GDT: Devils @ Caps - 7 PM - Dad Jokes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Even when PAP has scored, his overall game has been underwhelming. I think he played his best game as a Devil tonight.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Even when PAP has scored, his overall game has been underwhelming. I think he played his best game as a Devil tonight.

He's kind of like Ryder was the first 30 or so games that season before he fell off a cliff. Effective when scoring, awful looking when he's not.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The great Beau Bennett obviously :sarcasm:

I'm starting to have enough of him already.

Let Las Vegas pick him up for all I care. He may be unlucky to not have more than one goal but gimme a break already. We need more offense from him and he's not bringing it.

I say the same thing to Sharks fans about that sloth Boedker. Their commentary crew has to let us know ''He's playing great, what a shift for Boeds. Might be his best game as a Shark'' and him having a ''Good game'' is the most you get out of Boedker these days. Boedker is on pace to score 15 points and has like 6 on the season and has played all of the games. Boedker was signed to produce offense and he isn't doing it. I feel like Bennett is approaching that territory for us, though I still think he has a couple more points than Boedker does.

And I don't think Bennett should be scratched, especially if Kalinin, Josefson, Gazdic and whatever other random dude is in the lineup. Just saying that he needs to score more.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Kinkaid needs to start next game and he needs to continue to start if the team keeps winning with him in net.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Kinkaid needs to start next game and he needs to continue to start if the team keeps winning with him in net.

That isn't what you do. You ride the hot hand in the short term, but you have to always transition back to your big time starter. Leaving him on the bench to long is bad on a lot of levels.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
That isn't what you do. You ride the hot hand in the short term, but you have to always transition back to your big time starter. Leaving him on the bench to long is bad on a lot of levels.

I think we can break tradition for a 2.90, .904 goaltender.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think we're gonna win many games where we're allowing 35-45 shots, no matter who is in goal.

Even Kinkaid playing well probably allows 3 or 4 goals in this game on most nights, maybe even more.

Brilliant system that Hiney Head and his staff have got going over there.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't think we're gonna win many games where we're allowing 35-45 shots, no matter who is in goal.

Even Kinkaid playing well probably allows 3 or 4 goals in this game on most nights, maybe even more.

Brilliant system that Hiney Head and his staff have got going over there.

He still has his confidence. Unless they shape up, he will lose it quickly. Even quicker if they decide to ride him into the ground for a few weeks.

At the end of the day Kink is a backup goalie, so you have to know when to jump off the horse before it dies.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Personally, I think Kinkaid's game is better suited to how poorly the devils are playing right now. Cory is a pure puck stopper and doesn't offer much else. With Keith, you can tell that he is better at improvising and scrambling. Some will say that's poor technique but I really enjoy that element of his game and I think it was a huge difference in the game tonight. The Devils are allowing the opposition to create scoring chances from all over the ice and there is very little defensive structure. Kinkaid was throwing all different kinds of looks at the Capitals. Incredible game from him.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Personally, I think Kinkaid's game is better suited to how poorly the devils are playing right now. Cory is a pure puck stopper and doesn't offer much else. With Keith, you can tell that he is better at improvising and scrambling. Some will say that's poor technique but I really enjoy that element of his game and I think it was a huge difference in the game tonight. The Devils are allowing the opposition to create scoring chances from all over the ice and there is very little defensive structure. Kinkaid was throwing all different kinds of looks at the Capitals. Incredible game from him.
This was probably his best game as a Devil, with his game against Pittsburgh last month being the second best. It's actually sad that he's managed to steal points in 3 games where he's faced over 40 shots. Not that I really think he stole the Nashville game, though he was better than Rinne for sure. He absolutely stole a point against Pittsburgh the first time. He could have gotten us two if Greene and other schmucks didn't leave Crosby all alone on the 6 on 5 with 14 seconds left.

I can't find much wrong with his game right now. He hasn't been allowing very many weak goals and even the 4 or so that he's allowed all year weren't even that weak. I think the only game that he's looked not very good was the St Louis game and even in that game, we were brutal and the goals he allowed weren't that horrific. I do have much more confidence in him than last year. I'm not sure what he's done but it's working.

I don't think it's realistic to expect him or Cory to win too many more of these games when facing a zillion shots though. Even in that game against Pittsburgh where he was incredible, we still lost and he still allowed 3 goals but he faced like 49 shots or something. The amount of games where we've allowed close to 50 shots this year is beyond disturbing. Considering that Marty in his entire career only had one game or something before 2008 where he faced 45 or more shots on goal, not including playoff multi OT games. This is the worst defensive Devils team since the pre Lou days.
No because he is our big money goalie who's career stats are stellar.

You have to work him back in and short order. Anything more then the next 2 for Kink would be insanely bad coaching.
Unless he gets 2 shutouts or allows 1 combined goal over the next two, I would go back to Cory immediately. I don't even think I'd play him past Saturday either way, but I think he deserves Saturday. If we lose and he's back in, it would be bad for locker room morale if they go with Kinkaid again for the next game after the Caps. Don't even remember who we play anymore. Don't even wanna look. Is it Boston or something?:help:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
By the way, that shorty was total garbage. I don't even remember if Henrique was the main suspect on that one or if it was the non goal shorthanded chance earlier in the game where Henrique looked awful.

Our PP these days is about as likely to give up a shorthanded chance as Adam Oates coached power play units are.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think we can break tradition for a 2.90, .904 goaltender.

Yeah because you always want to prioritize a 30-game sample size (really a 15-game one) over three years of excellent play before that for a team that needs a telescope to see the second wild card spot anyway even if you find a temporary hot hand in Keith. You don't bench your $6 million franchise goalie long-term in a near-hopeless cause of a season. I'm all for sitting him a week but threatening his job is silly.

Funny how goaltending splits meant nothing when Cory was dominant but now they're gospel when he's playing poorly. At least be consistent. If you're going to give everyone else from the D to the structure to the official scorer credit when Cory has good numbers you can't only blame him when he has bad numbers.

Last edited:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
By the way, that shorty was total garbage. I don't even remember if Henrique was the main suspect on that one or if it was the non goal shorthanded chance earlier in the game where Henrique looked awful.

Our PP these days is about as likely to give up a shorthanded chance as Adam Oates coached power play units are.

Also known as the way Henrique has looked all season.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Yeah because you always want to prioritize a 30-game sample size (really a 15-game one) over three years of excellent play before that for a team that needs a telescope to see the second wild card spot anyway even if you find a temporary hot hand in Keith. You don't bench your $6 million franchise goalie long-term in a near-hopeless cause of a season. I'm all for sitting him a week but threatening his job is silly.

Funny how goaltending splits meant nothing when Cory was dominant but now they're gospel when he's playing poorly. At least be consistent. If you're going to give everyone else from the D to the structure to the official scorer credit when Cory has good numbers you can't only blame him when he has bad numbers.

I remember that guy being all for Marty playing all the games back in 13-14 too even when Marty's numbers were worse or similar to Cory's now

some people will just never like Schneider because he isn't Marty. I've come to that realization from going to the games and interacting with some of our regular fans

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
No because he is our big money goalie who's career stats are stellar.

You have to work him back in and short order. Anything more then the next 2 for Kink would be insanely bad coaching.

Anyone paying attention to what's going on with the Rangers? They literally have a Hall of Fame Goalie who at best is splitting time with a guy with practically zero track record in the NHL. I mean they only have 16 more points than us and a coach who has been to 2 Cup Finals though but what do they know.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Anyone paying attention to what's going on with the Rangers? They literally have a Hall of Fame Goalie who at best is splitting time with a guy with practically zero track record in the NHL. I mean they only have 16 more points than us and a coach who has been to 2 Cup Finals though but what do they know.

ya, I am sure that that has nothing to do with the quality of the team in front of them....

Also, Lundqvist turns 35 soon and has a TON of miles on him. I think its a little bit of a different scenario, but thats just me

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
ya, I am sure that that has nothing to do with the quality of the team in front of them....

Also, Lundqvist turns 35 soon and has a TON of miles on him. I think its a little bit of a different scenario, but thats just me

There's always an excuse...

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
There's always an excuse...

There is.

You take a technical goalie who relies on his positioning over his athleticism and open up the game without being able to control the middle of the ice. Look at how bad Lundqvist looked when the Penguins dominated the Rangers in the playoffs last year.

In all honesty, Kinkaids play style fits much better to the way this team plays. He's much more athletic and plays a more reflex-based game than Schneider. Better chance he can cover to defensive breakdowns.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
so the Rangers roster has nothing to do with why they're a better team than us? its all because they are rotating goalies?

come on now

I don't think we're talking about the same thing.

I'm saying that they don't seem to have a problem using a relatively unknown guy making no money instead of their "elite" goalie with the stellar career (and the humongous ego I might add). If I flip to the Rangers board am I going to hear that Raanta only beats the bad teams or that he shouldn't be playing that much because his success is "too small of a sample size"? I doubt it.

The only thing that might be different in their case is if they just want to keep Henrik fresh for the playoffs but I don't think you'd see this much of a split this early in the year if that were the situation.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
so the Rangers roster has nothing to do with why they're a better team than us? its all because they are rotating goalies?

come on now

That clearly wasn't 217's point. The point is that we shouldn't consider it "off limits" to start rotating goalies if our "elite" one is not performing up to standard.

Some of you guys are really good at constructing strawmans and moving goal posts.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
That clearly wasn't 217's point. The point is that we shouldn't consider it "off limits" to start rotating goalies if our "elite" one is not performing up to standard.

Some of you guys are really good at construct strawmans and moving goal posts.

Yes, thank you. There is so much parity (in a good way) with goalies now that there really shouldn't be any hesitation to use whichever guy is performing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad