you asked for this.

• Haha
Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
So a very quick 5min overview of what an absolute joke this team is right now using the brief highlights from today's game. I could do a more in depth review of why I've always hated Ruff and his one trick pony "system", but frankly, it isn't worth the time. Warning: Horrific hockey below. Like stuff a good beer league team wouldn't do, no exaggeration.

1) Everyone's favorite powerplay - 14:41 of 1st period - No, in the top of the screen, Jack isn't going for a change. He initially has the puck with no one around him, but also no option to shoot or pass, aside from point. He goes back to the point, who then cycles to Bratt. During this time Jack inexplicably coasts out to the blueline.
View attachment 828920
Bratt plays Nico, who isn't at all in a quick release position. What in the hell is this?? Nico has no options and loafs a shot at the goal (praying for Toffoli rebound) that is easily directed away by the goalie. Why are 3 players near the blue line???? This has happened all season mind you, with no changes. Apparently the staff and front office don't watch tape.
View attachment 828927

2) The absolute muffin Daws lets in for #2 - just note the horrificly condensed positioning of all 5 Devils for later. The Mite's on Ice have better spacing during intermissions.
View attachment 828932

3) 15 seconds left in 1st - Kings have puck pinned to side board - just like above, look how congested the Devs are. You lose that board battle (they do), and you are giving up a solid opportunity every time

View attachment 828939
4) Toffoli's Turnovers half off special - 3rd goal - A mind numbing decision made by Toffoli, but why have we seen countless (often unforced) turnovers at the blueline by this team? Well, if you are sensing a theme by now, it's all about positioning, the options you have, and what your opponent has to worry about as high risk. There is literally no one to pass to. Even worse, no one is even moving to an area they could possibly receive the puck!
View attachment 828942

I've loathed how this team plays structurally for parts of last year and all of this year. It isn't defensible. It isn't NHL caliber. And it isn't fixable with the current leadership.
Pro: Ruff finally gone, as expected. Fitz had no choice now.

Con: Likely too little, too late

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Everyone wanted Lindy gone, good luck now. They're due for a regression bounce and Travis Green is going to benefit from it. If he goes 15-5 (unlikely, but possible) and just misses the playoffs with momentum for getting the full time job, remember that you asked for this.
People ‘asked for this’ a lot sooner, having Green take over with just enough time for a junktime new coach surge isn’t exactly ideal

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
hard disagree

his system is absolutely perfect for this roster IMO

what the hell does this even mean..............................?

That the meanies in Newark booing Lindy don't deserve good hockey lmfao.

As a season ticket holder across both arenas the only reason anyone even member berries about that dump is because we actually won cups there. Literally everything about Newark is better. Including the attendance, even more so that the team has sucked the vast majority of the time in Newark.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I always wanted to wait until the offseason. I think this was merely a mercy firing ahead of the homestand, which will be very hostile if he was still behind the bench.

Reactions: NJDevs26

The Grinder

No Respect
Oct 17, 2008
Jefferson, NJ
Biggest “win” of the season here.

Will always think fondly of last year and thank him for his part in developing the guys that made strides under him.

It was time about a month ago.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Lmao Green isn't getting a record like that with our schedule

Reactions: Bleedred

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
He had to go, expect an uptick in goals scored and positive attitude by the team overall. Dead cat bounce 🐈‍⬛

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad