Devils coaching staff

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
Should have kept Stevens IMO. He was good at mentoring the young defenseman after the coaching change and I don't see why he wouldn't be this season too.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Well I wish we kept Stevens around, this seems like a confirmation that he's not going to be back in that capacity. Hopefully he sticks with the organization somewhere.

GhostofKenKlee

Purposeful tank? Good Lord, i hope not. It's bad enough his track record sucked at drafting.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I hope we're not in for a purposeful tank next....That would be even worse.

I think it's called playing the cards that you were given and looking for an opportunity to improve the team if it presents itself.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think it's called playing the cards that you were given and looking for an opportunity to improve the team if it presents itself.

If I were taking over a lottery team had a true #1 goaltending, a very good defense with 3 excellent young players looking like they can be the makings of special unit I would be very happy.

Most GM's taking a position with a lottery team don't have nearly the building blocks we do... Even with the defense's growing pains and inexperience they still finished in the middle of the league in GA.

The card's might not be a pair of Aces, but its no seven-deuce offsuit in Edmonton blue and orange.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
so, i tried to ask the bruins board for their opinion on geoff ward. i didn't really wait too long, but they didn't seem helpful. did an hfboards search, and i can't say i like what i'm seeing in regards to his PP abilities :|

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1657857

a bit more digging, except for 2008-09 and 13-14 (http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/team/_/stat/special-teams/sort/powerPlayPct/year/2014/seasontype/2), it seems that his PP was middling at best. as a note, 08-09, they had kessel, who scored 8/74 ppg for them that year i'm scared.

it's funny they how the fans were crying out to hire oates though :laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So in other words he's our latest hacky sack when our PP invariably finishes 20th or lower

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I would have liked to have seen Stevens stay on, but I completely understand Hynes wanting to bring in his own assistant coaches. I have to say though, it does feel a little strange with all of the Penguins influence that is coming into the organization.

GhostofKenKlee

I would have liked to have seen Stevens stay on, but I completely understand Hynes wanting to bring in his own assistant coaches. I have to say though, it does feel a little strange with all of the Penguins influence that is coming into the organization.

It's too counter all that bad LL loyalty that has taken it's toll on this once proud franchise.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Winning Tradition. A model franchise....Tank and get Mario, two decades later tank and get Crosby and Malkin....

Austin Matthews! is our man! He just fits perfectly for our new organizational philosophy.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I was upset at not bringing back Scotty, I thought he was great and I hope he's on the bench somehow or at least in the organization.

But looking at Geoff Ward's resume I'm pretty happy with having him there.

• 22 years of coaching
  • Head Coach of Kitchener from 1994-98, HC of Guelph in 98-99
  • HC of Arkansas ECHL in 1999-00
  • HC of German teams Bad Nauheim in 2000-01 and Iserlohm in 2006-07
  • 5 years coaching in the Oilers organization, two years being head coach of their AHL affiliate
  • Winner of the AHL coach of the year in 2002-03
  • 7 years as assistant coach with the Boston Bruins
  • HC of champion Mannheim Eagles of the German Deutsche Eishockey Liga in 2014-15

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Winning Tradition. A model franchise....Tank and get Mario, two decades later tank and get Crosby and Malkin....

Austin Matthews! is our man! He just fits perfectly for our new organizational philosophy.

LOL...we'll tank, finish last and then with the new lottery rules, get bounced all the way down to picking 4th.....

GhostofKenKlee

In fairness to Shero, he did inherit all those tank parts from Patrick. He did go all in and try to win a few cups there coming up with one I think he's mindful of what he's inherited here in terms of strengths. I don't trust his drafting, but his asset management seems decent.

I do question Hynes choice of Nasrdienee a huge meh from me. A bigger disappointment would be to know that Stevens is relegated to Alumni events or with another organization.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
The new defense assistant coach has an uphill climb to convince me that he deserved the job over Stevens, who I thought did well with it last season. If the new defense assistant coach can prove that he deserved the job over Stevens, fine--the best man was hired. If not, it really stinks that we just insulted the Hall of Famer who captained us to three Stanley Cups and was qualified for the position. Right now, I mostly feel anger and disappointment with a little room for the new defense coach whose name I'm not going to bother typing right now to prove me wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad