Proposal: Devils & Ducks

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I wouldn't judge Zacha based off his recent healthy scratches. Hynes and Shero have been preaching "education," harping that sometimes taking a seat and watching from above can be as beneficial as learning on the ice. Severson and Mueller got the same treatment.
I think the point was that you wouldn't move someone like Vatanen for that guy. You'd move him for someone that is going to fill an immediate need, as opposed to someone that might do that someday.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I think the point was that you wouldn't move someone like Vatanen for that guy. You'd move him for someone that is going to fill an immediate need, as opposed to someone that might do that someday.
I disagree. We can either trade Vats for a center who fills that need immediately like you said, but that player will be older and have a more expensive contract. Or we move him for someone who is younger, cheaper, who we have to take a chance that they can fill an immediate need (Zacha). We're better off trying to get the younger, cheaper player and hoping he fills the need. Vats alone is not going to get us a young, cheap, NHL regular center (not even sure who that player would be).

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I disagree. We can either trade Vats for a center who fills that need immediately like you said, but that player will be older and have a more expensive contract. Or we move him for someone who is younger, cheaper, who we have to take a chance that they can fill an immediate need (Zacha). We're better off trying to get the younger, cheaper player and hoping he fills the need. Vats alone is not going to get us a young, cheap, NHL regular center (not even sure who that player would be).
No that isn't the case. Even a younger and cheaper player will have to be one that fills an immediate need. We are in win now mode, collecting shiny new mystery boxes isn't the object of that.

Sami isn't going to get you a replacement for Getzlaf. He absolutely can get you an NHL center. You are way off on that.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

I wouldn't count Zacha out as far as filling an immediate need. He may not be a meaty acquisition like Kesler, for example, was for the Ducks, but he's smart in his own zone, and makes some smart, skilled plays on offense. The points will come. Plus, he's cost-controlled.

Again, I wouldn't read too much into the healthy scratching. It has been a point of controversy on our board for days now. Zacha is very much an NHL player, with tremendous upside.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I wouldn't count Zacha out as far as filling an immediate need. He may not be a meaty acquisition like Kesler, for example, was for the Ducks, but he's smart in his own zone, and makes some smart, skilled plays on offense. The points will come. Plus, he's cost-controlled.

Again, I wouldn't read too much into the healthy scratching. It has been a point of controversy on our board for days now. Zacha is very much an NHL player, with tremendous upside.
I would. He has growing pains that he needs to be worked through. That makes him a poor fit for us. It really doesn't matter what the consensus about his future is on the Devils board.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
No that isn't the case. Even a younger and cheaper player will have to be one that fills an immediate need. We are in win now mode, collecting shiny new mystery boxes isn't the object of that.

Sami isn't going to get you a replacement for Getzlaf. He absolutely can get you an NHL center. You are way off on that.
I'm not saying he can't get us an NHL center, he can, it just what kind of center. What kind of center are you wanting for Vats? Because I guarantee he is not worth a young center who's already an impact forward. And do we really need to be adding an older player with a cap hit similar to Vats or more? I thought the point in moving on from Vats was to fill a need but also to shed some salary?

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I'm not saying he can't get us an NHL center, he can, it just what kind of center. What kind of center are you wanting for Vats? Because I guarantee he is not worth a young center who's already an impact forward. And do we really need to be adding an older player with a cap hit similar to Vats or more? I thought the point in moving on from Vats was to fill a need but also to shed some salary?
Adding an older player with a similar cap hit to Vatanen's is not an issue. I don't know where you got that from. Further, adding a player having less of an impact than Derek Grant isn't doing anything to improve this team. Even if you move him to left wing, he'd still be struggling to displace anyone. Being better than Grant is the only 'impact' that this player needs to have.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Adding an older player with a similar cap hit to Vatanen's is not an issue. I don't know where you got that from. Further, adding a player having less of an impact than Derek Grant isn't doing anything to improve this team. Even if you move him to left wing, he'd still be struggling to displace anyone. Being better than Grant is the only 'impact' that this player needs to have.
My own opinion is it's an issue, we have a ton of money tied up to our older forwards, we are team that needs impact players on cheap contracts. So just moving money from one position to another isn't going to help our cap hit situation. Our team is getting older, we have no one who is NHL ready to fill in for guys like Getz and Kes; we're seeing that now with Grant now our 1C. We don't know when Steel will be ready and outside of that none of our forward prospects are guaranteed NHLers. Zacha is young, cheap, and NHL ready. He most certainly would be an upgrade over Grant, and would easily be an upgrade over Vermette on the 3C when Getz and Kes come back. Rakell-Zacha-Kase could be a great a offensive 3rd line for a playoff team.

All that said, I don't see the Devil's actually moving Zacha anyways, so the point is kinda moot I guess.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Zacha is young, cheap, and NHL ready. He most certainly would be an upgrade over Grant, and would easily be an upgrade over Vermette on the 3C when Getz and Kes come back. Rakell-Zacha-Kase could be a great a offensive 3rd line for a playoff team.

All that said, I don't see the Devil's actually moving Zacha anyways, so the point is kinda moot I guess.
That is entirely speculation. He most certainly is not outperforming Grant at the moment. That is not something that is happening in reality.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
That is entirely speculation. He most certainly is not outperforming Grant at the moment. That is not something that is happening in reality.
I mean, if you think the 27 year old who is having a career year, a whole 10 points in 18 games, who is having a incredible hot streak is better to have going forward than the 20 year old with 5 points in 15 games (who according to Devils fans is taking on a tougher role he's not ready for just in his second season), then that's you're opinion. I completely disagree with it.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I mean, if you think the 27 year old who is having a career year, a whole 10 points in 18 games, who is having a incredible hot streak is better to have going forward than the 20 year old with 5 points in 15 games (who according to Devils fans is taking on a tougher role he's not ready for just in his second season), then that's you're opinion. I completely disagree with it.
He is better to have right now. That's what matters. I don't care what he's going to be next year or the year after. We're in win-now mode. Any trade of Vatanen for speculation needs to wait for the summer. It's an abysmal strategy for this season.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
It says on capfriendly that Sami is a LD. Can he play both sides?

He's playing left D right now because we're loaded with RD (Vatanen, Montour, Manson, Bieksa, Holzer) and we're without Fowler. Can he play the left side? yes, but he's much better on his natural side.

He is better to have right now. That's what matters. I don't care what he's going to be next year or the year after. We're in win-now mode. Any trade of Vatanen for speculation needs to wait for the summer. It's an abysmal strategy for this season.

I agree with this. If Vatanen is traded, it's got to be something that makes us better right now. I like Zacha, and this is something I'd consider, but I'd rather trade Larsson+ (depending on + of course) for him. I have no doubt that Vatanen goes before next season starts, but that's really a trade that should wait for the offseason. I think Murray wants Vatanen's value to increase because our defense will be very stacked when healthy, allowing Vatanen to focus more on his offensive game.

I think we'll see some upgrade happen by trading futures. Then Vats will be traded in the offseason for a package of future pieces.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Guess I don't really see it as speculation, since having Zacha is an upgrade over Grant despite his hot streak. I'd rather we upgrade our forward group while also looking towards the future, which is what someone like Zacha would do. I suggested moving Larsson+ for Zacha instead anyways, then just move Vats for futures in the offseason. But if we end up moving Vats for someone like Zacha, I'm not going to be upset about it.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think Larsson for zacha might be the right trade for both teams.

we can always move vatanen in the off-season or someone desperate at the deadline.
I think moving Larsson is the wrong move, id rather move vatanen and give Larsson the 3rd pairing duties.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
It's not really a matter of perspective so much as a matter of facts.
By that logic, Grant is a better than Marcus Johansson, Victor Rask, Patrick Sharp, Andre Burakovsky, and a boat load of other players, I only mentioned established players with 5 points so far. Suggesting a 27 year old with 104 games in his career with a total of 17 points (10 points from this season alone) is better than the 20 year with 86 career games and 31 career points is better because of hot streak is short-sided.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
By that logic, Grant is a better than Marcus Johansson, Victor Rask, Patrick Sharp, Andre Burakovsky, and a boat load of other players, I only mentioned established players with 5 points so far. Suggesting a 27 year old with 104 games in his career with a total of 17 points (10 points from this season alone) is better than the 20 year with 86 career games and 31 career points is better because of hot streak is short-sided.
Except those players actually have a record of playing better than that in the past. Zacha hasn't achieved that yet.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Except those players actually have a record of playing better than that in the past. Zacha hasn't achieved that yet.
Yet he's has a history of playing better than Grant in one season than Grant has in 6. But that doesn't matter because Grant is having a hot streak right now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad