Post-Game Talk: Devils drop trou at Pittsburgh. Turn your head and cough edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
You don't pay $5.8M for a 40-45 point defensive player. There's no shortage of players in this league for far less who can put up that many points (especially if on the first line) and play "good defense". I'm tired of that excuse. Game in and game out I see time and time again this guy just doesn't have the skill set to be a dominant forward.

He hasn't had a horrible game. He's had a horrible 2-3 seasons now.

And yes I'm probably over reacting but this still **** this team and management. (and yes I'm still a Devils fan that's why I'm so ****ing upset)

The Zajac excuses have to stop. He isn't that far off from Clarkson ineptitude. Just watch the guy play. He's invisible most of the games while playing on the first line.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
The Zajac excuses have to stop. He isn't that far off from Clarkson ineptitude. Just watch the guy play. He's invisible most of the games while playing on the first line.

Clarkson is someone that would 100% be a buyout if his contract wasn't structured the way it is (buyout providing no real cap relief). Zajac is someone that's overpaid, but not near buyout-worthy level over paid. Saying, effectively, that "he is what he is" is not making excuses. It's being rational.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Ya, the idea of rotating JJ should be shelved for the time being. Especially for the likes of Too too.

That's just not realistic. JJ has played his way into being a regular part of the rotation at the moment, but he doesn't provide the sandpaper that Tootoo does. Sometimes we're going to want that. Just look at how many calls there were for the Devils to "do something, anything" to show they cared last night. That's never happening if Tootoo's in the line-up.

I'm impressed with JJ. I disagree with whoever said he looks the same as he did last year. His forechecking and general willingness to engage seems improved. Success on the PK is also big. The Devils clearly need more forwards who can put time / effort into the PK. Gio gets a lot of PK time because he's doesn't also play on the powerplay. IMO, it's one reason Pete hasn't been able to take Gio out - who takes Gio's PK time? If you give it to Cammy, Zajac, Elias or Henrique, their minutes really start to pile up. JJ seems to be answering the bell, which I think can give Pete more roster flexibility.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Clarkson is someone that would 100% be a buyout if his contract wasn't structured the way it is (buyout providing no real cap relief). Zajac is someone that's overpaid, but not near buyout-worthy level over paid. Saying, effectively, that "he is what he is" is not making excuses. It's being rational.

I wonder if Winnipeg would be interested in their hometown son...

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
After last night I am kind of hoping we blow it and end up with McDavid, he looks unbelievable in the juniors and adding him would completely turn around our future. We have some great young defensemen, some quality goalies prospects (I still have faith in Schneider too), but our future at forward is pretty bleak. Add him and this team could really do some damage in a couple of years. Do it Lou!

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
Well, I guess it was about time for me to make a user account to this site. The way the Devils lost this game is just a perfect excuse for that. This seems like a good place to voice my opinions/thoughts about this team.

I think it was a good game all the way up to that 5-on-3 powerplay. Lucky-ish goal by Zubrus to start the game, fourth line contributing (finally! also Josefson really looks like he wants to keep himself in the lineup), posts hit by Zajac and Zidlicky... etc. The meltdown was awful to watch since I really thought they might have this game, but hey, what was I expecting? How does Craig Adams get a breakaway and how is he able to score on it? I think it is needless to say anything about the penalties. The powerplay was (yet again) atrocious since they can't even gain the offensive zone despite being a man up, PK continues to be nonexistent, Cory not playing up to the expectations. I mean, am I supposed to be watching the Devils? If there is a system, they are not operating it. Deboer's coaching decisions at times have been... should I say surprising? I mean c'mon, he obviously plays his favorites more in situations they shouldn't be played. You would have to be blind to not see it. Zubrus on the first line is a perfect example of that. I'd rather see someone a little more faster and skilled there. Heck, even Ruutu would fill that spot better. Atleast we got a glimpse of Boucher, though he didn't have a lot of chances or ice time. He didn't seem to shy away from the physical play which is a good thing in my opinion. Really interested in seeing what kind of a player he develops into.

Sorry about the minor offtopic, had to just unload the things that first came to my mind.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
That's just not realistic. JJ has played his way into being a regular part of the rotation at the moment, but he doesn't provide the sandpaper that Tootoo does. Sometimes we're going to want that. Just look at how many calls there were for the Devils to "do something, anything" to show they cared last night. That's never happening if Tootoo's in the line-up.

I'm impressed with JJ. I disagree with whoever said he looks the same as he did last year. His forechecking and general willingness to engage seems improved. Success on the PK is also big. The Devils clearly need more forwards who can put time / effort into the PK. Gio gets a lot of PK time because he's doesn't also play on the powerplay. IMO, it's one reason Pete hasn't been able to take Gio out - who takes Gio's PK time? If you give it to Cammy, Zajac, Elias or Henrique, their minutes really start to pile up. JJ seems to be answering the bell, which I think can give Pete more roster flexibility.

who says he has to replace the fourth line guys he should replace one of the top nine guys that is not producing.. so far the only good line has been the 4th line which is also the only line debeor has had the balls to call out

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

he is a decent player playing a role he shouldn't be playing..and making too much money to do it... I think he has trade value to the right team even at his current salary

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
I wonder if Winnipeg would be interested in their hometown son...

No one is taking Zajac with what's left on that deal. He's still owed $35mil AFTER this year. The devils will have to take money back for sure. That's the problem with these contracts that have been signed. They are horrible deals that have made this team basically a max cap team with a very low talent base. It's actually some accomplishment to field as skilled a team as the Lou has and spent as much money for it. LOL!

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
No one is taking Zajac with what's left on that deal. He's still owed $35mil AFTER this year. The devils will have to take money back for sure. That's the problem with these contracts that have been signed. They are horrible deals that have made this team basically a max cap team with a very low talent base. It's actually some accomplishment to field as skilled a team as the Lou has and spent as much money for it. LOL!

I'd say the contracts to Clowe, Ryder, Zubrus, Salvador, and Ruutu (although he was traded for) are much more the problem than the maybe .75-1 million less that I'd prefer for Zajac.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

don't disagree: although the team is in way better position trade wise to pull off a deal than it has been in past. all of the defenseman have tradeable contracts and of the forwards I would say only clowe and elias and are untradeable contracts. as much as we hate zajac contract he is still young enough and has enough game where maybe a team with a real problem at center would take that bait. that all being said there are tradeable players and lou either needs to make the trade and or get a new head coach or both.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I'd say the contracts to Clowe, Ryder, Zubrus, Salvador, and Ruutu (although he was traded for) are much more the problem than the maybe .75-1 million less that I'd prefer for Zajac.

ryder is done after this year so his contract is tradeable.
clowe is devil for life
whats left on zubrus?
Salvador, devil for life
rutuu tradeable contract but he is least of our worries

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
he is a decent player playing a role he shouldn't be playing..and making too much money to do it... I think he has trade value to the right team even at his current salary

a team with a couple good centers may take a peek at zajac. but the problem is where does that leave the devils at the center ice positon....what a **** show

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown

You cannot discount the long term disadvantage a team will take on if they traded for Zajac. They are going to be on the hook for at least $36 mil for a player that is slipping already and is in the prime years of his career. It becomes a risk reward proposition. Think of what kind of player he will be 3 years from now when that team will be PAYING him $6.5 mil per. Ouch!

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Vancouver fan in peace here. Cory handling the puck was always an... "adventure" when he was with us. With AV, he would usually stop it behind the net and let the defender take it up the ice.

A few points I can chime in on as a Vancouver fan, if you'd like.

Thanks guys, for your input. I think your analysis is spot on with what we've seen of Cory. I'm guardedly optimistic that he's one of our lesser worries coming out of the funk we're in, but only time will tell.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
- Never put Cory in a position to have to play the puck. He's not Brodeur. In Vancouver, his most egregious goals (and a few of his most spectacular saves) resulted from him trying to play the puck. The Canucks haven't exactly been blessed with skilled puck-handling goalies (aside from Hedberg). Cory is not one of them and again, this will never be a strong suit of his. If a system expects him to play this puck, this will be problematic for him.

I couldn't help but blink my eyes at the Hedberg part cause he was awful playing the puck with us too lol. Maybe the system is too complicated for most goalies somehow, since Jagr referred to it being intricate like football :P

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
ryder is done after this year so his contract is tradeable.
clowe is devil for life
whats left on zubrus?
Salvador, devil for life
rutuu tradeable contract but he is least of our worries

I was more arguing the point about creating such a relatively talentless team and spending to the cap at the same time. Valuewise, those contracts are more of the type you don't see on good teams than a slightly overpaid defensive center.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
I couldn't help but blink my eyes at the Hedberg part cause he was awful playing the puck with us too lol. Maybe the system is too complicated for most goalies somehow, since Jagr referred to it being intricate like football :P

Heh. It's possible! In Vancouver the bar is set pretty low for puck handling goalies. Prior to Hedberg (who looked good when he kept it simple, and downright amazing when compared to guys like Auld, Skudra, Cloutier, Luongo, Potvin, Schneider, the list goes on) the last adequate-to-good puck handler we had was Kirk McLean.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
a team with a couple good centers may take a peek at zajac. but the problem is where does that leave the devils at the center ice positon....what a **** show

We can't really trade him unless a 1C is acquired (or a 2C if you believe Henrique can handle it).

If Josefson was bumped to the Top9, do you play him on the LW or do you make room for him at one of C positions.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Honestly, how many Devils will have over 50 points? I am guessing no more than 2. Heck even two is pushing it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Honestly, how many Devils will have over 50 points? I am guessing no more than 2. Heck even two is pushing it.

I could still see Camm/Jagr/Elias doing it, but Elias has gotta get going sooner or later. Maybe Severson could do it at this rate lol

Sik02gt

Mar 4, 2013
I could still see Camm/Jagr/Elias doing it, but Elias has gotta get going sooner or later. Maybe Severson could do it at this rate lol

im not sure about elias doing much .. he sure looks like his age has finally caught up to him this season..not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad