Devils coaching staff

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I mentioned this before but couldn't part of this just be Stevens ideas not fitting with how Hynes and Shero wants the team and system run?

It isn't an unusual reason not to hire a certain assistant and we already know Stevens left once because of differences of opinions.

They were running a really safe system last year while it sounds like Hynes wants the defense more heavily involved in the rush.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mentioned this before but couldn't part of this just be Stevens ideas not fitting with how Hynes and Shero wants the team and system run?

It isn't an unusual reason not to hire a certain assistant and we already know Stevens left once because of differences of opinions.

They were running a really safe system last year while it sounds like Hynes wants the defense more heavily involved in the rush.

I absolutely think it was difference in philosophies, and also a difference in how much autonomy the d-coach has.

And they kept Terreri, probably will keep a couple of the other Albany assistants so we can shelve the idea Stevens was sent packing as part of a systematic purge. Especially if he remains in the organization. Part of me was expecting to see a headline of him going to St. Louis and us flipping our **** about that :laugh:

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra

Exactly.

"Hynes said he talked to five candidates “pretty seriously†about the assistant coach jobs. That group included Scott Stevens and Tommy Abelin, who were members of the Devils coaching staff this past season.

“Then, it came down to we had some pretty specific ideas, not necessarily people, but ideas and criteria that we thought we were going to be important,†Hynes said. “Going through the process, there was a lot of real quality guys, but it just came down to that these two felt like the right fit for us.â€

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Exactly.

"Hynes said he talked to five candidates “pretty seriously†about the assistant coach jobs. That group included Scott Stevens and Tommy Abelin, who were members of the Devils coaching staff this past season.

“Then, it came down to we had some pretty specific ideas, not necessarily people, but ideas and criteria that we thought we were going to be important,†Hynes said. “Going through the process, there was a lot of real quality guys, but it just came down to that these two felt like the right fit for us.â€

Sounds right and a good reason to pick one guy over Scott.

I am curious to see what kind of system they attempt to deploy and how the kids do in it.

Just let Severson do his thing. Kid is special. Greene can cover his mistakes.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I wonder who the fifth guy was they talked to, Nas, Ward, Stevens, Albelin and ? Maybe that guy in Washington who was also rumored and once part of the Pens' AHL affiliate?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah I suppose Oates could have been the fifth as a courtesy, unless he already had his bag packed for SJ.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I get the impression they want to let the kids on D skate and show some of their flare which they all have.

Just from reading anyway I get that impression. I'm ok with this if that is what the system demands.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Party at my place tonight! To celebrate the fact that Foligno is no longer employed by us!

WOO!:handclap::yo:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm wondering if there's also going to be a purge of the training and equipment staff too. There's been some guys on the support staff that have been around for quite a while. Mike Vasalani has been the strength and conditioning coach since before the 95 cup win. It seems organizations don't clean house of the support staff when a change in power happens, at least not frequently or all the time.

My buddy Survived the Lombardi purge in 2003, as did most of the employees. Though Doug Wilson was already in the organization before he became GM and was familiar with everybody.

If they really think medical department is a sore spot though, I can see an overhaul in that area.

Not sure if they think it's a legitimate weak spot, or if that is just a fan perception.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
I'm wondering if there's also going to be a purge of the training and equipment staff too. There's been some guys on the support staff that have been around for quite a while. Mike Vasalani has been the strength and conditioning coach since before the 95 cup win. It seems organizations don't clean house of the support staff when a change in power happens, at least not frequently or all the time.

My buddy Survived the Lombardi purge in 2003, as did most of the employees. Though Doug Wilson was already in the organization before he became GM and was familiar with everybody.

If they really think medical department is a sore spot though, I can see an overhaul in that area.

Not sure if they think it's a legitimate weak spot, or if that is just a fan perception.

Well the players have an important role in strength and conditioning. For example Burrows is a vegan while Kesler relies heavily on meat consumption. Both are opposite styles, yet work. Some players do more strenth training while other do plyometrics.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well the players have an important role in strength and conditioning. For example Burrows is a vegan while Kesler relies heavily on meat consumption. Both are opposite styles, yet work. Some players do more strenth training while other do plyometrics.
Is Burrows really a vegan? I didn't think there were many vegan NHL guys. That's gotta be hard to avoid all that stuff at team meals and what not.
Wait, I thought you were throwing a kegger when Foligno gets let go lol.

I am! But someone else has to bring the kegs man!

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Is Burrows really a vegan? I didn't think there were many vegan NHL guys. That's gotta be hard to avoid all that stuff at team meals and what not.

I am! But someone else has to bring the kegs man!

Bleed can you confirm from the video, or is it a joke. I also read it somewhere else. Although he is a vegetarian, not a vegan. But in the last year he might have went vegan. Hard finding sources although heard him say it in an interview.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bleed can you confirm from the video, or is it a joke. I also read it somewhere else. Although he is a vegetarian, not a vegan. But in the last year he might have went vegan. Hard finding sources although heard him say it in an interview.

I guess he really is then?

It probably wouldn't be quite as hard to be a vegetarian on the road with all the meals in that case. It would be harder to be vegan in that situation though.

I know people who stopped being vegan and just went to vegetarian because they said it was very hard when out on the road and stuff. I'd imagine it's that way in hockey with the meals they're served on the road and on planes and stuff.

They could always tell them to hold the chicken or steak.:laugh: Some of the dairy products have got to be a little harder though.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
My mom's a vegetarian, and it's gotten easier over time as more restaurants and functions like weddings and meetings have provided more vegetarian options. I think over time teammates would get used to that stuff and try to accommodate to a degree.

Vegan is definitely harder, though. My little sister is a vegan, and she has to research special restaurants to go to or order very specific things, and a lot of her friends don't even know what they can possibly serve a vegan.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
My mom's a vegetarian, and it's gotten easier over time as more restaurants and functions like weddings and meetings have provided more vegetarian options. I think over time teammates would get used to that stuff and try to accommodate to a degree.

Vegan is definitely harder, though. My little sister is a vegan, and she has to research special restaurants to go to or order very specific things, and a lot of her friends don't even know what they can possibly serve a vegan.

Yes. But imagine your sister being an athlete. She would need to take 3-5 thousand calories a day. Plus get enough protein. Thats a lot of beans, hemp protein powder and spaghetti.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I went through a short vegetarian phase at about 15 I think?

It lasted about 3 months, maybe even only 2.

I don't eat meat every single day, though I eat some kind of meat products most days.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I went through a short vegetarian phase at about 15 I think?

It lasted about 3 months, maybe even only 2.

I don't eat meat every single day, though I eat some kind of meat products most days.

I can go a couple of days without eating meat, but I couldn't stand not having it in my diet at all. Now diary products I can't imagine not eating every day, so there's no way I could be a vegan.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
One thing that really annoyed me under the Hydra staff, was how bad we were in overtime periods.

Yeah we were great in the shootouts going 3-1 after the coaching change. Probably because they actually knew who the hell to pick in shootout lineups, whereas Dumbeor showed that he didn't know who to pick or what the hell he was doing. As evidenced by Adam Henrique's 1 for 12 in his career, who Dumbeor constantly sent out there.

But we were lucky if we even got to shootouts sometimes after the change. I don't know if this was maybe because we opened up the play more, whereas under DeBoer (aside from times in 13-14) the team looked like they would actually play for the shootout.

I swear we lost about 3 different OT games on identical plays late in the season. The Boston and last Washington games off the top of my head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad