Proposal: Devils & Ducks

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
Really? Butcher, Greene, Moore and Mueller and it's another lefty you'd want? I find that odd.

This would probably be more of an off-season trade, therefore, Moore is an UFA and Butcher has the ability to play the right side. Also, Greene is aging so playing him in top pairing minutes is not going to last long and he is an UFA in a few years.

What I would like to see Next year is:

xxx - Santini
Greene - Severson
Muller - Butcher

Severson and Santini can be flipped, but the Devils have been giving Santini the tough minutes and he's crunching a lot of them. The Devils need a top pairing, two way LHD.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Really? Butcher, Greene, Moore and Mueller and it's another lefty you'd want? I find that odd.
As mentioned a few times, Greene's retiring in the next few years, Moore is such a defensive pariah that most will happily see his points gone for someone more overall sound, Mueller is unknown and Butcher is more comfortable on the right. I hope you no longer find this odd :D

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think I pull the trigger.

Our left side is the bigger issue. Severson (newly extended), Santini, and Butcher appear to be our unit for the right side for the foreseeable future. If I'm moving Zacha, it has to be for a top-4 LD with upside. Think Brodin.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Also, Zacha isn't really a "gamble." He's a good player today, with the upside of becoming great.

Especially with Zajac out, Zacha has been expected to grab the bull by the horns. He hasn't really done that, but that isn't a knock on him as a player. He's 20 years old with plenty of room and time to grow.

The tools and talent are all there. He just needs to get some reps (given his recent scratching, this likely only happens in the AHL) to get his confidence up. Once he establishes himself, he'll be a force.

I'm by no means in a rush to trade him.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada

Our left side is the bigger issue. Severson (newly extended), Santini, and Butcher appear to be our unit for the right side for the foreseeable future. If I'm moving Zacha, it has to be for a top-4 LD with upside. Think Brodin.

You'd have to add to Zacha for a top4-LD though?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Realistically this never happens, but I still don't totally hate the idea of an offseason deal around Brodin and Zacha. I know a big part of that is just "ooo shiny young center" syndrome on my part.

I agree that the Devils shouldn't be aiming lower than that though.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I'm sorry but I don't think the Ducks are in win now mode based on their injuries and recent playoff success.
So a team that just made the WCF twice in the last 3 years who has the same core is no longer in a playoff run because of injuries? Let's just ignore the season where this team couldn't score a damn goal for 2 months, but still ended up the division leaders.

I'm sorry, but you have zero idea what you're talking about.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
I'm sorry but I don't think the Ducks are in win now mode based on their injuries and recent playoff success.

All we have to do is hope Gibson & Miller keep giving us a chance and we hang around the wildcard contention until Getz/Kes/Fowler are back so we can squeeze into the playoffs. We are definitely still in win-now mode.

We were arguably a Gibson injury away from having a decent chance of beating Nashville in that Game 7 and making the SCF. Not a sure bet, but a better chance.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Also, Zacha isn't really a "gamble." He's a good player today, with the upside of becoming great.

Especially with Zajac out, Zacha has been expected to grab the bull by the horns. He hasn't really done that, but that isn't a knock on him as a player. He's 20 years old with plenty of room and time to grow.

The tools and talent are all there. He just needs to get some reps (given his recent scratching, this likely only happens in the AHL) to get his confidence up. Once he establishes himself, he'll be a force.

I'm by no means in a rush to trade him.

Don't forget, if Zacha doesn't score 20G this season he is a bust lol.... this is HF!

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
If we were going to trade him for a ( idk if this is the right word but it seems like the best description) disappointing fwd then I would rather go for Reinhart.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

I'm sorry but you've clearly demonstrated that you don't know what you're talking about. Good teams don't give up on their season in November due to injuries, and the Ducks have been a top team for years.

Which leads into my other point, what are you talking about in regards to lack of playoff success? How many teams can you be that have won more playoff rounds than the Ducks in the last 5 years? It's a short list.

Finally, what about this idea suggested that it was a win now move for Anaheim? Clearly they are giving up the most established talent here in exchange for upside and cap relief. No offense but your reply was quite strange to say the least.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
I think the devils are giving up too much something around vatanen for Henrique makes more sense

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
While the value isn't too bad Vatanen is not who the Devils need, especially if it means moving Zacha.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Butcher and Mueller are both fully capable of playing RD. On the right side, Devils have Severson and Santini in the top-four and at this point, those two just need to play and learn. On the left side, Moore is a trainwreck as a 2LD. Butcher has looked very strong in a sheltered, offensive rule as 3LD. Mueller was stepping up prior to his injury as well.

Devils biggest need is a 2LD that they can pair with Severson, Santini, or Mueller after Greene that can be reliable and let them play their game. Whoever plays with Moore is carrying him right now:

Greene - Severson
2LD - Santini
Butcher - Mueller
Prout/Lovejoy

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
While the value isn't too bad Vatanen is not who the Devils need, especially if it means moving Zacha.

I'm not sure Zacha is who the Ducks need either to be honest. I'm failing to see how trading Vatanen for a guy that's been a healthy scratch several times already this year helps.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I'm not sure Zacha is who the Ducks need either to be honest. I'm failing to see how trading Vatanen for a guy that's been a healthy scratch several times already this year helps.

To be fair, he wouldn't be a healthy scratch on the Ducks. With the way the season is going, he probably wouldn't even be the healthy part long :laugh: :(

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Zacha would be great, but I don`t think I would like to give up Vatanen who is also a big part of our PP and PK.

I haven`t watched Zacha much, I admit, but the goals I have seen from him are more opportunistic and I haven`t seen him creating much offensively himself (correct me if I`m wrong). That leads me to question, would he be even that much of an upgrade to Derek Grant, for us now, lol. I`m hesitant to give up Vatanen for him.

I wish something could have been done around Larsson (LHD which I read is NJD need) who was basically NHL ready last year but now is stuck in the AHL where at least he can play big minutes and as we have plenty of veterans signed to take a spot (Bieksa, Beauchemin, Holzer) and Megna would have to go through Waivers I believe. I will remind that despite being much younger Larsson beat both Theodore and Montour for an opening night roster last year.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

I wouldn't judge Zacha based off his recent healthy scratches. Hynes and Shero have been preaching "education," harping that sometimes taking a seat and watching from above can be as beneficial as learning on the ice. Severson and Mueller got the same treatment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad