Series Talk: Rangers vs. Carolina (Game 1, Sunday May 5th @ 4pm ET, ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I think you missed my point, im just saying us and Carolina finished as 2 of the top 3 teams in the entire regular season. I didn’t say any bad teams would be left.

I also can’t stand having to play within your conference for 2 rounds but that’s just me
Division?

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

Attachments

• check.gif
    check.gif
    700.1 KB · Views: 1

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Kinda pathetic that the #1 and #3 team in the entire regular season have to play each other in the 2nd round

Can we please go back to the old playoff format?
At least we got an easy matchup in the first round. Better than Winnipeg with 110 points having to face Colorado or western champs Dallas with 113 stuck in a death match with Vegas

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
For real?
Not confirmed but he's been practicing with the team for 3 weeks now so just my guess. Why would he be practicing with no restrictions if he isn't going to play. I understand him not playing against Washington because they didn't need him but by the time the next series starts it will be nearly a month since he returned.

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
This forward group is jacked
I just view the Canes forward group as deep.

I have no stats to prove this but I believe that if both teams play their best, the Rangers win. However, I also believe the Canes are more consistent with their play and less likely to lay an egg or have an off night.

I have no idea if Chytil is playing and even if he is, I don't know what to expect from a guy who hasn't played since the fall of last year. He's a wild card.

I like Rempe and believe he does add value in the small amount of minutes he plays. Our record with him in the lineup speaks for itself. However, he is also a wild card because you can't take stupid penalties against the Canes and expect to just score SH goals against them. That being said, the dude scored the opening goal of the last series and took out TVR for the rest of the series. Apparently he also broke Oshie's hand but haven't seen anything official on that. In game 4 it looked like the Caps were legit game planning around Rempe.

The more I think about it, I believe a lot falls on Lav to make the right decisions in terms of matchups and lineups. What worked against the Caps probably won't work against the Canes. Yes, players need to show up but when you play the same team multiple times in a row, the team has to adapt and make changes. I have a lot more faith in Lav than Gallant to put this team in the best position for success.

TLDR:
-Rangers have more potential but Canes are deeper
-Chytil and Rempe are wild cards
-Lav has to continue to make the right coaching decisions to give this team the best chance for success
-Rangers in 7

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
guys like Aho, Jarvis and Guentzel are pretty elusive and hard to hit. I would try to play physical with the Canes though. If Trouba can really connect once or twice. He knocked out Jarvis the last time we were in the playoffs with them. If Rempe plays his mission will be to beat up on their D. If Pesce plays you might as well test his shoulder. Schneider, Cuylle and Goodrow are all guys who can hit hard too.

The first two games at home will set the tone I think for how the series goes. If the Canes come away with a win in either of them the series is probably going long. Rangers forwards need to be on top of Andersen a lot too. Igor IMO is the better goalie but Andersen can get really hot. Got to make his life as miserable as possible.

Florida will be definite favorites over either of Boston/Toronto. Whoever wins our series is very likely facing them so it's not going to get easier. Still you never know....for any of the remaining teams, injuries start to pile up or your goalie loses it or a couple weird bounces, your special teams go south, too many dumb penalties or the officials start hating on you and then you're going home. You need more than just a really solid team to go all the way......you have to have some luck too.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Special teams are the key, and good thing we got some practice at it vs Washington. Carolina will dominate 5v5 posession, they would against pretty much every team against the league. That doesn't mean they are super dangerous. Keep them to the outside, punish them on the PP, Shesty cleans up. Those are my three tenants for the series.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

maddskkilz

Jan 27, 2016
Honestly the Canes scare me but I also think Rangers should be able to hold their own.

Goaltending: EDGE - Rangers
Shesterkin when he’s on his game is one of, if not the best goalie in the league.
Andersen is playing great and can’t be outright dismissed. I think Shesterkin needs to stay composed cuz the Canes will crash the net and Rangers need to do the same to Andersen.

Defense: EDGE - Canes

Fox is the best D man in the series but the hurricanes have quality up and down their D pairs. If Pesce and (can’t believe I’m saying this) D’Angelo are unavailable then that significantly weakens their back end.
I honestly think the series will come down to how well Schneider and Miller play. If this is their coming out party and they can contain Guentzel, Svech, Aho, Jarvis et al then Rangers should be able to advance.

Trouba and Gus on third pair need to limit mistakes

Offense: EDGE - Even

Rangers high end offense is a touch better but Canes have much better depth in their bottom 6. Getting Chytil back lengthens the lineup and helps even out the playing field. We will need contributions from bottom 6 guys. My picks would be for Cuylle and Kakko to step up and be difference makers. If those two can supply some offense and limit Canes offense we should be in a good position in the series.

Have a feeling that extenuating, uncontrollable circumstances (puck luck, etc) will play a big role in this series but I’m hopeful Rangers take the first 2, drop next 2, and then take last 2 to move onto the conference finals.

Reactions: jay from jersey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad