Post-Game Talk: Devils drop trou at Pittsburgh. Turn your head and cough edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
I am hoping for Henrique to get past50 points but their are so many games where I barely notice him. Cammalleri still takes shots during bad games. Jagrs name is typically mentioned since he holds on to the puck a lot. He will generate a few chances. Elias I don't know what to expect this year.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
The problem, quite simply, is that out lack of top-end talent is forcing good players to have great responsibility.

Yeah....and it's been the case since we've lost Parise and Kovy. As much as some posters who don't need to be named won't admit it, you don't win without high end talent like those guys. Also Zajac as a first line center is comical. He's a middling second line center. He's slow as molasses and has the creativity of a 4th liner on offense. Truly average player.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Lot of talk about not having 1st line talent. But scoring goals has not been our problem this season.

It's allowing goals that it is the issue.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
true and we're over .500 with crap goaltending and our "top" players asleep right now
things can only get better

Miiiiiigghht not want to make a statement like that just yet.

There is reason to be at least a bit optimistic, but the pessimism is warranted too I believe.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I have to admit, I'm a little worried about Jagr and Elias. They both look like Father Time has finally caught up with them, at least so far. I'm hoping it's just a slow start and they both get it going, but seeing how quickly the dropoff was for Selanne last year has me a little nervous it might be happening with our old guys.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.

There is reason to be at least a bit optimistic, but the pessimism is warranted too I believe.

we have the 30th ranked PK in the league, Cory has looked like Moose at the end
I guarantee these two area's get better as the season goes on
that right there will make us a better team then we are today

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
we have the 30th ranked PK in the league, Cory has looked like Moose at the end
I guarantee these two area's get better as the season goes on
that right there will make us a better team then we are today

Or the PK could stay horrid, Jagr and Elias stay flat as age has caught up with them, Severson fades as the season goes on, the PP gets worse, injuries continue to plague an injury prone lineup; the only thing I'm reasonably certain will get better is Cory. I think everything else is basically a crapshoot. Could get better, could stay the same, could get worse. I think it's good to have optimism and you are justified in doing so, but I think those with a more pessimistic outlook are just as justified.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Or the PK could stay horrid, Jagr and Elias stay flat as age has caught up with them, Severson fades as the season goes on, the PP gets worse, injuries continue to plague an injury prone lineup; the only thing I'm reasonably certain will get better is Cory. I think everything else is basically a crapshoot. Could get better, could stay the same, could get worse. I think it's good to have optimism and you are justified in doing so, but I think those with a more pessimistic outlook are just as justified.

I'll consider this year a success if we make the playoffs and thats it, and I think we can get there
next summer we can lose a bunch of the old deadweight and bring up and bring in some more "pieces" to be better that "just" a playoff team in 2015/16
it all depends on what/where you think this team should be

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I think your post is 100% and I think it would be smart for everyone who is either positive or pessimistic to watch themselves from declaring "facts" and "complete truths" on things that could really go either way.

We can all discuss and make educated guesses that the PK will get better or not. That Elias is in a slump or showing his age,etc. None of us know for certain this early what the truth and answers are.

The things that turn a season into a success or a failure is many times things fans never expected. Read any other teams board and you can see their fans complaining about similar things no matter the results (better then us or worse).

No one expected Jagr's season last year. No one expected Severson to have the start he had.

On the negative side no one expected our PK to suck this hard (even if you thought this team was doomed, no one thought the PK would be the reason), and no one expected Cory to struggle right out of the gate.

I am not ranting at you Unseen FYI. Just you made a good post that I thought was a good example.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I think your post is 100% and I think it would be smart for everyone who is either positive or pessimistic to watch themselves from declaring "facts" and "complete truths" on things that could really go either way.

We can all discuss and make educated guesses that the PK will get better or not. That Elias is in a slump or showing his age,etc. None of us know for certain this early what the truth and answers are.

The things that turn a season into a success or a failure is many times things fans never expected. Read any other teams board and you can see their fans complaining about similar things no matter the results (better then us or worse).

No one expected Jagr's season last year. No one expected Severson to have the start he had.

On the negative side no one expected our PK to suck this hard (even if you thought this team was doomed, no one thought the PK would be the reason), and no one expected Cory to struggle right out of the gate.

I am not ranting at you Unseen FYI. Just you made a good post that I thought was a good example.

Please even if you want to, rant away. I won't be offended (and I understand you are not ranting at me in this post). I have no problem with challenging or ranting or whatever as long as it's done in a somewhat mature manner.

I think you hit the nail on the head as far as facts vs. educated guesses go. Years ago most posters posted their arguments as opinion and acknowledged both side of the coin. We understood the answer could lie on either side or somewhere along a virtually endless continuum in the middle. Now we seem to want to post everything as an absolute fact, and many flat out refuse to acknowledge or respect the opposing argument. Undoubtedly I've been guilty of it as well. I think that promotes the relatively toxic atmosphere that has moved in.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I have to admit, I'm a little worried about Jagr and Elias. They both look like Father Time has finally caught up with them, at least so far. I'm hoping it's just a slow start and they both get it going, but seeing how quickly the dropoff was for Selanne last year has me a little nervous it might be happening with our old guys.
Im more worried about Elias.

Not so much Jagr, with Zajac off to a slow start and Zub looking dunesville it's hard to declare much about Jagr.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We better not lose to that POS suck team tomorrow. I'll have to see their pompous fans, who live in denial, tell me that their beloved Loseapeg Jets aren't a lottery contender. :rant:

Move to Quebec you ****ing loser franchise.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
We better not lose to that POS suck team tomorrow. I'll have to see their pompous fans, who live in denial, tell me that their beloved Loseapeg Jets aren't a lottery contender. :rant:

Move to Quebec you ****ing loser franchise.

where do you see Jets fans? in Florida? or you mean online ?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Please even if you want to, rant away. I won't be offended (and I understand you are not ranting at me in this post). I have no problem with challenging or ranting or whatever as long as it's done in a somewhat mature manner.

I think you hit the nail on the head as far as facts vs. educated guesses go. Years ago most posters posted their arguments as opinion and acknowledged both side of the coin. We understood the answer could lie on either side or somewhere along a virtually endless continuum in the middle. Now we seem to want to post everything as an absolute fact, and many flat out refuse to acknowledge or respect the opposing argument. Undoubtedly I've been guilty of it as well. I think that promotes the relatively toxic atmosphere that has moved in.

You probably said what I was trying to last night in another thread better than I did.

Unless Bleed knows some Atlanta fans who converted down in Florida I'm guessing online :P

And I'll be annoyed too, I do not want to see 0-5 at home by Saturday night since I'll be at both games :rant:

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
You probably said what I was trying to last night in another thread better than I did.

Unless Bleed knows some Atlanta fans who converted down in Florida I'm guessing online :P

I know a lot of Canadians go to Florida for the winter, but mostly eastern Canadians so I'm also guessing he means online

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
4 wins and 5 losses. They are not over 500.
Gimme a break. NHL 500 means more wins than REGULATION losses. Up until 9 years ago, shootout losses would be ties. Because there was no shootout.
Only online. They think their team is something else.

An ego the size of the original six combined. Pretty pompous for fans of a team that haven't won jack ****. And have ZERO ****ing playoff wins. Not to mention their only playoff berth was before they even came to their stinkin city.

BLOW JETS BLOW!

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland

Things can only get better if you get pounded in NHL by 3-8. Although things can stay being BAD too, if you keep on getting pounded 3-8 etc. When did Devils yield 8 goals last time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad