Post-Game Talk: Devils drop trou at Pittsburgh. Turn your head and cough edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
The team obviously isn't going to improve during the season, there are too many problems and too many contracts. We need a #1C, Henrique bumped up to 2C, at least one productive W added to the Henrique line, Elias dropped to 3C (I'd put Boucher on his left), a 4th of Ruutu-Josefson-Brunner, Salvador gone, Zubrus gone, and Clowe hopefully LTIR. I'd try to move Zajac if the Devils can pick up a better first line center. Henrique should be in the Top6 and I'd just as soon let Elias ride out his contract on the 3rd line until Quenneville is ready. Merrill still obviously has top 2-4 upside but he needs to clear his head.

Cammalleri-1C-Jagr
2LW-Henrique-2RW
Boucher-Elias-3RW
Ruutu-Josefson-Brunner

Pittsburgh is in real need of a rw. And if the Devils don't do that well the Pens might look for a move for Jagr. I am just guessing seeing a lot of Pittsburgh Pens mention him in the main thread. Don't know if his history will have a effect.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't know if Lou would do a 'help the Pens out' trade if it came to it anyway. Allegedly the Flyers offered us at least a 1 for the rotting corpse of Jamie in '11 and we didn't even do that.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I'm excited about Josefson's recent run. Yes, there are results, but I also feel that his compete level is higher than I've seen it before. Perhaps he realized he had to play a dirtier style to succeed in the NHL? Whatever it is, if he keeps this up (a big if), I could see him pushing to center the 3rd line next year.

JJ's play also creates an interesting rotation for this year. Two of JJ, Gio and Tootoo will be in. (perhaps add in Ruutu to this rotation? not sure.) Despite the Tootoo hate, there's no one else who fills his role (as we saw last night). I'd prefer he replace Gio on the wing at times, but I'm sure JJ will need to come out of the lineup at times as well.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
The team obviously isn't going to improve during the season, there are too many problems and too many contracts. We need a #1C, Henrique bumped up to 2C, at least one productive W added to the Henrique line, Elias dropped to 3C (I'd put Boucher on his left), a 4th of Ruutu-Josefson-Brunner, Salvador gone, Zubrus gone, and Clowe hopefully LTIR. I'd try to move Zajac if the Devils can pick up a better first line center. Henrique should be in the Top6 and I'd just as soon let Elias ride out his contract on the 3rd line until Quenneville is ready. Merrill still obviously has top 2-4 upside but he needs to clear his head.

Cammalleri-1C-Jagr
2LW-Henrique-2RW
Boucher-Elias-3RW
Ruutu-Josefson-Brunner

I think Brunner and Ryder need to go. I know it's unlikely until closer to the trade deadline, but those two add nothing and have never really fit the Devils philosophy or Pete's system. Brunner constantly looks like he's playing 1 - 5 (or 1 - 4 on the PP). He doesn't seem to understand what his teammates are doing / how to use them. That said, Brunner's value is the highest it's been since he signed with us, so that's at least a positive.

I'd dump Clowe and Zubrus if we could but between contract, performance and injury history, that seems unlikely. And, these guys at least fit with the idea of who we are / want to be.

My wild idea is that I'd like to see a Henrique - Gomez - Elias line. Maybe it's a couple years too late for that, but I'd like to see it at least. Gomer and Elias had great chemistry together and Henrique has the defensive chops + offensive awareness that I think it'd be interesting to see if they could produce.

Generally, I think it's time we stopped trying to "spread the wealth" on offense and instead start putting our best players together. I agree that means moving Henrique up - whether it's to wing or C is irrelevant. Trying to have "strong center depth" so far just means that we suck.

DevilinDC

Mar 22, 2014
He frigging needs to be with this team - and that is why he got the money. It's not unfair at all.

I don't get the 'let's handle him with kid gloves' sentiment.

Go out, and stop the puck, stop making boneheaded plays behind the net and giving up big rebounds.

It really is pretty simple.

This this this and this

DevilinDC

Mar 22, 2014
Would love to know the percentage that Cory stops one on one shots, including the shoot out? It must be terrible because he's the worse I've seen. He's not a big time goaltender and he has zero skill handling the puck. What did these fans in Vancouver see in this guy.

I've been saying this since last year.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Zajac is bordering on useless territory at this point, and Cory Schneider can't make a save. There is no defense or goaltending on this team right now. Josefson had a nice goal, that was the one positive - hopefully it will be the catalyst to turn his career around, I'm pulling for him.

Camille the Eel

I'm excited about Josefson's recent run. Yes, there are results, but I also feel that his compete level is higher than I've seen it before. Perhaps he realized he had to play a dirtier style to succeed in the NHL? Whatever it is, if he keeps this up (a big if), I could see him pushing to center the 3rd line next year.

JJ's play also creates an interesting rotation for this year. Two of JJ, Gio and Tootoo will be in. (perhaps add in Ruutu to this rotation? not sure.) Despite the Tootoo hate, there's no one else who fills his role (as we saw last night). I'd prefer he replace Gio on the wing at times, but I'm sure JJ will need to come out of the lineup at times as well.

Josefson's young legs - there's no substitute for youth and the jump in an athlete who doesn't have 200 thousand miles on them in sports when you are competing against other 21 year olds - the extra gear he had on the breakaway, the fast decisive moves coming in

the devils could use a hell of a lot more of that

plus Josefson looks heavier and stronger to me too

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Zajac is bordering on useless territory at this point, and Cory Schneider can't make a save. There is no defense or goaltending on this team right now. Josefson had a nice goal, that was the one positive - hopefully it will be the catalyst to turn his career around, I'm pulling for him.

what's even more distressing is knowing that we're very close to the cap. We're paying through the nose for this crap. I bet a team assembled of younger, hungry nobodies straddling above the cap floor could probably produce in the same range as this bunch.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I actually really like how Josefson has played so far this year, he's been very solid on the PK and a nice addition to the 4th line. The goal is obviously a nice bonus, but his overall play has been good lately. I want to see him play every night.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
I don't think Vancouver was asking him to play the puck for one.

As much as we hate it the Devils need to let go of this 'goalies must handle the puck in our system' mentality. Only a select few handle the puck well enough to make it an advantage, we don't have that now. We constantly turn it into a net negative by asking Cory to do something he cannot do.

Vancouver fan in peace here. Cory handling the puck was always an... "adventure" when he was with us. With AV, he would usually stop it behind the net and let the defender take it up the ice.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I thought JJ looked just as good last year, just didn't get the results.

Cory in Vancouver obviously played at a much higher level then he now is.

While his play is concerning, I'm not making any conclusions at this point.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I think Brunner and Ryder need to go. I know it's unlikely until closer to the trade deadline, but those two add nothing and have never really fit the Devils philosophy or Pete's system. Brunner constantly looks like he's playing 1 - 5 (or 1 - 4 on the PP). He doesn't seem to understand what his teammates are doing / how to use them. That said, Brunner's value is the highest it's been since he signed with us, so that's at least a positive.

I'd dump Clowe and Zubrus if we could but between contract, performance and injury history, that seems unlikely. And, these guys at least fit with the idea of who we are / want to be.

My wild idea is that I'd like to see a Henrique - Gomez - Elias line. Maybe it's a couple years too late for that, but I'd like to see it at least. Gomer and Elias had great chemistry together and Henrique has the defensive chops + offensive awareness that I think it'd be interesting to see if they could produce.

Generally, I think it's time we stopped trying to "spread the wealth" on offense and instead start putting our best players together. I agree that means moving Henrique up - whether it's to wing or C is irrelevant. Trying to have "strong center depth" so far just means that we suck.

clowe is untradeable as you pointed out, ltir is best bet, and I like ryan clowe if he was on a team where there would be no question that he was the slowest on this team he is the slowest but not by much. I agree have to insert Henrique with best wingers available. we night need a few more losses in a row before lou makes a move of any significance

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I thought JJ looked just as good last year, just didn't get the results.

Cory in Vancouver obviously played at a much higher level then he now is.

While his play is concerning, I'm not making any conclusions at this point.

I would probably be more concerned with Schneider if there were not 10 other issues with this team right now..

im pretty sure they have allowed over 30 shots in every game, what the hell happened?

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
Would love to know the percentage that Cory stops one on one shots, including the shoot out? It must be terrible because he's the worse I've seen. He's not a big time goaltender and he has zero skill handling the puck. What did these fans in Vancouver see in this guy.

A few points I can chime in on as a Vancouver fan, if you'd like.

- One on one situations. In Vancouver, Cory's shootout skills were mediocre, at best. The shootout will never be one of his strong suits. However, when it came to in-game situations involving breakaways or penalty shots, he was generally solid - average to above-average, at least. Give him time and the percentages will normalize in-game. Just don't expect much shootout improvement anytime soon.

- Never put Cory in a position to have to play the puck. He's not Brodeur. In Vancouver, his most egregious goals (and a few of his most spectacular saves) resulted from him trying to play the puck. The Canucks haven't exactly been blessed with skilled puck-handling goalies (aside from Hedberg). Cory is not one of them and again, this will never be a strong suit of his. If a system expects him to play this puck, this will be problematic for him.

-Playing deeper in his crease is a remnant of Vancouver's system. Melanson likes his goalies deep and actively changes their style to suit his philosophy. In Van's heyday it was pretty successful. Cory may have to continue to do a bit of work to adapt to a new way to play.

-Rebound control. Cory's rebound control has generally been average to above-average, and this is the difference between when he's locked in and really on his game and when he's, well, not. He'll have his battles with this from time to time for a few games, but when he's zoned in, he's great.

-PK SV% will normalize. A) The Devils' PK won't (hopefully) continue to suck, and B) his SV% will most definitely normalize. He had an ungodly high SV% in his best year with Van, and sometimes the bounces just even out. His ES SV% is probably more indicative of where he's at.

-Don't worry, the talent is there. The bottom line is this. His poor start notwithstanding, I feel I've seen enough from him through the years to not be worried about how he's doing at this immediate point in time. At his best, he's controlling rebounds, strong positionally, not worrying about playing the puck, and playing with a healthy dose of reflexive athleticism. I've seen him play at that level far more often than not. Give him time. He'll come around.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I actually really like how Josefson has played so far this year, he's been very solid on the PK and a nice addition to the 4th line. The goal is obviously a nice bonus, but his overall play has been good lately. I want to see him play every night.

at this point you would seriously have to question debeor's mental status if he scratched josefson. that would be cause for immediate dismissal his play has been solid on both sides of the puck and he is producing points.

here is my order of scratches up front when we are healthy:

1. ryder
2. clowe
3. zubrus

when havlat and cammaleri return.... take clowe and ryder out of lineup and keep boucher and josephson in the lineup now we have something that sort of resembles a team that can skate

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

next year? he has been their best player recently he should be the #1 center right now the way zajac has handled himself. there is no rotating jj if his play continues this way, he is earning a regular spot very rapidly. I will withhold my praise any further until he can do it for a long period of time but based on past 3 games there is no reason to take this man out of the lineup at all

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

I definitely think Ryder needs to go. I'd keep Brunner around if it was on the cheap and for a 4th line role.

I wouldn't be opposed to dealing off pieces at the deadline, but I was in favor of it last year only to be disappointed. I'm not expecting anything this year.

Henrique HAS to move up. He's about our best forward, after the way he ended last year and has started this one. I don't care if it's LW or C as long as we have a respectable Top6.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
next year? he has been their best player recently he should be the #1 center right now the way zajac has handled himself. there is no rotating jj if his play continues this way, he is earning a regular spot very rapidly. I will withhold my praise any further until he can do it for a long period of time but based on past 3 games there is no reason to take this man out of the lineup at all

Ya, the idea of rotating JJ should be shelved for the time being. Especially for the likes of Too too.

NJDevilsFan21

Trade Everyone!!
Nov 10, 2006
his rebound control has not been good.

It's been awful and our defense has no idea to deal with them which isn't helping. Marty was the type of goalie to direct his rebounds away from traffic so the D never really had to worry about it. We didn't give Marty enough credit. His style of play managed to help keep this suck ass team somewhat competitive.

I'm not putting this start on Cory alone at all. I've never felt so frustrated over the entire team. We've been heavily out shot this season. And our shots aren't exactly high quality scoring chances. It's a team problem. I'm not worried about Cory right now.

And right now Zajac is to the Devils what Clarkson is to Leafs. So heavily overpaid for way too long and completely useless without Parise. I'm all for trading him before other teams realize how bad he is. Maybe Minnesota can give us back something decent, because he might actually do well there.

Last edited:

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Josefson's young legs - there's no substitute for youth and the jump in an athlete who doesn't have 200 thousand miles on them in sports when you are competing against other 21 year olds - the extra gear he had on the breakaway, the fast decisive moves coming in

the devils could use a hell of a lot more of that

plus Josefson looks heavier and stronger to me too

did you see that picture of him training this summer? he got hugeeeeeee

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
It's been awful and our defense has no idea to deal with them which isn't helping. Marty was the type of goalie to direct his rebounds away from traffic so the D never really had to worry about it. We didn't give Marty enough credit. His style of play managed to help keep this suck ass team somewhat competitive.

I'm not putting this start on Cory alone at all. I've never felt so frustrated over the entire team. We've been heavily out shot this season. And our shots aren't exactly high quality scoring chances. It's a team problem. I'm not worried about Cory right now.

And right now Zajac is to the Devils what Clarkson is to Leafs. So heavily overpaid for way too long and completely useless without Parise. I'm all for trading him before other teams realize how bad he is. Maybe Minnesota can give us back something decent, because he might actually do well there.

EXTREME over reaction on Zajac. Holy crap. Clarkson is someone paid to be a scorer, with no real defensive attributes, and can't even score. Zajac is a ~40-45 point player who's great on faceoffs and is very good defensively. The two are not even in the same stratosphere as far as being overpaid. The guy has a horrible game and he's now our Clarkson :laugh:

NJDevilsFan21

Trade Everyone!!
Nov 10, 2006
EXTREME over reaction on Zajac. Holy crap. Clarkson is someone paid to be a scorer, with no real defensive attributes, and can't even score. Zajac is a ~40-45 point player who's great on faceoffs and is very good defensively. The two are not even in the same stratosphere as far as being overpaid. The guy has a horrible game and he's now our Clarkson :laugh:

You don't pay $5.8M for a 40-45 point defensive player. There's no shortage of players in this league for far less who can put up that many points (especially if on the first line) and play "good defense". I'm tired of that excuse. Game in and game out I see time and time again this guy just doesn't have the skill set to be a dominant forward.

He hasn't had a horrible game. He's had a horrible 2-3 seasons now.

And yes I'm probably over reacting but this still **** this team and management. (and yes I'm still a Devils fan that's why I'm so ****ing upset)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad