Devils coaching staff

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Shero definitely said something about wanting to know what Marty was thinking, not just about reaching out to Doug. I'm not going to dig through the old articles, as I said, but he definitely indicated more than just speaking to Doug.

Are you sure?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=766593
"The Marty Brodeur question," Shero said. "That's the first one today. You know what? I've only met Marty once or twice in my life and he is still part of St. Louis, I think, so it's hard to give an answer to that. But, I'm sure at some point I'll talk to Doug Armstrong just to see, but I don't know Marty and I don't know in terms of after having stopped playing and being on the other side, did he enjoy it, not enjoy it, does he want to stay in St. Louis? Who knows? So, it will be interesting to see what happens with that."

Shero said as long as Brodeur is employed by St. Louis, he doesn’t plan to try to convince him to return to New Jersey.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I am fine with Shero not giving Marty a front office job (I was never one who wanted Marty for the next GM unless he got a lot of experience first), but the fact remains is he willingly promised to reach out to Marty about such a role. He did not keep that promise when he was in full power to do so. If he didn't want to reach out to Marty he should not have given his word that he would do so either by stating directly that he had no intention of reaching out to Marty about that subject or else by offering a vague response that promised nothing.

Whether or not Marty should have a front office role here is a completely different discussion than whether or not Shero lied to fans. To me, it's pretty clear that he did, or else he's just so forgetful that he probably shouldn't be running this team if he were that negligent. Shero's in trouble with me here because he lied not because he didn't roll out the red carpet and make Marty assistant GM. Shero was dishonest and tried to manipulate the fans by making a promise he never intended to keep. A spade is a spade.

As if Lou never lied to the fans.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

In that very article, he goes onto say:

"He had a fantastic career with the Devils, and I've seen a number of these guys that when they stop playing, it's a little different than they thought in a good or bad way. So it will be interesting to see what he thought."

Shero seems to struggle with being really coherent in the English language, but the implication here is definitely that he's going to speak to Marty unless he is able to telepathically obtain Marty's thoughts about his post-playing career.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008

"He had a fantastic career with the Devils, and I've seen a number of these guys that when they stop playing, it's a little different than they thought in a good or bad way. So it will be interesting to see what he thought."

Shero seems to struggle with being really coherent in the English language, but the implication here is definitely that he's going to speak to Marty unless he is able to telepathically obtain Marty's thoughts about his post-playing career.

That is implication. Not the same as direct quotes.

JerryGigantic

Old Skool
Jul 17, 2006
New York
If I were taking over a lottery team had a true #1 goaltending, a very good defense with 3 excellent young players looking like they can be the makings of special unit I would be very happy.

Most GM's taking a position with a lottery team don't have nearly the building blocks we do... Even with the defense's growing pains and inexperience they still finished in the middle of the league in GA.

The card's might not be a pair of Aces, but its no seven-deuce offsuit in Edmonton blue and orange.

Well said, Jim.

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT

That doesn't imply that he is going to talk to Marty though in context with him saying he would talk to Armstrong earlier. We also don't know if he just let Lou talk to Marty while he talked to Armstrong. There are multiple ways he could have gotten Marty's thoughts without direct contact.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
That is implication. Not the same as direct quotes.

Implication is a major part of communication. If you go through life without inferring or implying anything, people will assume that you have a disorder like Autism. (I don't mean this as an insult to people who suffer from Autism. Merely as an observation about typical communication patterns.)

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Implication is a major part of communication. If you go through life without inferring or implying anything, people will assume that you have a disorder like Autism. (I don't mean this as an insult to people who suffer from Autism. Merely as an observation about typical communication patterns.)

You're really reaching.

My point is: you are painting Shero as a liar based on something he never explicitly said.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
You're really reaching.

My point is: you are painting Shero as a liar based on something he never explicitly said.

I can't find the quote because I don't remember where I read it, but it was based on something he explicitly said. I don't care enough to find it, so people don't have to believe me. I don't care that much either way. I have my opinions based on my memories and interpretation of things. Others are entitled to their own.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I can't find the quote because I don't remember where I read it, but it was based on something he explicitly said. I don't care enough to find it, so people don't have to believe me. I don't care that much either way. I have my opinions based on my memories and interpretation of things. Others are entitled to their own.

Whether or not he said something is not opinion. It's fact. And what I just provided is contradictory to what you're saying ever actually happening.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Not to say Stevens is a bad coach.

But the players also praised the hell out of Oates and most here wanted him gone right away.

Same with Pete.

So I think you have to take player's opinions with a grain of salt. They will warm up to anyone else the coach is downright terrible.

I wasn't necessarily referring to what they said. We all know how Larsson took off under Stevens (and Albelien), but I think the way he handled Gelinas was the best thing that could have happened. Basically hitting the reset button and just trying to develop good habits regardless of outcome. He also seemed to take a load off Merrill, who had been grossly overplayed the first half of the season and probably lead to a portion of his struggles.

It seemed like systematically the defense was just generally more comfortable stepping up and supporting than they were under Pete, who played them uber-conservatively except Zids.

Our defense is going to be our strength going forward, we need to play to their strengths and ensure they're used correctly. I thought what Stevens and Tommy A were doing was a step in the right direction in that regard. But like I said, I'm optimistic for Hynes.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Whether or not he said something is not opinion. It's fact. And what I just provided is contradictory to what you're saying ever actually happening.

There's also a difference between whether someone actually said something and whether you just didn't see a specific quote.

I only remember Shero saying he hadn't talked with Marty 'yet', about a week before he went back to St. Louis. I don't remember Marty's specific quotes. The only thing that bothered me at the time was Shero said he hadn't talked to Marty cause he was still under contract to the Blues and Marty directly contradicted that and said he was free to talk.

Either way I don't care now since it's probably for the best he stayed there at this point. After this Stevens thing especially. God knows if he was still here one bad season and the PR's going to be down the owners' necks to off Shero and make Marty the GM.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
There's also a difference between whether someone actually said something and whether you just didn't see a specific quote.

I only remember Shero saying he hadn't talked with Marty 'yet', about a week before he went back to St. Louis. I don't remember Marty's specific quotes. The only thing that bothered me at the time was Shero said he hadn't talked to Marty cause he was still under contract to the Blues and Marty directly contradicted that and said he was free to talk.

Either way I don't care now since it's probably for the best he stayed there at this point. After this Stevens thing especially. God knows if he was still here one bad season and the PR's going to be down the owners' necks to off Shero and make Marty the GM.

I'm not saying he never said it. I'm saying:
A) I've seen direct quotes saying something contradictory.
B) Until I see those quotes she mentioned, I do not believe it.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

I really don't care if you believe me or not. I remember a different source where Shero said something else, but I'm not going to bother to hunt it down again. That's all I'm saying here, but really I'd just like to be done with this thread, since it's going nowhere happy or productive.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
You're really reaching.

Frankly, I want my GM to lie to the public :laugh:

I don't want a GM that lays all his cards on the table to the media. That's one of the thing I liked about NJ. Most of the rumors were BS because Lou wouldn't give you anything.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Frankly, I want my GM to lie to the public :laugh:

I don't want a GM that lays all his cards on the table to the media. That's one of the thing I liked about NJ. Most of the rumors were BS because Lou wouldn't give you anything.

I'd prefer a GM keep his mouth shut most of the time. Shero talks too much for my liking, to be honest.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Lie is such a hard word...

Half truths, not telling the whole story, giving the listener a false impression is not lying, it is the art of the interview and the duty of the administration to protect his information.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I realize I got drawn off into the tangent myself, but let's try to keep this thread about the Devils coaching staff and leave the general Shero talk to more appropriate threads. Thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad